'15 vs '16 Audi TDI Differences

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Not sure if I will get a response on this but I do appreciate the honesty of this forum so here goes. Any opinion from A6 to Q3, Q5, Q7 owners works as there are similiarities. You car guys get it, so I think you can help.

Just got news today we are expecting our first new addition to the family in 9 months. Very excited!:D

I've already saved up for a '16 A6 TDI Prestige to purchase just after the winter ends. Aka, proper down payment to put car in the monthly pay category I envisioned. I want to be responsible with this and know a german car can have more expenses tied to it at a moments notice. In no way though do I want financials to be a burden just because I spent an extra $7k on the 2016 vs a 2015. They say you should have $10k to $12k saved for a newborns first year to not have it affect regular bills. I think I'd be doing right by the family just dropping down a year. My wife and I have very stable jobs, this would just be keeping extra padding in case something were to arise.......so

Will I regret purchasing a 2015 A6 Prestige vs 2016 A6 Prestige? How much am I giving up...
-Upgraded MMI system 3g vs 4g, this is same in A6 and the Q's
----really intrigued by the incorporation of google maps and traffic in the car
-Exhaust system styling is upgraded
-Slight styling changes to body work
also - I really wanted the Malone Tune and RS6 grill upgrade

Thanks for help!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Congrats on your new addition!

If I could afford the 16 I’d be sorely tempted due to the advanced technology. Driving with the older MMI is not a huge deal, however. Is it worth several grand? Only you can say.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats on your new addition!

If I could afford the 16 I’d be sorely tempted due to the advanced technology. Driving with the older MMI is not a huge deal, however. Is it worth several grand? Only you can say.
Thank you! Yep, its such a fine line, the little things do matter. I can't say for myself yet lol, thus me looking to all the wise souls of TDIClub.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
How long are you planning on owning the car?
Longer means more time that you’ll have to appreciate/benefit from the tech enhancements.
What is the mileage difference between the 15 and 16?
Paying more for a lower mileage car that is a year newer may have some value, or it may not.

How are both cars priced relative to book value and what others are selling for?
If the 16 has brand new tires and the 15 only has 10-15k left, well depending on how one buys their tires that could be 1k all by itself.
Maintenance history and cleaning car fax, how do the cars compare? Carfax isn’t the be all and end all but it is a tool to use.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
How long are you planning on owning the car?
Longer means more time that you’ll have to appreciate/benefit from the tech enhancements.
What is the mileage difference between the 15 and 16?
Paying more for a lower mileage car that is a year newer may have some value, or it may not.

How are both cars priced relative to book value and what others are selling for?
If the 16 has brand new tires and the 15 only has 10-15k left, well depending on how one buys their tires that could be 1k all by itself.
Maintenance history and cleaning car fax, how do the cars compare? Carfax isn’t the be all and end all but it is a tool to use.
Yep definitely need to look at the tires closely. Was not thinking about that. Granted I have access to cheap maintenance and tire purchases.

It's really coming down to the MMI system as the only real difference. As long as Bluetooth connects my music will play and I'll be happy. Mileage is unimportant as were finding them low to high on both years. I say that meaning clean Carfax and Maintenance history are most important. Buying a higher mileage diesel with proper service record and one or two owners won't scare me away if the price is right.

We're finding far more options of the '15 in Daytona Grey Metallic also making it easier to drop down a year. In 3 months we've only been able to find one '16 in that color and it was being shopped brand new, with 253 miles on it. If I stayed in a '16 I'd probably have to get Black.

More digging to be done.....

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

Got a little lucky today, my buddy with the dealership saw a '16 A6 Prestige in Silver up for online auction from VW. Just the one I dreamed of and we were able to get it under budget. 1 owner, all audi service records, only 34k in miles, and audi just replaced all the brakes. Got my cake and gonna eat it too!

Onto the real dilemma to delete or not delete I still can't decide?

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Update:

Got a little lucky today, my buddy with the dealership saw a '16 A6 Prestige in Silver up for online auction from VW. Just the one I dreamed of and we were able to get it under budget. 1 owner, all audi service records, only 34k in miles, and audi just replaced all the brakes. Got my cake and gonna eat it too!

Onto the real dilemma to delete or not delete I still can't decide?
Nice job.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Congrats!
I would hold off on Deleting anything while it is still under warranty or until you have issues.
Get a tune (Unitronic, Malone, Kerma) if you want more power and upgrade to delete further down the road.

