Gtb2260..... In 2.0tdi 170hp

Cephyr13

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT
Question: how's the lag on this turbo compared to stock? Does this one spoil up into the power curve just as quickly as the stock turbo?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I still do not understand how you could say that 2260VK spools up at 1600 rpms, so you are saying basically 2260vk spools way better than vnt15,,,,,, having and tried all 3 turbos, 2260vk, 2260vrk, and 2260vklr, I can attest that I like the 2260vklr better, 2260vk is too lethargic to spool compared to the other 2, one of the misleading comments here is that members only try 1 turbo and they can only comment on that, and of course they are going to say there is nothing better.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Unfortunately I tried all types of turbos and I do like the way ball bearing turbos pick up on a pull/transient, however from reliability point of view it’s hard to beat the good old gtb2260vk turbo !

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it is old so we are reviving this thread so we can bring members back, to answer your question I'm still waiting to read that 2260vrk or 2260vklr continue to break, ears are open, we probably have a few just like any other turbo, but 2260vk the spooling sucks on that turbo

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably you need to change your tuner if you think gtb2260vk spools bad ! I have nothing but praise for that turbo !

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Cmon what does a tuner have to do with intial spooling pls explain, no tuner can make that turbo spool any quicker, if you've posted this about 10 15 years ago you would've been flamed here at this forum,

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Because I have that turbo on a built pd engine and it’s a monster ! It’s in a very light mk2 golf…I don’t know what you expect from a turbo but my car is faster than almost anything I encountered on the road, spool is not the issue and I broke a few driveshafts so far ! I don’t want to turn this into a pissing context but I really think your tune was not up to scratch !
A few weeks ago I have flashed a 2007 seat Leon 1.9 tdi, the car has a rebuilt engine, all new top end and new sputter rod bearings. Turbo is a gtb1749vb. Car goes well !
I also fitted a stock gtb2260vk on a golf mk5 4motion, this is better everywhere on the map…it’s also heavier than the Ibiza ! Both cars have AL injectors off pd150. This is a case of bigger is better !

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Cmon what does a tuner have to do with intial spooling pls explain, no tuner can make that turbo spool any quicker, if you've posted this about 10 15 years ago you would've been flamed here at this forum,
Have to realize, many of there cars aren't as fast as USA ones. They use the imperial mile, which is shorter than the USA mile. And the imp gallon is slightly larger. So their numbers are different.

ben0069

TDI
allroad 2.5 tdi v6
Not really for the thread, just to clarify...
We also use the imperial mile (UK) not the metric mile (kilometers) which they use in Europe.
Thus, the US has two counterpart miles:
(1) the international mile of 1760 yd = 1609.344 m = 1 UK stature mi;
(2) the statute mile of 5280 survey ft = 1 survey mile = 1609.3472… m.
When unspecified (i.e., just “mile”), the international mile is generally regarded as the intended meaning, matching the UK mile. Thus, the 1 US mi = 1 UK mi.
However, that mile in the UK is referred to as the statute mile, which is not the same as a US statute mile (which is instead a survey mile). Therefore, it can get very confusing—fortunately, the international mile is exactly 0.999 998 survey mile, so the difference is negligible to most people.
:geek:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
2200 rpms that's about right on 2260vk, not 1600 rpm like I read

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would you need that much boost, this low ? You can get the full boost that early however you get into surge problems, only way to get rid is to upgrade compressor to 10-11 blades with larger trim and turbine with lighter AMG style…they make big difference ! But, you must have some serious fuel to burn that low and few Vag transmissions will hold this much torque low down !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You lost me.... he's talking about the casting of the compressor housing.... what internals (and of what) are you talking about?
I was on about the quality finish on the casting. It’s nice, smooth and without joint/cast lines. The garret ones are crude compared to those !

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
There are some statements here that are completely out of whack, I can't continue to follow it cause I may wind up in the Bermuda triangle more confused than ever

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I was on about the quality finish on the casting. It’s nice, smooth and without joint/cast lines. The garret ones are crude compared to those !
Better be nice for what I paid for the dammed thing. Cast exhaust manifold looked factory too.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Spit and polish .... I remember when mirror polished housings were all the rage.....
But if you peeps love paying for the outer appearance of your housing, I can't blame these guys for blinging them up.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Spit and polish .... I remember when mirror polished housings were all the rage.....
But if you peeps love paying for the outer appearance of your housing, I can't blame these guys for blinging them up.
I didn't much care the outer appearance wether it looked pristine or okay.cant see it anyway.and I have a blanket on the hot side. As long as the internals are high quality and tolerances are tight I don't care. I paid for power not for looks. I'm trying to create more of a sleeper, that is why my exhaust is quiet and the tips look factory

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, we all know Garrett is churning good quality blowers, we have been using them for ages ! I was impressed how good the Malone compressor housing is looking compared to the stock gtb2260vk housing. We all know that packaging sells everything and Malone shure did his homework! If the turbo looks nice and shiny then it goes fast already !
I bet it costed the owner a few bobs ad well howeverI find these money well spent. Lately I favor stock turbos as they are easy to fix when going wrong and virtually inexpensive compared to aftermarket!