Audi A6 145 BHP (Was 110)SE

Tony Dean

In October last year I took delivery of my new A6 110 SE, 5 Speed Manual in Silver.
It came with the BOSE Symphony Music System, Front Armrest, Sports Suspension and Wood Trim plus the usual remote central locking and climate control.

After the initial shakedown period, 7 weeks and 10000 miles, the car returned to the main dealer for it's first service and one or two warranty repairs, a) new fan for the heater due to it being out of balance and shaking the car to bits when it spun up to high speed, b) new door pocket assy's for both front doors and offside rear door, hinge mechanisms and damped controls breaking!!!!,and cupholder collapsing.

I requested the service's to be every 10000 miles rather than Audi's Variable Service Interval which meant the car could have gone to 19000 miles before an oil change.

The car has been brilliant from the off, even though we have had one or two niggly things go wrong performance has been adequate and fuel consumption being in the region of 45.5 mpg over the first 17500 miles.
And it's the performance being adequate that made me pay a visit to Motorsport Developments in Blackpool Lancs.
The two guys there Stu and Kenny were very helpful, explaining the in's and out's of remapping the ECU for extra performance. They carried out the work while I waited and the difference in driving was apparent immediately. The thing pulls like a steam train in all gears cutting the time taken to accelerate between 30-50 and 50-70 dramatically. We think that the BHP as gone up to 145 and the lbs torque to 235 (these figures have yet to be confirmed but are close enough)

The most supprising aspect of this package is the actual fuel consumption. Over a period of 5 weeks (to date) and 7220 miles the average mpg is now 56.8 an increase of 11.3. On a motorway run at normal speeds of between 70-80 I have seen on the computer trip 63-66 mpg.
To say I am pleased with the chipping is an understatement and enforces my belief in VW/Audi diesel engines as some of the finest, making the car a real joy to drive. If anybody out there is looking for an increase in performance at minimal cost without going for allout performance then a "new chip" by Motorsport Developments is the way to go, you will not be disappointed.