Oil Filter every 10,000 miles is overkill?

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Seems like overkill. On my Honda I change the oil at 10,000 and filter at 20,000 (so basically every other draining). Perhaps Mann filters aren’t designed for 20,000 like the Mobil Extended filter in my Honda.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
You MAY be onto something. European oil change intervals can be anywhere from 15,000 - 24,000 miles. And I'm fairly certain they would use the same filter we use or at least the same specifications from Vw as to filter construction.

But for $7.50, is it really worth it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can do whatever you want, but these cars are inexpensive enough to maintain it seems reasonable to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If I were to extend them I might (a) change oil and filter at 15K, or (b) change the filter every 10K and oil every 20K. When you try either of these you could first get a baseline oil analysis at 10K, and then another at 15K and 20K. I think I did this once years ago on my car and running the oil 20K miles didn't seem harmful. However, the analysis doesn't cost much less than the change, so why not change the oil and filter?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've done it on a few vehicles when I didn't have the right filter on hand. They survived. But then you have that feeling that you half a**ed the job until the next change.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Disagree with the “inexpensive” part. My Honda doesn’t have a fuel filter replacement every 20,000. Or $1300 timing belt replacement. Tires are only $70 each and oil just 3 quarts

Anyway MANN FILTERS are well-liked at Bobistheoilguy where they run long intervals. One guy said the filter reads (in German): “Extended time filter. 30,000 kilometers/ 2 years.” That translates to almost 19,000 miles.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Take this for what you paid for it: I run 20-25k oil change intervals and change the factory filter each time. I have a bypass system on it and change the Amsoil 2 micron filter out every 40-60K.

UOAs are always great and normal PD cam wear after 185K miles...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Since a lot of folks run extended interval oil changes ("here" and in Europe/elsewhere) and don't have to change filters half way thru, the filter is certainly up to 20k worth of duty. I've done the change the oil every 10k miles/filter every 20k for a good share of the life of most of my TDIs. The engine isn't grinding itself to bits and clogging up the filter. Having drained and inspected most of them (filters) I've yet to find any signs of one containing anything to even remotely "clog" one or keep it from doing its service.
It's not really a cost thing as they aren't that expensive. Never got into the extended oil changes as even when I drove the TDIs regularily I didn't rack up mega miles between the two of them. None of the four have exceeded 300k miles to date although the '03 engine is on its second chassis, the current carcass was a 1.8T car. M1 TDT 5w-40/ Rotella T6/DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40
Flame away if you feel the need.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
How about $5 , I drive a lot also and have two other vehicles that take the same filter. So I buy this 10 pack every couple of years.
https://www.idparts.com/oil-filter-10-pack-a4b55-p-467.html
Mann Oil Filters or VW stealer wich probably is a Mann filter anyways. are what i will Only use on my 2012 TDI. there rated 99% effiecency at 40 microns in other words its a Great filter. no buts or ifs about it. if anyone decides to use the cheaper ones there rated lower on effiecency and microns you get what You Pay For.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I thought with hondas you just changed the filter since they burn through enough to be constantly cycling it.
i died inside laughing about how true this is. every 6 gallons of gas my honda nighthawk uses i have to put in about 1/4 quart. 85 honda accord, about 2 quarts every 1000 miles.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
My 95 Audi S6 Avant factory owners manual recommended oil change intervals at 7500 miles, and filter changes at 15000 miles. I splurge and change the oil filter every oil change. Has done 290k miles to date with no problems. oil changed at 3-5K intervals

Oil and filters are relatively cheap compared to major engine repairs. I see no economic reason to exceed manufactures recommendations. Sure, you can probably get away with it, but why?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Plus, if you change it every time, you never have to remember if the last change included a filter change or not.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Plus, if you change it every time, you never have to remember if the last change included a filter change or not.

Yes.

Ive had numerous vehicles with over 200k miles on them. I see it this way, oil maintenance costs less than a new engine no matter how you slice it. Reminds me of the old commercial with the mechanic stating "you can pay me now or pay me later."

Also +1 on Blackstone Oil Analysis. Lets you know of minor issue inside your engine before they become MAJOR issue. Metal per mile is a factor when keeping vehicles for longer periods.

@Owain
ROFL. Although I've had a civic with the exact oil burn you reference. Valve guides, seals, etc..... suck the oil on decel.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I usually do the once a year change on my cars which is anywhere from 12 to 25,000 miles. I use Delvac and Mobil One 0-40. How about a car that only does 7k miles in a year and most of the mileage is in the city doing short hop trips? Is that considered severe duty and should I change that?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
i died inside laughing about how true this is. every 6 gallons of gas my honda nighthawk uses i have to put in about 1/4 quart. 85 honda accord, about 2 quarts every 1000 miles.

I don't ever have to add oil to my 1998 Honda Valkyrie. But then, it IS the GL1500 Gold Wing motor at heart. I've never had to add oil to ANY of my Honda motorcycles.

Honda cars - well, when they got up to 200,000 miles, they started using a little bit.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I don't ever have to add oil to my 1998 Honda Valkyrie. But then, it IS the GL1500 Gold Wing motor at heart. I've never had to add oil to ANY of my Honda motorcycles.

Honda cars - well, when they got up to 200,000 miles, they started using a little bit.
The accord was a 300 car I put 100k on and only did about $100 in maintenance like a few oil changes, brake pads, and a cv axle. That it. Crashed it, sold it for 400.
So ........
But the nighthawk is down for the count right now. 60ish psi on all 4
https://youtu.be/8XcNhPrVp78

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
rock auto has filters (bosch) for $3.50 a pop.
The Bosch premium filter on Rockauto.com is actually the best filter for the 1.9 TDI. “Best” meaning highest filtration efficiency vs. OEM. However Bosch premium filters are made in China which may be a deal killer for some folks. Most Mann filters are made in CZ anyway so not a German product.

I prefer Mahle as they are still made in Austria or the Bosch premium line.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I buy the 10 pack of filters from IDParts and go 10k miles between changes of oil & filter. Easy to track on the odometer at that interval. Topside with extractor takes 1/2 hour tops including clean-up. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. 205k miles and going strong.

About 40 years ago a wise old mechanic told me "grease is cheap" So true.