Block/inline heater for V6 TDI 2010 Touareg

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
I have a new 2010 TDI V6 Touareg and I need a block heater or in line heater.Need to know where to look of find one as VW does not have them or even on the horizon.Live in Ontario Canada but willing to import if neccesary.

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
Block heater for TDI Touareg V6

Thanks for the info but nobody has a block heater for a 2010 Touareg TDI YET.They are apparently trying to work around the lack of space under the hood.So will keep looking and just rely on seat warmers for now.:mad:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Ok, my first diesel, is the heater to help with start up of the motor or to just get heat to the occupants faster? If it is for the latter I am not worried about it then myself since I have the heated wheel and the heated seats. :)

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
It actually helps both. It makes it easier for the engine to start in very cold temps., and because it warms up faster, the heater is effective faster. But as you said, with a heated wheel and heated seats that's not as important. The V10 TDI Touaregs have an aux diesel powered heater. In some countries you could run it remotely before starting the main engine to warm up the vehicle. In the USA it wasn't wired that way but was an interesting feature.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I am thinking it is not a necessary thing then with my V6 since being smaller should heat up quicker. It does not get that cold here in UT anyhow at least here in SLC.

railflyer

TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
My Audi Q7 TDI has supplemental heat that is electric and gives off interior heat immediately until the engine heat catches up. Do the T-reg TDI's have this too?

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
railflyer said:
My Audi Q7 TDI has supplemental heat that is electric and gives off interior heat immediately until the engine heat catches up. Do the T-reg TDI's have this too?
How is it labeled in your manual or car so as we may check to see if we have it or not? I don't think mine takes long to get heat in the vehical. So I don't know if the electric heater is doing it's thing or it is just quick to heat up.

railflyer

TDI
In my manual they call it "additional heater". Manual says

"Vehicles with diesel engines are equipped with and additional electric heater to warm the interior of the vehicle more quickly. The additional heater switches itself on and off automatically when the outside air temperature is below 50 deg. F (10 deg C) and engine is running, depending on the coolant temperature, interior temperature and the selected temperature."

I also have "residual heat" which after shutting off the vehicle I push the ECON mode button and an electric water pump keeps circulating the coolant through the heater core and keeps a blower on to keep the interior warm for up to 30 minutes after leaving vehicle. If it is super cold out and your running in a store or getting something to eat it will keep the interior warm for you. It doesn't get that cold here in Texas so I dont think I'll ever need it.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Yours is called residual and on the Treg it is called REST. It has been on everyone of them since they came to the states. REST is a nice feature when you have to run into the store real quick since it keeps your car warm till you get back out.

I have to look at my manual to see if it says anything about the electric heat thing. I have not looked at it that closely. Could be why it feels as though it does not take long to heat the interior up.

railflyer

TDI
I would bet it has it. Because my VW Jetta TDI takes a long time in the same cold weather to get heat.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I am convinced at this point that it does have the electric heater since I have heated air way faster in the TDI then I did in my gas V6 Treg. I would be halfway to work before I got heat in the gasser and I may be 3 miles or so from my house and have warm air coming out of the vents. It makes no mention of it in the manual, but that does not surprise since the manual does not seem to have changed much since my 04 manual. :)

railflyer

TDI
Yeti, I believe your assumption is correct. Out of curiosity, what is the coldest you've been out in and started the Q? Did it fire right up no problems?

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
railflyer said:
Yeti, I believe your assumption is correct. Out of curiosity, what is the coldest you've been out in and started the Q? Did it fire right up no problems?
I don't have a Q and it has been in the low single digits here a few nights. It starts up with no issues what so ever.

railflyer

TDI
Sorry, just meant your vehicle with the same engine. These newer diesels do much better than the old mechanical injection in the cold.

dcharnet

TDI
This week in the Midwest the temps have been in the 0-5 range and the winds gusting to 30-40. No problems starting. I do have to watch tire pressures.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg