//// what gear oil / oil should I use ? ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to change my engine oil ( currently at about 15500 miles .... planning on oil analysis for first time mainly out if curiosity and because of my extended oil change (I typically went by the book at 10k miles but since I do long distance highway I think I should be good more more distance before an oil change)...

Anyways since I have to go through the trouble of removing the the plastic engine belly pan I might as well do the tranny fluid also while I'm under there (been about 100k miles ... plus I got a magnetic drain plug I want to put in ...).

I read a lot of previous threads about fluids but since some were old I figured I'd ask what is the latest and greatest fluid to use ? I want the best of all three worlds good transmission protection good fuel economy and good shift quality...

What should I get? ( I'm pretty sure gl4 is what I seek)

Thanks

Andrew

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
There is a sticky in this section of the forum. You should check it out.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=132884

It details in length forum member experience with trans oil. I like the stock VW trans fluid. Part number g052 171 a2. That is the synthetic Vw uses in the 02m trans. Very nice shift quality. I tried the vw suggested fluid which has superseded our factory fill from g052 726 a2 to g060 or 70 and i was not a fan of the shift quality of either newer formulations. Shifts were not smooth and for the first time I found myself grinding gears. I changed oil soon after and grinding stopped. I have AMSOIL mtg 75w90 in right now. Shift quality is also good. Other forum members have had good shift quality pennzoil Syncromesh. If you currently have grinding going on members have used the syncromesh as a remedy with decent success (from what I have read). There are some fluids that are gl4/gl5 like royal purple which claim to be yellow metal safe. I have used that oil in my vr6 o2j trans and that shifted well. The trans shop raved about it so I tried it. It worked well. Nothing earth shattering though.

In summary, pick an oil and try it out. If it grinds, drop it and try another until you find one that shifts nicely. Gl4 or a gl4/gl5 rated oil is what you should look for. Just make sure the fluid you chose in brass safe.

That’s been my experience. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
you have an ALH, run Rotella T6 5w40 from Wal-Mart in the engine every 10k miles and factory G60/G70 from idparts or cascade german or your dealership in your trans every 100k.

no need to overthink it.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input ... In my reading i think the go52 was supposed to be the best but discontinued .... i may keep it simple and stick with the vw stuff .. I was just seeing if there was anything better but I need to change engine oil and tranny fluid so I guess better not to put them off too long researching .... maybe next go around! ;-)

Thanks

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I used the new Redline MT-LV fluid mixed 50/50 with Superlight Shockproof.

One of the TDI gurus recomends mixing the factory 02J fluid with Superlight Shockproof so that is also an an option.

The Superlight Shockproof really improved the notchiness with higher mileage gearboxes. It was very noticeable.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

Update : today I changed the tranny oil ... it was darker in color than the vw g70 fluid I hit from id parts (the 70 looked almost clear whereas what came out of the tranny was kind of like amber colored motor oil .... I'm not sure what was in the trans but it was some vw oil since I had the dealer do it while they were inspecting the car about 110k ago...

Subjectively speaking the old fluid seemed thicker despite being warm from the tranny .... the old fluid smelled more like gear lube than th ed new stuff (to confirm I'll sniff the contents of the empty new bottle again).

The change went relatively uneventfully but I was surprised how long it took to put the two quarts back into a transmission via the funnel kit sold by I'd parts ....

While I was making the change I did install a magnetic drain plug from ECS Tuning ....

I'm anxiously awaiting to see how the new fluid shifts ....
I got rained out before I had a chance to put the new dog' bone on so the car is still on ramps and belly pain is still off.... hoping tomorrow is a better day weather wise...

Thanks for all your input and for the link...

I'll try to update a thread after some driving....

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

One of the TDI gurus recomends mixing the factory 02J fluid with Superlight Shockproof so that is also an an option.

The Superlight Shockproof really improved the notchiness with higher mileage gearboxes. It was very noticeable.
Matt gave me the same recommendation and the quite noticeable as well for me. As for engine oil I have been using Rotella however suggested that I move to Redline due to my mods and driving style and perhaps the current high mileage even though I think that the engine has barely been broken in. :)

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

Just an update, but I did get my go70 oil in a few days back and I've already driven it several hundred miles.

I think the oil seems to be working really well so far.

It used to be I had a problem when it was cold out downshifting from 2 to 1 .... that seems much improved, although to be honest The coldest we've had so far was 39° So not super cold, but subjectively. I think it's better. I'll wait for a day when it's in the twenties to verify.

My shift from 4 to 5 seems smoother So I'm very happy with the oil so far.

In a little bit. I'll have about 500 miles on the odometer and I'll fill up and hopefully I'll see improved fuel mileage maybe.

Since the last time the car was at the dealership they did the fluid change. I'm not sure what they use, but I'm assuming it was some sort of Volkswagen oil.

When I did drain the oil out it almost look like motor oil in terms of having a brownish yellowish tint Whereas the current fluid I'm using is pretty much clear.

Just curious but since there's no actual combustion to interfere with or contaminate the transmission fluid Is there anything wrong with running it for a long time? How long time does it actually break down? Do the additives break down or do we mainly change it because of small metallic particles from wear?

I mainly Drive continuously when I drive so getting up to operating temperature and baking out moisture is not an issue.

Andrew

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Matt gave me the same recommendation and the quite noticeable as well for me. As for engine oil I have been using Rotella however suggested that I move to Redline due to my mods and driving style and perhaps the current high mileage even though I think that the engine has barely been broken in. :)
I've never been impressed with a Redline UOA. The best UOA I've seen with Redline was the regular HP 5w40 blended with the C3 or Mid saps 5w40 euro formula in a diesel vehicle.

Driven makes a HP 5w40 Diesel Oil called DP40 which may also be a good option for a highly modified car.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Joe+Gibbs+Ra...MI2aWZ-8C55wIVicpkCh05lgoBEAQYASABEgIHV_D_BwE

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI

Hello there, so no red flags as using the specific fluid "Red Line Superlight Shockproof" mixed with the right GL-4 synthetic fluid? when it comes to VW transmissions and specifically the VW longitudinal ones such as the 012 (similar ones used in somegasoline Audis, Passat B5.5 1.8T gasser and some Porsches).

Here is what Red Line says regarding their Superlight Shockproof transmission fluid:

Acting like a liquid grease, these unique lubricants contain a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent, offering a "best of both worlds" balance of low drag and superior protection for gear teeth

• Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection
  • 40% lower coefficient of friction and 250% of the load carrying capacity of conventional gear oils
  • Relatively low viscosity, yet cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure
  • Helps to prevent tooth breakage, resists throw-off
  • Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging
  • Designed for wet sump transmissions and differentials with splash lubrication
So again I would appreciate any reason that would damage our VW manual transmissions in any way?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok as a follow up to my post above I was doing more searches regarding "Red Line Superlight Shockproof" and I came to this site:

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/gear-oil-red-line-mt-lv-1qt/

with the following statement:

Ideal for all VW 5-speed manual transmissions when mixed with superlight shockproof (1 quart MT-LV, 1 quart Superlight Shockproof).

For me this is the first time that it is recommended explicitly on a website of a reputable vendor (per my own research) to do this mix 50/50. Interesting enough, when I went looking for the Superlight Shockproof product about two hours ago, Cascade German site did not have it :confused: So I called them and talked to a gentleman who told me that he did not foresee any incompatibility between Red Line Superlight Shockproof and a VW longitudinal transmission such as the 012. He also realized that the RL Superlight Shockproof has not been posted to their site and it is now available:

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/gear-oil-red-line-superlight-shockproof-1qt/

So personally I feel that this Red Line transmission fluid mix is worth a try. Perhaps not for 100,000 miles but how about 50,000 or 75,000 miles?

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
GL-4 rated Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-80 specs to compare

One place to start is to look at the specs of the manual transmission oil along with the reputation of the company and of course user reviews you may find online. Here are two additional choices of GL-4 rated Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-80 (BG is synthetic and the LiquiMoly is mineral based):

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/

https://products.liqui-moly.com/top-tec-mtf-5100-75w-7.html
I just spoke to my local VW dealer in Gaithersburg, MD and they actually use BG Synchro Shift II in all their manual transmission gear oil changes, O2J, O2M, 02Q.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Just changed out my fluid to pennzoil synchromesh last night. Had a 2-3 slight grind issue. Synchromesh fixed it! Good stuff, Im sold.
Had some ravenoil synthetic GL-4 in it for last 50K. Worked ok, but the synchromesh is smoother.