Timing belt noise

TDC

TDI
2000 NB
Since changing my timimg belt last weekend I can hear a engine whine that wasn't there before. It is loudest at around 2000 rpm. Do the belts wear in when new? I have a couple hundred miles on the belt. I checked everything and it all looks good. No rub marks or unusual marks.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed the same thing. It's coming from trapped air in the belt cogs and the pulley cogs. It's also known as blower whine and can be eliminated by driling holes in the pulleys (something I do not recommend in this instance).

TDC

TDI
2000 NB
I was playing around with it today. It's a belt howl for sure. I was just curious why I didn't here it with the old belt. I feel better knowing someone else has it too. Unusual howling noises make me nervous.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I had a guy hearing this after I did his belt. Hey, I am deaf and I don't hear it. But the guy told me where it was coming from. He has sharp ears. He said it was the serpentine belt.

sulrich

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
This is a funny thread. I did my first TB a month ago and have heard it from the very first time I started it. I have no recollection of the noise pre-TB change. Never got a response here at Fred's when asking about it. I was thinking turbo, oil-supply to turbo pinched, belt(s), etc. Finally, nothing ever blew up so I reluctantly accepted that it was ok and started to drive it harder.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Check the timing belt's tension....possibly too tight, i.e., too much tension?

~ n1das

stefmontreal

TDI
Golf TDI 2000 Silver
i am experiencing the same thing after the timing belt change. the noise starts at 2400 rpm. now i have about 200 km on the new belt, after the rain yesterday, the noise reduced to an almost unaudible level. so i am making few very uneducated guess' : 1) the new belt (long life) needs certain time to wear in; 2) if humidity reduces the whine, it may imply a misaligned pulley; 3) or quite simply, it is too tight.

i will post a follow up once the weather dries up.

do you also experience a reduction in noise over time and humidity? have you actually managed to solve the problem? if so, how please? thanks.

deltafox

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 black
Maybe it's a VW thing. I have a 93 Eurovan, and it has an automatic serpentine belt tensioner that ratchets up a notch after the belt stretches over time. I can always tell when it tightens up because the engine whines noticeably for several thousand miles.

stefmontreal

TDI
Golf TDI 2000 Silver
thanks deltafox, it is very insightful. yet, it is the fact that it coincides with the timing belt change that is kind of unsettling.

the weather is drier today, and the noise came back /images/graemlins/frown.gif
although i am positively whining, i am not quite sure that the noise i hear is a whine. it is a funny noise, it sounds like cricket, or the air leak noise when i deflate the tire, is it what we call a blower whine? thanks.

stef

kregars

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000
Are you sure it's the TB that's creating the noise and not the pully just under the TB cover (think it's either AC or rectifier). I know that before my TB was replaced I heard that, and now that it's been replaced, as well as the serpentine belt was replaced the noise has gone away.

Just a thought...Course I have less than 100 miles on the new TB (will have over 1k on it by Saturday though).

stefmontreal

TDI
Golf TDI 2000 Silver
the thing is that this noise came out only after the timing belt change. however, this can just be a coincidence. i am starting to think that this can be a clogged snowscreen... hey, i will start with the easiest to fix /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stefmontreal

TDI
Golf TDI 2000 Silver
i fixed my problem today. the intercooler was not fitted properly after the timing belt change

i apologise for the confusion describing the noise it made i.e. cricket,whine, air leak... wouldn't it be nice if we made a sound library of the different mechanical noises?

anyway, thank you veterinarians for helping the diagnosis

moow, moo, muuh, mao, maowski.