getting engine to fire asap after cylinder head/cam replaced 04'BEW

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
Hello,Need advice I have installed reconditioned cyl, head. new cam kit, t belt etc, is there a good way to prime fuel to the injectors to get this to fire quickly to break in new cam? its a mk4 04' BEW

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Assuming your in-tank electric fuel pump is working, fuel should get pumped into the tandem pump and the passages in the head in a few seconds.

Getting the air out of the injectors can be accomplished by removing the glowplugs and then cranking until you see diesel mist coming out of the glowplug holes.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
Use a handheld vacuum pump and plug it in the return line of tandem pump.

Once you get fuel from return line, it means that the head and injectors are full of fuel.

teitel39

TDI
quick start after cylinder head with new cam

Thanks so much. I will have most of this weekend with favorable temps to wrap this up will give an update when Finne',

teitel39

TDI
Runs great. For the record I did cycle the key several times using the vacuum pump in between cycles after I got fuel from the return side. I cranked it 2 times with the glowplugs out didn't get any fuel mist, cranked it about 3-4 second each time no fuel, so I thought well it ran (badly) before I tried 1 more crank 3-4 seconds. no fuel, I put the glows back in torqued them plugged them in, Glowed it. cranked it and it fired right up it labored the first 10 seconds. I think getting some more air out of injector's etc, Well thanks everyone hope this experience helps someone else.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Sounds about right. Normally you’d have to crank it for 20 or 30 seconds continuously to get all the air out. With the glowplugs out the engine turns over easily so it shouldn’t hurt the starter motor.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Before you hit the starter, make sure the fuel filter is full of fuel. The key cycled several times works. The quickest and easiest way to prime the PD injector is to remove the glow plugs and run the starter. The engine will spin faster and the fuel will come up quicker. And you can see the proof for fueling.

Run the starter in 10 second intervals, watching under the hood for the mist coming up from each injector hole. Usually, it's one-at-a-time, an injector will start to mist fuel out of the gp hole, then two, three... and when the fourth one shows fuel, insert the gp's and the engine should start very quickly.