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats!
I would hold off on Deleting anything while it is still under warranty or until you have issues.
Get a tune (Unitronic, Malone, Kerma) if you want more power and upgrade to delete further down the road.
Exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think a delete is warranted until those components become an issue.

I have a Malone shop right in town? Would there be any reason to look into Kerma/Unitronic I think APR? And Chipwerk are other options. But I always see high regards to Malone.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think a delete is warranted until those components become an issue.
I have a Malone shop right in town? Would there be any reason to look into Kerma/Unitronic I think APR? And Chipwerk are other options. But I always see high regards to Malone.
The transmission in the A6 TDI is an 8 speed, which is not the same as a DSG transmission if I'm reading correctly.

Does a Malone/Unitronic/Apr tune do anything to ensure the transmission is handling everything correctly since you won't be pairing it with a DSG tune?

Haven't heard back from Malone on this question yet.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not aware of a TCU retune to factory settings for the ZF 8 speed post fix, but I am aware that vendors are working on it.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not aware of a TCU retune to factory settings for the ZF 8 speed post fix, but I am aware that vendors are working on it.
How has your '15 Q5 with the Chipwerke tune been? No transmission issues.

Thinking its all good and I'm just trying to find an issue in something that isn't there.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
How has your '15 Q5 with the Chipwerke tune been? No transmission issues.

Thinking its all good and I'm just trying to find an issue in something that isn't there.

I love the Chipwerke. I get a modest efficiency improvement and a definite butt dyno improvement as well. Just unhook it and you’re dealer ready. Hook it back and you’re in business again. It can’t be compared to a tune, obviously.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the Chipwerke. I get a modest efficiency improvement and a definite butt dyno improvement as well. Just unhook it and you’re dealer ready. Hook it back and you’re in business again. It can’t be compared to a tune, obviously.
Now I need to do more research..... you're telling me Chipwerke is as simple as plug it in for the tune, unplug for no tune? No need to get into a shop.

I've debated to get a Flashzilla which would technically work in the same manner.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I need to do more research..... you're telling me Chipwerke is as simple as plug it in for the tune, unplug for no tune? No need to get into a shop.

I've debated to get a Flashzilla which would technically work in the same manner.

Yes, just connect or disconnect. Since it doesn’t rewrite (flash) the ECU it doesn’t show up on the VW/Audi computer system. No chance of the warranty being disqualified. Flashzilla, theoretically, can be detected by the computer if they check, based on the number of ECU flashes done.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, just connect or disconnect. Since it doesn’t rewrite (flash) the ECU it doesn’t show up on the VW/Audi computer system. No chance of the warranty being disqualified. Flashzilla, theoretically, can be detected by the computer if they check, based on the number of ECU flashes done.
Been reading up all morning. Followed your logs and also many other Chipwerke owners posts. Among the Unitronic, Kerma, and APR threads I read bedore this.

I still believe Malone is what's best for me and what I'm looking for as a whole package. Given the shop is ten minutes from my house, having professionals available if a problem were to arise seems like the best investment overall.

Most importantly, for me, smoothness across the powerband is something I truly want. Everything I read on Malones tune is how the car stays levelheaded and controlled. Where some tunes can be jittery or a bit to much "in your face"

Maybe that's why Malone tunes seem to have owners saying they don't feel the power of the tune as much as whatever other tune they are comparing it too? It's not as ferocious because it's just a bit more precise.

I hope that rings true, and my car agrees with it after completion.

As far as the extended warranty, the car is currently on it's way from the West coast. Once it arrives it's going to Audi for a check-up to make sure it's all on the up and up, but it was a one owner lease with all service records included in the Carfax from Audi. It has had the fix, if nothing shows up now, I have confidence the car will continue on reliably and even more so with the Tune.

6 long months of waiting to get this car is almost over...:D

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone has a lot of satisfied customers. I’ll take a good look at getting one when my extended warranty is expired, assuming I still have the vehicle, which is indeed the plan.

Audibot

TDI
2016 A6 TDI Prestige
I've seen some TCU tunes on Audizine for the ZF 8HP transmission, in the C7 forum. HPTuners seems to be doing them.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen some TCU tunes on Audizine for the ZF 8HP transmission, in the C7 forum. HPTuners seems to be doing them.
I had my '16 A6 TCU tuned by APM Tuned in Addison, Illinois about a month ago. Have to bring the car to them to do it though, cannot be done remotely.

