Rear turn signal not working

treeeman00

TDI
Dead 2004 VW GLS TDI 5 spd 157,000 miles
Ive searched and searched for answers but have come up short. My right rear turn signal is not working. Everything works on both sides except for the rear turn signal. Ive swapped the left side board to the right but still doesnt work. Ive replaced the turn signal assembly on the column with a known working one and replaced the flasher relay. Relay is working and lights up. Front turn signals work. Ive pulled back the trunk carpet and checked the wiring and cleaned the grounds back there. I am getting voltage but only 3 volts to the circuit board for the turn signal. Was getting 7 at one time and still wasnt working. When i first started out the dash indicator for the right was very dim. Now its bright. All the bulbs are good. Even with the good bulbs, the turn signal indicator on the dash is flashing fast like I have a bulb burnt out. Any help is greatky appreciated. Need to know where to check from here. And the jetta is a 02. Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The front, rear, and side directional do join at a common point.
Not sure exactly where that is.

If the front and right are bright it should be the wire going to the back right.
It should be a black / green wire.
You would have to follow and open the harness at a few points along the travel and test for power.

It might be easier to run a new wire from the back to the front in the area near the flasher switch.

treeeman00

TDI
Dead 2004 VW GLS TDI 5 spd 157,000 miles
Thanks for the info. I wasnt exactly sure which wire was the turn signal. I followed it from the trunk areas and it looks like it goes up and under the headliner

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks for the info. I wasnt exactly sure which wire was the turn signal. I followed it from the trunk areas and it looks like it goes up and under the headliner
It may be easier to run a new wire going under the carpet and tap in near the plug the the directional switch.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
check socket that holds bulb.
I'll second this.

I have issues with those bulb holders constantly. Even if you bend the "tang" at the base so it can make better contact (ie pull it towards you) those bulbs move around so much in their holders due to the clearances that they can often lose contact with the tang I've found.

What I did as a band-aid was put a layer or 2 of electrical tape around the base of the bulb circumferentially so it fits snug in the holder and cannot "rock" side to side in the base.

This usually works for a long time then once in a while it will randomly not work and I have to go with the tape method again with some fresh.

It's a poor design IMO.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.....................snip...........................
What I did as a band-aid was put a layer or 2 of electrical tape around the base of the bulb circumferentially so it fits snug in the holder and cannot "rock" side to side in the base......................snip............................
Top Tip!