Car won’t turn over.

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
So my car won’t turn over. Can’t figure the problem out. Starter isn’t bad, battery is fine. I ran a wire from from small wire off starter to battery and the car turned right over. Went and checked the switch on the clutch, the plastic around it was broken so it was just hanging there, figured that would be my problem. I bypassed the switch, still no go, plugged the switch back in because I realized when the clutch is depressed, that switch is out, so even if that bracket was broken it wouldn’t matter because it would be out right ? I can’t figure the problem out. I’m pretty sure my ignition switch is fine because I can hear a small little click underneath the dash when I turn the key. But no movement what so ever from the starter, not even a click. What’s going on??

Last edited:

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
Well found the problem. Little wire coming off starter solenoid had a connector on it and it was all corroded. Cut the wires and put a new connector on and she started right up

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Gland you found the problem...

In reference to the clutch switches......
To be clear, there are actually two separate clutch switches. One switch is normally closed and serves to kick out the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed. The other switch is normally open and serves to complete the solenoid circuit to the starter when the clutch pedal is depressed when starter the engine.