Headlight Issue

capthook

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wgn
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon that has a passenger side headlight that keeps burning out. I recently had the pigtail replaced because it was "burnt" and the replaced pigtail/light worked for about a month before failing. In the final case, the pigtail was again burnt out. I've had no problems with the drivers side headlight.

Thoughts? Advice?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
What brand/model bulb is being used on that side?

Sometimes people get stuck buying a single bulb, and the high-wattage ones can easily stress the pigtail, as it's just barely enough with a standard bulb.

capthook

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wgn
Thanks Vince....

I don't know off hand what kind of a bulb is in there but I suspect it was a Sylvania... Two questions:

1. How do i know if a particular bulb is within VW wattage specifications?

2. Is there anything i can do to boost the wattage capability so I can run brighter bulbs?

Many thanks

Mike

uld

What brand/model bulb is being used on that side?

Sometimes people get stuck buying a single bulb, and the high-wattage ones can easily stress the pigtail, as it's just barely enough with a standard bulb.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The bulb wattage is often marked somewhere on the black plastic base, or a brand name from the supplier.

In terms of the harness, various third parties make heavy-duty relay harnesses that power directly from the battery and big relays to switch the load. Generally plug-n-play...the old pigtail plugs into the new harness, and the new harness plugs into the bulb.

Bulky (due to the HD wiring and extra two relays) but I have one on each Jetta and run the 65w bulbs no problem.

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon that has a passenger side headlight that keeps burning out. I recently had the pigtail replaced because it was "burnt" and the replaced pigtail/light worked for about a month before failing. In the final case, the pigtail was again burnt out. I've had no problems with the drivers side headlight.
Thoughts? Advice?
If the roached bulb looks cloudy, and somewhat blue in color, you've got a water infiltration problem. I had this issue with my (deceased) '99 Beetle. A little bit of applied silicone to the problem area, fixed the issue.