Aero exhaust

mercinariesgtr

TDI
2k1 golf tdi
I am going to be putting on a aero turbine exhaust on my tdi and i was wondering whether i should get the resonated or non-resonated version, i want my car to be loud but not " pull me over " loud. any help would be great.
-caleb

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've got a 4040XL on mine and with just the muffler is was no where near "get pulled over" loud (however a 4" straight pipe is pretty loud :)). It had some drones/resonances at certian RPM's but I think if it was where the OEM muffler was it wouldn't be as bad (mine's where the cat used to be in the middle of the car).

Silverbox - is yours in the OEM location at the back of the car?

mercinariesgtr

TDI
2k1 golf tdi
Fix_Until_Broke said:
I've got a 4040XL on mine and with just the muffler is was no where near "get pulled over" loud (however a 4" straight pipe is pretty loud :)). It had some drones/resonances at certian RPM's but I think if it was where the OEM muffler was it wouldn't be as bad (mine's where the cat used to be in the middle of the car).

Silverbox - is yours in the OEM location at the back of the car?
doesnt the xl mean that its resonated ? i think that im going to go with the non-resonated version though, i just dont want something that drones really badly and starts to be annoying to drive with

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
It's probably as much the 4" pipe that is 6+ feet long after the muffler that causes the drones as anything. I ended up putting a 2nd muffler in back where the OEM one is located and it completely eliminated any droning/resonances. I think having the muffler toward the back helps this.

Going with a smaller pipe should help as well - I'm the first to admit that 4" will provide negligable gains over a 3".

I think the XL is just a longer version, don't know about a resonated or non resonated version. Their website is a bit "too good to be true" for me.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Yes it's the resonated version, I wanted it quiet. I think the non resonated would be enough. I have it in the stock location with a slight turn down after the aero.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I did not notice mpg increase. I used the aero because it gives at least the same flow as a straight pipe and it's quiet. If any of their claims are true it's a bonus.
I first heard of the Aero in one of stingrays posts, I figured if he was using them they could not possibly rob HP.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
silverbox said:
I did not notice mpg increase. I used the aero because it gives at least the same flow as a straight pipe and it's quiet. If any of their claims are true it's a bonus.
I first heard of the Aero in one of stingrays posts, I figured if he was using them they could not possibly rob HP.

Yes that´s correct, it works fine so.......it´s thermal mufflers and for diesel exist not any better.......