Windshield Washer Hose

vw#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta pd tdi white 5 spd
Hi
My Windshield washer hose has broken!
The reason it broke was cold weather, The cause was it wasn't taped up to the plastic radius support.
This break occurred where the hose comes by the passenger side hood hinge. Take a look and make sure it doen't happen to you. (sloppy winter roads are not the place to drive with your head out the window)

DrewD

Veteran Member
Mine broke last month by getting pinched by the hood hinge too; it was taped to the plastic radius support.

I repaired it by sliding some fuel line hose over both ends and using a zip tie to secure it. Works good and won't break again in same spot.

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, DSG, Pkg 0, White.
I had the same problem. Used the same fix. Seems like a stupid design anyway. Squirters would be better in the plastic cowl, instead of the hood. That way the hose wouldn't crack from opening the hood.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
That same thing happend to the other TDI in the family. We ended up just taking it to Norden VW (where the car was purchased) and they fixed it right up. They also did the radio flash at the same time and there has been no problem since. vw#2, lets hope we don't see another cold snap like that again!

doppx006

TDI
06 Jetta TDI Silver 5-Spd Manual
Mine just broke 3 days ago, Rubber hoses have worked for how many years?? and VW thinks that plastic wrap for your computer wires will still be flexible in cold weather, smart one VW smart one.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Fixed under warranty last month. New battery same visit and they
cleaned and tightened some grounds around fuse box and on the
generator (alternator).

Bill

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
It happened to me, too. I didn't even bother going to the dealers. I found a scrap heavy rubber tube, cut a piece and fit it. Works like a charm and I like it much better than that cheap stock little piece of hair that had broken.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
I wonder if thats the same type of fastner they use on my B5.5 Passat? During our cold spell this week I noticed the resevoir is empty and doesn't hold fluid, same thing happend last year. The tech said, at the time, it had come loose underneath. I'm blaming myself for not adding enough cold-temp cleaner. The thing is, you can't reach it from above, you have to remove wheel well to get to it, so they say.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Mine just broke this last weekend, I called the deal and was told to stop in and they would be able to fix it without an apt. I waited there for 45 minutes for them to tell me that since the hood liner needed to be removed a mechanic needs to replace it (not the oil change guys). And of course they were all busy. I drove home hardly able to see.

VW dealers really aren't doing VW any good at all.

I may just fix it myself.

tirider

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yup,

Mine broke too. Right at the Passenger side hood hinge. VW dealer spliced in a piece of clear tube and wrote it up as "replace windshield washer hose". I guess they got their money's worth when reporting that warranty "replacement".

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
Mine broke too. I used the DrewD fix and in addition placed some split plastic conduit protection (3/4") over it all from the above the plastic finger on the hood into the well. A little cheap armour until the dealer fixes it,..... and then I'll cover their repair job with the conduit.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The hose is good so far, but the RH nozzle pours washer fluid out every time I open the hood. The nozzles should have been on the cowl.

BMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Mine broke today when I opened the hood to replace low washer fluid. The plastic feed lines appear very cheap. I will try to fix with silicone tubing.

Cheers

BMac

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mine broke last week... Hard living without washers on the freeway in the NW! Calling the dealer today. Why on earth would VW use a hard line at a frequently flexed location???

jaz761

TDI
06 A5 0 5M
I did surgical tubing and zip ties to bridge the gap until I can get some time to leave the car at the dealer. I wonder if they will replace it with something better? I think that the original line is not only brittle but also can get pinched when the hood is closed. I've been tucking mine in before I close the hood now.

Jeff

06 Jetta TDI 5M 0

CATDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 A5 Jetta TDI Pkg #3
Less than 5K miles on my car and my hose is busted as well. And this is in sunny CA! The odd thing is that my Moms 2006 TDI is fine. Perhaps a design change.

-Ed

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I'm going on vacation, so naturally the hose snapped on the way home today. I made up a splice and slid it into both ends of the split with sealer and taped it all back up so you can't see the repair, but I'd like to put together a permanent fix when I get home. Has anyone ever replaced the hose with rubber and can you get to it if you take out the fender skirt?

Another thing I'm wondering about is that little shelf that the hose sits on, next to the hinge. My hose was taped down to it. I'm wondering if the hose shouldn't be taped, so it can move up when the hood is closed and maybe put less stress on the hose.

