2003 Jetta wagon tuning experience/thoughts

klettn

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 03 Jetta Wagon (with stuff added), 83 Mercedes 300SD, 06 Duramax
Sorry if this has been covered in depth else where, but wondering what others have experienced or knowledge of for comparison?

Currently have 2x 2003 Jetta wagons:
1st bone stock (well egr delete) otherwise stock (hers)
2nd vnt 17/22, omi, 2.5" exhaust, pp520's, RC5, .658 5th, others go fast goodies I'm sure I'm forgetting (his)

Anyway, I cannot stand driving the bone stock car and actually find it a bit unsafe for highway (passing) conditions and don't want to put her or the little ones in any danger. That being said, the car's clutch is nearing its useful life (at least seems that way) so am considering upgrading with nozzles and tune to be a part of the equation.

My main questions:

What are people's experience with performance of stage 1-3 tunes (keep in mind Jetta 2...not looking to match, but more drive able)?

Peoples experience with reliability at various stages (are cold starts an issue...last week was -25 in the driveway?)

Other than clutch, nozzles, and tune, what upgrade are believed to be necessary to get say + 40hp on stock vnt-15?

Will add more info as necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
With just nozzles and mapping I had mine at 165bhp using the stock turbo at 18.5psi and it never let me down once, coldest I started it was -15C. Not sure what the stages are you guys have though but sticking 40 or so hp on it wont harm anything at all.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Hi Nathan! (I still miss my wagon & it has PP502's ;) :) )

One of my first ALH's I did a Stage 3 Rocketchip Tune with just PP520's. What a damn difference it made, car really went great. Left everything else stock and the car was NIGHT and DAY to drive. Just make sure to put a southbend clutch, nothing crazy just like a daily driver one with stock feel.

Fuel economy was great as well. Without going crazy its a great level. If I remember correctly it made 130 - 135 hp @ the wheels.

klettn

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 03 Jetta Wagon (with stuff added), 83 Mercedes 300SD, 06 Duramax
Hey Jay!

Thanks for the correction, I knew I'd get a few details incorrect and maybe I was thinking about what I'd add to her car (PP520's). I also know I left out a few other goodies, but I think folks get the idea. Not to mention it was late and I was getting the little one to sleep while posting :)

Glad to hear the RC3 with PP520's made a noticable difference! Did you also put in a southbend with that? SMF?

130-135 would be much more enjoyable and safe, right? ;)

Looks like you are having a good time with modding the new car as well....how's the butt dyno feel?

Hope you are doing great!

klettn

TDI
Seatman-

Thanks for your input! I appreciate all and any info!

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I've got an 03 wagon w/pp520's and RC2 My wife was blown away after I installed it. I live in St Paul and its always started. I also installed a lift pump, Stage 2 SB SMFW, .6588 5th gear and skid plate (DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE SKID PLATE. Its saved my butt many times especially with all our great pot holes after winter). Good combo with good passing power. Enough power that when I put my foot into it my wife now says "Quit showing off!"

klettn

TDI
DI fan-

Thanks for the info. Was there a specific reason to go with RC2 vs 3? Do you think the lift pump was necessary or other specific reasons? How difficult was the .6588 5th install (I've replaced clutches on MK2 GTI's and old FJ40's as well as head removal and replacement on the FJ40 for relative mechanical ability)? Jay installed the taller 5th on Jetta 2 before I got it and I am definitely glad its in there with my 90 RT commute!

Yeah, a skid plate for her car is in the near future! Mine already has one. Also, glad to hear about the cold start not being an issue. It seems that out in the valley we are about 10 degrees cooler then in St. Paul. Guess if I'm in doing the clutch, etc. I might as well install a heater.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
DI fan-

Thanks for the info. Was there a specific reason to go with RC2 vs 3? Do you think the lift pump was necessary or other specific reasons? How difficult was the .6588 5th install (I've replaced clutches on MK2 GTI's and old FJ40's as well as head removal and replacement on the FJ40 for relative mechanical ability)? Jay installed the taller 5th on Jetta 2 before I got it and I am definitely glad its in there with my 90 RT commute!

Yeah, a skid plate for her car is in the near future! Mine already has one. Also, glad to hear about the cold start not being an issue. It seems that out in the valley we are about 10 degrees cooler then in St. Paul. Guess if I'm in doing the clutch, etc. I might as well install a heater.
As far as RC2 or 3 I got 2 because I was new to TDI tuning when I got it. Fuel economy is good with 2 but I bet 3 would be just as good you would just have to watch your right foot. Looking back... I should have gone with 3. Once my turbo goes I'll install a hybrid of some kind and probably go with 4. I don't think the lift pump was nessary but I did find that it started better in the winter after it was installed. I have family that live outside of Eau Claire and around Knapp and there have been some bitter cold morning in the winter where it statrted a little hard but it always started.

I was able to do the 5th gear in about 8 hours total including customizing my gear puller. Also, I wish I had done the 5th gear oiling mod to the gear box case while I was in there but I didn't know about it at the time. When it acts up I make sure to take some hard right turns and that seems to take care of it.

Last edited:

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Hey Jay!

