Puzzled (Serpentine Question).

kopeck

TDI
Golf, 2001, Silver
Morning,

My '01 Golf was making a chattering noise at idle. You could see the tensioner bouncing a bit and if I pushed on the shock the chatter went away.

After doing a little research it sounded like my alternator pulley was probably on it's way out. Before ordering parts I went out to check things out though. I pulled the belt off and I'll be if I can find anything wrong with anything. The alternator pulley works perfectly, I jammed the armature and it turns smoothly in one direction and locks in the other. The idler spins nice and smooth as does the idler on the tensioner.

I put it all back together and for what ever reason chattering seemed to be better. It's not completely gone but considerably less noticeable.

So...that leaves the shock, right? I can't think of any other thing it could be. Just running it past you folks before I order parts.

Thanks,

K

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The shock does wear out, yes.... check for play in the rest of the tensioner though. If it's sloppy it will simply trash the new shock so if that's the case just change the whole thing.

kopeck

TDI
Golf, 2001, Silver
The idler on the tensioner spun free put had a bit of play in it, not a lot but a bit of wiggle.

Maybe I should bit the bullet and do the whole thing. That sucker isn't cheap.

K

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
You don't have to buy an OEM part. Gates the quality timing belt manufactuer does a tensioner at a reasonable price. About £74.00 GBP

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
i bought a dayco part at advance and it was actually an oem litens tensioner in the box

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I would replace the complete tensioner, idler pulley and the serpentine belt if it hasn't been done in a while.
If it still seems to chatter somewhat then I would do the alt pulley too.
Then you can forget about it for a while and not worry about busting the accessory bracket..........but thats just me.

verboten1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta '02 5 door "20th"
Idparts has a tensioner kit with belt for cheaper than the tensioner and idler separately

mauipetr

TDI
1999 Beetle
I just have posted video about replacing drive belt tensioner assembly….
i have also video of replacing shock only, in the case you are interested…..
GOOD LUCK with your repairs
Have a nice day.