Cold Weather starting problems

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI. 2 years ago it started having a lot of trouble starting in cold weather, Like anything below 40 degrees. I changed the glow plugs and it didn't help the problem. I then installed a coolant heater and that works awesome, when I can plug it in. When I can't plug it in, it will crank and crank and eventually start. I have noticed the glow plug light only stays on for 2-3 seconds even when it's very cold out. The other day, the engine was warm and it was 50 degrees out and the glow plug light stayed on for about 15 seconds.... that was the first time that happend though. noramlly it never stays on for more than 2-3 seconds no matter how cold out it is. When it is warm weather..no problems.Can anyone please help?? Thanks Jeremy

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
do you have a check engine light on?

Also, do you see any bubbles in the fuel line going to the filter when you're cranking?

You're very lucky - you live in the same town as one of the respected gurus around here!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Your coolant temp sensor is most likely faulty. Very common. The temp sensor "tells" the ECU it is much warmer than it actually is so the GPs dont stay on, or come on at all, when they should. They are easy to change, fairly cheap, and known to fail.

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I am new to this site. Thank you for you help. Yes, I have a check engine light on and I'm not sure about the bubbles in the fuel line. Not sure how to check that. I'm just learning how to do everything myself on these cars. Where would I find the coolant temp sensor? I guess I need to ind or buy a tool to check and see what the enigne light is on for.
Like I said, I'm very new to this...who is the respected guru around here?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am new to this site. Thank you for you help. Yes, I have a check engine light on and I'm not sure about the bubbles in the fuel line. Not sure how to check that. I'm just learning how to do everything myself on these cars. Where would I find the coolant temp sensor? I guess I need to ind or buy a tool to check and see what the enigne light is on for.
Like I said, I'm very new to this...who is the respected guru around here?
I don't think bad CTS will throw a check engine light since the ECU accepts the data as correct, but you should get it scanned so you know what that CEL is for, or any other(s).
Coolant Temp Sensor is on the drivers side end of the head.
Go to a site like idparts to reference what it looks like so you know what to look for.
There should be a section of relatively clear fuel line just before the injection pump coming out of the fuel filter. While its running look for air passing thru it. A little is OK-steady stream indicated air leak usually at the "T" fitting on filter.

Last edited:

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Both hoses coming from the fuel filter are both black hoses. I can't see if there is air in with it. It only has trouble starting when it's cold out and blows a little white smoke once I do get it started. after a few seconds the white smoke goes away. When it's warm out....no problems at all.
I'll take it and get it scanned and let you know what that says also, if that's ok. Thanks

Last edited:

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Alright... I got the check engine light codes. There are a few. I hope someone can help.

1. p0671 Glow Plug/Heater Cylinder 1

2. p0118 Engine Coolant Temp. Circuit High Input

3. p0128 Coolant Temp. Below Thermostat Regulating Temp.

So.... Where do I start and are these all linked?
I put all 4 new glow plugs in about 2 years ago.
now I'm not sure where to go from here..Please help
Thanks, Jeremy

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Remove the plug harness connector and check the continuity of all glow plugs with a test light or DVOM (digital volt-ohm meter). Put one probe on the cylinder head (to ground it) and touch the other probe to each glow plug electrode. Continuity means the plug is good. I think #1 may be in reverse order on an '02, so it may be the one next to the flywheel.

As for the temperature related codes, I suggest replacing the coolant temperature sensor. These are a high failure item. There is a "how to" on here for that.

--Nate

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Thanks for your help. I got the Coolant sensor today and I hope I have time to work on it tmrw or Weds. With testing the glow plug electrodes...(this is the part that plugs onto the glow plug..right??) Does the car need to be running or just the key turned?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Test GP's with engine off. Touch one probe of an ohm meter to the tip of the GP and the other lead to the cylinder head close to where the glow plug screws into. There are How-To's for testing GP's and changing the CTS.

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I got the new coolant temp sensor from NAPA. Int the how to section it says to replace the "O" ring seal on this. The new sensor did not come with a new one. Shouild it have come with one or do I need to buy one separately?
Thanks

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I guess it depends where you buy it from. I bought one from the local VW dealer last year and it came with the o ring. You will want to get one. Best advice is to take the one from Napa back and get one from one of the TDIClub vendors or stop by the delaership and pick one up. You want the one with the green top.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
JPN, welcome to Fred's! Do not overlook checking your basic timing once you have addresses these other problems.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You'll need VAGCOM/VCDS to check...it takes about 60 seconds to verify the setting.

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I can't find the coolant temp sensor.... I tried looking where they said in the how to section..behind the 3 plugs going in and I don't have that or can't find it anywhere. I've followed the lines and can't find it. Please help

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Since you are close to some Gurus I would recommend ringing one up and see when they have free time to take a peek at your timing with VCDS. The only real way to adjust timing is with VCDS so if you don't have one you either have to buy $$ one or borrow the time of someone that does have one. Other than that you should be set.

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
When I put my frost heater in a couple of years ago I replaced the coolant with Prestone, the kind that says you can add to any make/any model/any color. I'm reading on the how to section to replace the coolant temp sensor (I'm waiting on the part in the mail) and it says to only replace with G12. SO how bad is it that I put the other in it and what should I do?
Thanks

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Ok, I'M Back....
I changed the coolant temp sensor and did sseveral coolant flushes until it was clear. I then put the G12 coolant in.
I am still having a lot of problems getting it to start when it is below about 38 outside. A lot harder when it's in the teens or below. I will turn it over several times and eventually it will start and blow some white smoke for a minute. When it is above 40 out, it starts perfect. No problem at all.
I'm still getting a check engine light. Only when I start it up when it's cold out the light comes on. I clear it each time. Which is a lot right now. P0128 coolant below regulating temp. and P0000 Generic code.

can anyone please help and advise me on what I should do or check next?
Thank you

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Ok. I'll try and find a place to get that done. Not sure where to start to fond someone or some place that does that. Thank you

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since you are close to some Gurus I would recommend ringing one up and see when they have free time to take a peek at your timing with VCDS. The only real way to adjust timing is with VCDS so if you don't have one you either have to buy $$ one or borrow the time of someone that does have one. Other than that you should be set.
Apparently there must be some members close by w/VCDS. Most, like myself, would gladly check it n/c for you. Check out the VCDS sticky link to see who may be close by, if you haven't already.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Ok. I'll try and find a place to get that done. Not sure where to start to fond someone or some place that does that. Thank you
- Get a guru
As it's been posted a couple of times, get the guru in your area to look over the car. He/she will run Vag Com and diagnose the hard start. It's a good opportunity to have all the mechanicals checked over. Well worth the investment.

- For hard starting
Try turning your key to 'on' to cycle the glow plugs. Count to 10. Then start the car. I've found that giving it more than just 2-3 seconds helps a lot for a really cold start.

- Glow plug codes
You may have a faulty glow plug harness. Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet. If the glow plugs have the proper resistance, the problem may be with the harness. These are common failure items. You can get a replacement from idparts.

jpn2dfire

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I've tried looking at the Vag Com stickey link and can only find 1 person about 45 min away, but I don't see where it tells any info about them or how to contact them. My zip code is 43021. I'm just north of Columbus, Ohio. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Thanks for your help.