The car stays in the powerband when in Dynamic-Sport mode. At any speed when the gas is stepped on there is no lag. Shifts feel smoother and less jarring. Going from gear to gear there is no backwards shift response. It feels as if you are always being pulled forward.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Been reading up all morning. Followed your logs and also many other Chipwerke owners posts. Among the Unitronic, Kerma, and APR threads I read bedore this.
I still believe Malone is what's best for me and what I'm looking for as a whole package. Given the shop is ten minutes from my house, having professionals available if a problem were to arise seems like the best investment overall.
Most importantly, for me, smoothness across the powerband is something I truly want. Everything I read on Malones tune is how the car stays levelheaded and controlled. Where some tunes can be jittery or a bit to much "in your face"
Maybe that's why Malone tunes seem to have owners saying they don't feel the power of the tune as much as whatever other tune they are comparing it too? It's not as ferocious because it's just a bit more precise.
I hope that rings true, and my car agrees with it after completion.
As far as the extended warranty, the car is currently on it's way from the West coast. Once it arrives it's going to Audi for a check-up to make sure it's all on the up and up, but it was a one owner lease with all service records included in the Carfax from Audi. It has had the fix, if nothing shows up now, I have confidence the car will continue on reliably and even more so with the Tune.
6 long months of waiting to get this car is almost over...:D

In regards to the warranty my Q5 was one owner all service performed only by Audi dealers.
In the first 20k of me owning it had leaking valve cover gasket initially they denied it but with some persuasion they covered that $1500+ repair.
Now as I'm typing this, at 35k mi into my ownership it is at the dealer getting a new HPFP multi thousand dollar repair also covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty.
My HPFP failure was in the form of a leak I noticed while on a trip over 900 miles from home.
I guess the point I'm getting at is just because the car seems to be well taken care of doesn't mean there won't be expensive repairs.
It's a free warranty that last quite a while and covers the entire engine, valvetrain, fuel system, and emissions system.
I personally don't see the point of deleting until I start having problems that are no longer covered by warranty on this car.
Now my 2.0tdi after the emissions fix the drivability was completely destroyed and I hate that fix. However with the Q5 I noticed no difference and only lost 2mpg. I still average 33-34mpg and I have an amazing warranty that has already saved me about $6k in repairs.
Also from my experience the warranty includes roadside assistance.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
In regards to the warranty my Q5 was one owner all service performed only by Audi dealers.
In the first 20k of me owning it had leaking valve cover gasket initially they denied it but with some persuasion they covered that $1500+ repair.
Now as I'm typing this, at 35k mi into my ownership it is at the dealer getting a new HPFP multi thousand dollar repair also covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty.
My HPFP failure was in the form of a leak I noticed while on a trip over 900 miles from home.
I guess the point I'm getting at is just because the car seems to be well taken care of doesn't mean there won't be expensive repairs.
It's a free warranty that last quite a while and covers the entire engine, valvetrain, fuel system, and emissions system.
I personally don't see the point of deleting until I start having problems that are no longer covered by warranty on this car.
Now my 2.0tdi after the emissions fix the drivability was completely destroyed and I hate that fix. However with the Q5 I noticed no difference and only lost 2mpg. I still average 33-34mpg and I have an amazing warranty that has already saved me about $6k in repairs.
Also from my experience the warranty includes roadside assistance.
I should update. After receiving the car I loved it. Then I couldn't keep my hands off tinkering once it was tuned. This was my dream car and I wanted it just right.

I ended up getting a delete after 1k miles put on it and saying goodbye to the warranty (my tune actually said goodbye to the delete, you can read up on my ownership log). My MPG's are better, under hard acceleration the growl the engine gives off is quite lovely to the ears, thankfully my cold warm up times are quick once the car is driving at a consistent pace for a minute or two (stop and go from work sucks till I can make it the 8 minutes to the main road). The smoke issue is minimal and only noticeable on a WOT at this point. Feel bad about the environment part of it.

If Audi were to offer me the new warranty with the new DPF and O2 sensor? I'd actually think about taking them up on it. The first try wasn't correct though, and it doesn't sound like this new attempt is perfect or smooth either.

Pardon my over generalization above lol.....

At the same time, not having to deal or worry about any of the BS is kinda nice. I've put 10k+ miles on the car. Highway drives getting over 700 miles of range on a tank. Currently the investment has made everything worth it, but I know if something goes wrong I'll be footing the bill.....albeit taking it to the shop I want and having it done within a few days with no runaround from a dealership.

Plenty of options for all the owners to choose from....