2013 JSW LED Headlight installation

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Difficulty: Hard

For those that was plug and play, there are some LEDs that have the adapter integrated and are actually P&P, but they do cost $100 a pair. For those who are up to a challenge and want to save some $$ at the same time, keep reading.

The LEDs I purchased were 9600 Lumens and 6k heat range, mostly white, for $40/pair. When purchasing I saw others that were purchasing these metal adapters required for "most mercedes, vw, and other german cars" so I purchased those too. Then I proceeded to read multiple YouTube's on others that had done LED conversions on VWs. Seemed pretty "simple" and straight forward. I assure you, it is not easy.

Once the pieces and parts arrived I went to work to figure out how to get them installed. Quickly I learned that removing the headlight assemblies from the car and performing this surgery is much easier than trying to work in the small space under the hood and fenders, not being able to see what you're doing. Looked at multiple YouTubes to figure out how to get the headlight assemblies out. Seemed pretty straight forward except to get the clips to release the bumper cover. After going primate on the cover, the clips finally released and I was able to get the bumper cover loose and pushed down out of the way of the headlights.

Next was unplugging and removing the assemblies. I noticed others that taped their fenders and lenses so they didn't get scratched in the process. Seemed like a good idea, so I did that. Also noted to use a Sharpie to mark current position of the assemblies to avoid having to aim the headlights after install. also used tape on the garage door to identify the hot spots and horizontal diffuser lines of each side. Once marked the car cannot move until everything is back together to guaranty same targets.

After getting the headlights out and in the house I quickly discovered the metal mounts that I had ordered were incorrect. So I went online to find some correct adapters to make this work and ordered them. They happen to be the right adapters for 2010 - 2015 Passat.

The new adapters showed up and I tried them in the headlight buckets to make sure they work. they fit but once I put them in and removed them, some of the solder joints came loose and fell apart. So I decided to solder all the connections just to make sure the wouldn't come loose after installation.

Now trying to put the LEDs into the adapters, this is where the heavy engineering comes in. Did I mention these are not Plug and Play? So the LED lights fit in the holes but where the power wires connect on the adapter fitting interfere with the cooling fins of the LED. So, delima, modify the adapter or grind/file down a section of cooling fins to fit. Since the adapters could not be modified enough to house the fins, grinding fins it is. Not all, just the one side where the adapter wires had to be resoldered anyway.

Once I gound the fins the lights fit but not snug. There needed to be some sort of something holding the backside tight against the adapter. And God created zip ties and saw they were good. Once thick zip tie was in place, and then massaged to fit in the headlight assembly, it worked. Side by side comparison of original bulb and socket compared to adapter with LED.

Once LEDs were firmly attached to the adapters, time to install into the assemblies.

Now to check the front and make sure the LEDs are at 3 and 9 o'clock with the LED bar at 6 and 12. This way the diffuser will have effect and hopefully I won't be blinding oncoming traffic. (also it was recommended by the LED manufacturer to install them this way)

During this enitre installation I kept checking continuity to the bulbs through the assembly and even went so far as to connect a 12v power source to the assembly plug and ensure the lights illuminated. Once installed I had a small issue with polarity that was quickly resolved. No lights on the dash (after polarity was resolved) and they look great. May have to zoom in on this pic but you can see they are on and bright in the middle of the day. Now I need to get the LEDs to replace the small 2825 Parking Lights to get rid of the yellow halogen in the assembly.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
do you have any pictures of how you took off the bumper cover? i have a set of HID deauto for my low beams and a LED set for my highbeams/drl and it looks like ill have to take off my front bumper cover to get to the headlights.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Looks like quite the involved process, bet you're glad it's done.

What are your impressions after having finished the job? How is the improvement of light output at night?