26point2

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI SLine P+
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this happened to my 06.5...I have a 10ft lenght of clear rubber tubbing that I was going to use to replace the whole stock line, but when I read in Bently's on how to remove the line from the fluid resivor...step 1 was: "Remove front bumper.." Great design VW..

Craig

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
26point2 said:
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this happened to my 06.5...I have a 10ft lenght of clear rubber tubbing that I was going to use to replace the whole stock line, but when I read in Bently's on how to remove the line from the fluid resivor...step 1 was: "Remove front bumper.." Great design VW..
No sure what is wrong with the fact that you have to remove bumper to get to the washer fluid tank. Do you plan to do it every day?

Anyway, I have replaced the whole line when I was installing headlight washers wiring (along with the oem wiring for fogs and HIDs). It is not worth. Too much work.

Second, the actual problem with the pipe is not due because it is too stiff. The problem is it is too short between the hood and a chassis and every time you open the hood there is a tension on the pipe at the edge of the plastic bracket at the hinge.

What I would recommend to everybody with the new car is to cut a bit of that plastic bracket under the washer pipe, so it can start bending at longer radius.

Last edited:

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Don't have the dealer fix it. It is a deficient design and will break again.

I used some rubber vacuum tubing, appropriate fittings, electrical tape and zip-ties. No problems ever since.

26point2

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI SLine P+
maloosheck said:
No sure what is wrong with the fact that you have to remove bumper to get to the washer fluid tank. Do you plan to do it every day?
My point was if someone had this repaired, something that should be fairly simple, by the dealer (who we all agree are not 100% all knowing)...then taking off the front bumper just adds to the possible list of things that could go wrong...like front turn signals aren't working, or they dorked up the alignment of the bumper to the fender...etc..

maloosheck said:
Anyway, I have replaced the whole line when I was installing headlight washers wiring (along with the oem wiring for fogs and HIDs).
How happy you must be..

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
maloosheck said:
No sure what is wrong with the fact that you have to remove bumper to get to the washer fluid tank.
Once you remove the front bumper you'll never reasemble it like it was made in the factory. There will be (in best case) half a milimiter bias somewhere anyway. And once it comes time to sell the car, they buyer will think that the car had front end accident. Go and prove him the car wasn't in accident and you've replaced hose/tank...

I think the tank can be removed by only removing the lower left grill and disassembling the wheel fender (passenger side)

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Mine broke too. The dealer explained they had a "fix kit" so they assumed it was something that occurred fairly often. Of course the 20 below zero (F) temps probably haven't helped. I'm still waiting to hear that the kit has come in. Love that warranty!

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
How long does your car has the factory warranty? Here in Europe VW gives 2 years warranty without mileage restriction.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
hid3 said:
Once you remove the front bumper you'll never reasemble it like it was made in the factory. There will be (in best case) half a milimiter bias somewhere anyway. And once it comes time to sell the car, they buyer will think that the car had front end accident. Go and prove him the car wasn't in accident and you've replaced hose/tank...

I think the tank can be removed by only removing the lower left grill and disassembling the wheel fender (passenger side)
So don't remove the bumper.:rolleyes: The entire hose doesn't need to be replaced. Just a short section spliced in by the hood hinge. If you want/need to replace the whole line then you need to remove the bumper cover. Your choice, do what you want.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
hid3 said:

:D My bumper was removed several times and it still looks like installed in the factory. I do not know how you want to notice .5 mm bias, since it can be dirt between bumper and chassis making that difference. Not sure if this is attributable to German Engineering, but the fitting of parts in my VW is not random. I can reinstall things back to their factory position.

Besides, there are many other indications if car was involved in any accident or not.

26point2 said:
My point was if someone had this repaired, something that should be fairly simple, by the dealer (who we all agree are not 100% all knowing)...then taking off the front bumper just adds to the possible list of things that could go wrong...like front turn signals aren't working, or they dorked up the alignment of the bumper to the fender...etc..
I still do not understand. So you are saying this washer pipe was designed to be frequently replaced? Why it should be fairly simple to replace this pipe?

Taking the bumper in mk5 Jetta could not been easier. Few bolts out and it slides out from the rails on the fenders. Same with putting it back. There are no front turn signals attached to the bumper, only fogs and side-markers. Nothing that is attached to the bumper is attached to the chassis, so there is no way any alignment of the bumper to the fender can be dorked up.

Windjammer said:
So don't remove the bumper.:rolleyes: The entire hose doesn't need to be replaced. Just a short section spliced in by the hood hinge.
And that's the solution to the problem :D.