Transaxle bearing issue ???

joyrde

TDI
2006 Jetta - 5-speed
[FONT=&quot]I am a retired ASE Master Tech who taught high school Auto Tech. I am somewhat stumped. We have a 2006 Jetta TDI, we purchased new. The odometer mileage is at 197K. The first 150k miles came via the freeway to the tune of 110 miles per day. Other than normal maintenance, tires brakes, oil changes, etc, we have had very little other issues.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At 100K I replaced the Timing Belt. Two or so years ago I replaced the front struts, rear springs, both axle shafts and the right-front wheel bearing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The current tires, Goodyear Eagle, 205/55-16 which are at minimum thread depth and make some noise above 50 mph. They are going to be replaced in the next few weeks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had a whine and growling from the left front. After some testing, I decided the wheel bearing was bad. I replaced the wheel bearing, using new bearing and axle bolts, tightening each following the instructions and torque procedures as outlined in the 2006 Bentley Manual.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The whine disappeared. The growl did not. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A soft growl remains on deceleration beginning about 40 mph, then disappears at about 30 mph. A hard growl/vibration begins around 22 mph is gone at 18 mph.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When accelerating from a stop, I usually upshift the first three gears around 2200 rpms. Then as quickly as possible shift into fourth and fifth. Decelerating to a stop I downshift each gear at the last possible moment, usually coasting to a stop.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For testing purposes whether I decelerated my normal or let the engine slow the car, the whine/growl was the same, at the same speeds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The only difference on deceleration is when the trans is cold. When cold, first few miles, the whine/growl is noticeably less.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My first thought, given all the above, is the ring gear (unlikely) or the left-side transaxle bearing where the axleshaft engages the transaxle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What are your thoughts?[/FONT]

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
How's the trans fluid? Level, condition, grade?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
check diff. output seals if one of them is leaking wiggle the out put flanges. my left bearing was failed so bad the ring gear was wearing into the pinion race bore. it made noise similar to what your describing.