injector swap

TDI
I bought new injectors with Bosio 1019 nozzles. I dont have a Vagcom but one is available 88 miles away via freeway, with some mountain driving.
Will I do damage to my car if I swap injectors first and then drive over to hook up a vagcom and to the manual injection timing and hammer mod with the vagcom?
The paperwork with the nozzles claims engine damage will result if I drive it before using vagcom to get everything right.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

I bought new injectors with Bosio 1019 nozzles. I dont have a Vagcom but one is available 88 miles away via freeway, with some mountain driving.
Will I do damage to my car if I swap injectors first and then drive over to hook up a vagcom and to the manual injection timing and hammer mod with the vagcom?
The paperwork with the nozzles claims engine damage will result if I drive it before using vagcom to get everything right.
You should be okay. Put the injectors in, take it for a test drive and report back here with how bad you're smoking.

I ran this way for a week before adjusting the IQ. The skinny pedal is what controls fuel when moving. Don't get down on it too often on the way over and you'll be fine.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just got VCDS. I'm 91 miles north and, slightly, east of Tacoma: nice drive out here in the country! I'd be happy to assist if only VCDS is required (won't do any hammer mod because I am not set up to handle any problems with leaks that might result from that). I'm looking at the DLC 1019s, so there's a bit of incentive for me as well :) PM me.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
All it does is alter the IQ a bit, mine actually ended up in the right spot after swapping them out. Personally wouldn't hesitate to drive it somewhere to tweak the settings. You'll enjoy the drive too :D

TDI
Update:
Swapped injectors this morning. No smoke at all, drives just fine. Seems a little peppier, especially on the freeway.
I must wait until tomorrow to hook up the vagcom. I will report back on what my settings were and if/how much they needed to be tweaked.
Thanks

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just got VCDS. I'm 91 miles north and, slightly, east of Tacoma: nice drive out here in the country! I'd be happy to assist if only VCDS is required (won't do any hammer mod because I am not set up to handle any problems with leaks that might result from that). I'm looking at the DLC 1019s, so there's a bit of incentive for me as well :) PM me.
Duh! For some reason I thought you were in Tacoma, WA! (must have been looking at another post when I replied). Oops!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Should be able to sit about 4-5 on the IQ, mine ended up at 4 and ran mint on stock mapping. Quality of fuel is probably a variable too though and I only get shell or BP.

TDI
Ok, got hooked up to vcds and my injection timing was around 18. Bumped it to just under the green line which was about 80. No hammer mod needed. My goal range was 5.0-6.2 and I was already at 5.2,
Car definitely has more snap to it and very little, if any, additional smoke.
Thanks for all the help and thanks for all who posted excellent how-to's on the forums.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You want to aim for about 70 over 120 on the graph, 80 might be ok but it sounds a bit to advanced.