Planning road trip from Ottawa to Kissimmee Fl.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Just wondering is anybody is from the area? I'm planning a road trip with the family this summer and I'm wondering what is there to do besides Disney!!

Been to Disney before so I'm in no rush to go back. Thought maybe Universal? I was also thinking if anyone knows about any nascar races going on from August 13-21. either sprint or pick-up. sorry don't know much about all the different classes.

also thinking about an everglades adventure in an airboat.

Kenedy Space Centre maybe?

Any info would help.

Can't wait to stretch the legs on the passat!!

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
I'm planning to go up to Ottawa by March 18th! But well, since you are going the other direction...

I spent last Christmas in Florida. Universal is worth a visit, their Harry Potter theme is amazing. Also don't miss the Sea World, they have even better roller coasters in my opinion. ;-)

Try not to camp in everglades, bugs might eat you alive!

On one more thing, once you get to FL, buy that mini SunPass sticker (Walgreen, Walmart) and attach it on your dash. You won't use it in Orlando but will need it between Orlando and Miami.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm ok I'll look into that SunPass thing.

What are you planning on doing in Ottawa?

Let me know if you need more info.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
On one more thing, once you get to FL, buy that mini SunPass sticker (Walgreen, Walmart) and attach it on your dash. You won't use it in Orlando but will need it between Orlando and Miami.
Ah, the sticker requires permanent installation to GLASS according to the SunPass info. https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E.pdf

Apparently the glass is the antenna.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
What are you planning on doing in Ottawa?

Let me know if you need more info.
I actually haven't planned on doing anything yet but will visit Ottawa and Toronto. Well, it'll be Spring break so I just wanted to make use of it. Just bought Lonely Planet on Canada, hope that gives me more info.

One thing I'd like your advice after search the internet is, I can't find a "road atlas" map book specifically for Canada. I have a Rand McNally Road Atlas for the US. Internet shows me that AAA has another one for both the US and Canada. But I only needed one just for Canada. If you happen to know one do let me know thanks!

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
Thanks for the links. Yeah some of them look old. I also asked a bunch of my Canadian friends but no one nowadays seems to use a map anymore. ;-) Anyways, I can always use the GPS on my phone.

Checking on KOA, most of the campsites won't open until May. Do you suggest I bring a tent if I go visit some of the national parks? I guess it's still very cold out there so camping won't be a good idea.

Xuchen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5pd
hahaha Spring break in Ottawa you better bring your skates the canal will still be froze over
Oh well, I didn't know about the canal until I saw a postcard showing people skating on the 7.8km long ice rink. So excited that I just brought my skates in my trunk! Then later I found out the canal was closed on Feb. 28.....:mad: Will check out some indoor skating rinks today.

Gosh the entrance fees are cheap! In Baltimore it's $4, here it's only $2.5 :D

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, we are back from our road trip to Kissimmee Fl. 5580kms, 200kms short of 6 tanks of fuel!! about $375.

Not bad for 5 people, loaded to the t!ts, with the 17cf. thule box, probably drove more then 15 hours at over 130k/h some spots, 140-145-150-155 even 160 (95mph indicated on GPS) for a short burst and still averaged 6.2L/100k

did Ottawa to Fayetteville NC to Kissimmee FL. then to Tampa, back to Kissimmee then back up to Fayetteville NC to New York and finally back to Ottawa.

the only really disappointing thing was the Florida drivers! They pick a lane and stay there until it's time to get off the highway, constantly had to drive around them in all lanes. They don't move over period!!

also once in FL. we saw about 2-3 accidents a day, CRAZY!!!, maybe it's because everybody is on there phone talking/texting, even saw a car on it's roof at an intersection.

As we came up through the states, I could tell there was a Fl. driver ahead as they were alone in the left lane putting along.

All in all a good vacation, lots of fun at the disney water parks as it was stupid hot all week!!