Thanks for the correction, I knew I'd get a few details incorrect and maybe I was thinking about what I'd add to her car (PP520's). I also know I left out a few other goodies, but I think folks get the idea. Not to mention it was late and I was getting the little one to sleep while posting :)

Glad to hear the RC3 with PP520's made a noticable difference! Did you also put in a southbend with that? SMF?

130-135 would be much more enjoyable and safe, right? ;)

Looks like you are having a good time with modding the new car as well....how's the butt dyno feel?

Hope you are doing great!
It's all good, just being a stickler for details.

I honestly don't remember what clutch it was - I just remember the stock clutch only lasted 3 days after it was tuned. Then would just rev in 4th / 5th gear when I got on it.

New car goes real good. I will get some dyno time soon to see just how good it is!

Glad the car is still kicking! That was a great car.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Since you already drive a modded clone I'm surprised you are asking? Have you had any reliability issues? My wife drives the '03 Jetta, and LOVES the mods I've done to it. She commutes 100miles RT per day, no issues yet. I'm thinking lift pump next but it runs great as is.

klettn

TDI
Since you already drive a modded clone I'm surprised you are asking? Have you had any reliability issues? My wife drives the '03 Jetta, and LOVES the mods I've done to it. She commutes 100miles RT per day, no issues yet. I'm thinking lift pump next but it runs great as is.

Not sure what you mean by modded clone? I have a bone stock Jetta and a hybrid vnt, injectors, intake, exhaust, and RC5 Jetta. I have only driven these ste-up so am wondering what say a stage 3 tune and supporting mods would be like. As far as reliability for the modified Jetta, my only issue is the need to plug in during very cold weather, which is not always an option. For example, the unmodified Jetta will start (not plugged in) with little grunt in -25 to -30 F, the modified will grunt on start or spin started for a while before starting in -5 (not plugged in). I have not tested my limits on the modified Jetta to see where the NO START temp is without plugging it in.

klettn

TDI
As far as RC2 or 3 I got 2 because I was new to TDI tuning when I got it. Fuel economy is good with 2 but I bet 3 would be just as good you would just have to watch your right foot. Looking back... I should have gone with 3. Once my turbo goes I'll install a hybrid of some kind and probably go with 4. I don't think the lift pump was nessary but I did find that it started better in the winter after it was installed. I have family that live outside of Eau Claire and around Knapp and there have been some bitter cold morning in the winter where it statrted a little hard but it always started.

I was able to do the 5th gear in about 8 hours total including customizing my gear puller. Also, I wish I had done the 5th gear oiling mod to the gear box case while I was in there but I didn't know about it at the time. When it acts up I make sure to take some hard right turns and that seems to take care of it.
DI Fan,

Thanks for your insight with respect to 2 vs 3, relative experience with cold weather starts and the 5th gear install (can I use your custom gear puller:)). I'm sure if your family lives in a valley around the Knapp area they (and you) know how much different the temps are between the Cities and there. We live in a valley (litterally), and almost without fail it was 10-15 degrees cooler this winter. Had a -39 F one morning. Plugged in the modded Jetta fired right up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
With just nozzles and mapping I had mine at 165bhp using the stock turbo at 18.5psi and it never let me down once, coldest I started it was -15C. Not sure what the stages are you guys have though but sticking 40 or so hp on it wont harm anything at all.
You got a dyno that shows 165 HP? I'm highly skeptical of that claim.

If you get a new clutch and a tune only you'll get about 125/230. Nozzles will add about 10 HP/20 ft/lbs. You don't mention how many miles are on the car but it will stress the turbo more and may shorten its life. If I had to start over with a wagon I'd go with RC3 or equivalent and leave everything else alone. Great FE and driveability, and enough power so you don't feel you're a hazard.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I'm happy with my car with Sprint 520 nozzles and an RC2 tune. I'm on my original clutch with no slippage. When my clutch eventually wears out I'll probably replace with something a little beefier and may upgrade to RC3. But I have no complaints at all about the car as it sits now, which is why I stopped spending money on gofast after the RC2.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
You got a dyno that shows 165 HP? I'm highly skeptical of that claim.
Need to definte whp or bhp. 165hp at the motor should translate to roughly 140hp at the tires. Even then, I have no idea if it's feasible.

As he's on the other side of the pond, wouldn't Seatman have a different turbo? A 17va perhaps? (I don't know all the goodies they have stock verses the US market, just speculating.)

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
IndigoBlueWagon, you would do RC3 on a stock ALH with a stock clutch and nozzles?

Also, I see that Malone has a dynamic EGR option. Does anyone know how Jeff @ RC handles EGR? I don't want to eliminate it, but I like the dynamic EGR idea.

SFH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove RC3 with stock nozzles for about 20K. Worked fine. I think I may have gotten the clutch to slip once or twice on very cold days. But then I put in some PP520s. Party over.

Jeff can shut off the EGR duty cycle if you want, turn it down, or leave it alone. I never missed it.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
My first ALH that Chris Hill tuned for me was RC3 w/ PP520's. Chris told me be careful or I will smoke the clutch - 3 days later I was there getting a south bend after 3-5th would just rev when you got into it.

Nozzles + tune = time for a clutch!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Thanks guys. Just wondering if I can hang with a stock clutch and RC3 for a while, or whether I should stick with an RC2. I don't have plans to change either clutch or nozzles until its time. It sounds like it might be possible if I don't push it too hard (which, with a baby, I rarely get the chance to).