Mean Green Biodiesel Machine build

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Guess I'll need to coordinate with Darius a build completion comming-out /GTG for this spring/summer. :)

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
Okay John says it needs to fire up in the next couple of days. Now it's time for a tune.i am using the ECU/ECM from my 2000 with a stage 2-3 tune. Is it safe to fire up the engine on that considering all the differences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx. I am also contacting some TDTuning tuners like VWmikel & Matt W.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
You should be able to drop a stage 5 into that ECU. Hopefully it is not an early 2000 as those units are hard to use a flash unit on, you have to pull them for a direct link. Tune for a monster engine!

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have VWmikel's email address and what his new TDIclub name is? I have his number but I don't want to annoy him that way. Also please pm it to me.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
You should be able to drop a stage 5 into that ECU. Hopefully it is not an early 2000 as those units are hard to use a flash unit on, you have to pull them for a direct link. Tune for a monster engine!
What did you go with? How big was your build? Will I get to see the finished product this summer?

I am good on the ECU. Thx for the heads up just in case though.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope to make the GTG for sure. I did not go as far as you did but I am happy with the set up. Now if I could just get the oil cooler to stay tight. Darn thing has come loose twice now but only enough to create a slow leak. Gonna have to use some thread lock I guess.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Anyone have VWmikel's email address and what his new TDIclub name is? I have his number but I don't want to annoy him that way. Also please pm it to me.

Sorry for the delay. It's just been a busy week or so, but I'm getting caught up. You should have a reply in your inbox though.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mike. I will have what you need Thursday night-Friday sometime.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Had an intermittent 109 relay that contributed to delays. Then an EGR delete pipe that leaks like crazy. Wouldn't even hold 4 psi let alone 35. The map sensor mount, while feels tight with the o-ring leaks. I had it welded to the pipe. However the size adapter for the smaller 4 bar size is the culprit. Moreover, this was an early version of a larger ID pipe. The press fitting of the pipe to the flange leaks a lot too. I should of had that welded too lol.

Seems like no matter how many precautions you take, and things you try to anticipate, there are so many things that can trip you up. One step forward, two steps back.

I really admire and appreciate John's patience and tenacity in this endeavor.

I am hoping to be able to start it on Saturday for the 1st time.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally cranked it up. 25 miles put on it to test and shore up leaks. Wooohoooo!

Quick question: does anyone have instructions for wiring up a NewSouthPerformance indigo pyrometer and boost gauge? They won't return my messages and emails. I only find write ups and instructions for a MK5 pod and boost gauge wiring for the MK5. I need for my my mk4.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay so it's been a week that I've had the car. I have to say that I'm very happy so far. It has been very difficult to not totally get on it all the way. I mean I really really really want to. I am approaching 1000 miles on the break in cycle at this point. I'm happy to report that I believe the rings have been seated. So far it hasn't burned one drop of oil as far as I can tell. Breaking it in on all the steep hills I think was beneficial.

So according to my butt dino, I think I'm going to be able to achieve my goal of around 225 hp. This thing is absolutely going to be able to tow a trailer. I can't believe the difference from a VNT 15 to this GTB 2260 VK. Combine that with the head work and the exhaust, it feels like it has huge lungs and that heavy breathing is effortless. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I live close to Highway 18. The end or the beginning of that route depending on how you look at it, has a very steep incline that's called Tiger Mountain. Before I was not able to maintain highway speed in sixth gear climbing the mountain. I would have to downshift the fifth and really be on the gas. Now I can be in sixth and barely touch the excelerator and it climbs it with ease. Get on the gas or the diesel in this case and it flies up the inclines.

Yesterday I got on it a little harder than I should have. Boost spiked at 30 PSI and it blew off an FMIC hose. So that is something I'm going to have to rectify.

I don't have any numbers to back this up but the turbo seems to be at full spool at about 2000 to 2200 rpm. I am very happy with that. On the highway it seems like I can pass somebody instantaneously now.

Something else that I cannot substantiate is my belief that the Aero muffler/resonator that I purchase is also helping with that spool. It is where the cat should be and then I have a high flow cat behind. The 3 inch exhaust in combination with that resonator muffler makes it very quiet. I am really only hearing engine. It's almost like driving the 60s or 70s V-8 with a distinct diesel note.

The injector nozzles seem to be doing their job. I ended up going with the stage 2 Bosio race 520s (7 hole). The car only smokes at start up and somewhat until the engine warms up. Then it doesn't seem to smoke hardly at all except for that puff of smoke you get when you hit the gas. If I stay on it it's just a light haze.

On another note I went with those crazy motor mounts that have the big black springs. I like them. I need to raise the idle to about 1050 to get rid of idle vibration. I also love the heavy duty clutch. Thanks Matt. It is very smooth and not as stiff as I thought it was going to be.

That's all for now. Except to say that I can't believe there are improvements to made. I am so happy right now.

Shout outs to Matt W as I am using parts sourced from him, not to mention all his advice. I am impressed with the kit from Ryan P of DarkSide Innovations. Frank06 head work and cam. My mechanic John D. What a ton of work he's done. Doing a complete TDI swap into a GTI. Still some kinks to work out. Mike Gibson who built the motor. I have to say that he was cool. No massive ego. He wasn't offended by my questions of double checking and emailing TDI club member suggestions. He also let me hang out from time to time. Of course a shout to VW Mikel. This is just a mild break in tune OMG.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow Darius, that sounds like a great set up! Watch out for those pesky deer now and resist the urge to floor it and really pump some diesel through it! Break in, break in...Look forward to seeing the set up hopefully sometime in the next couple of months.
Bru

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Looking forward to seeing this car run at the next PDX gtg if you'll come down.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
I would very much like to come down to PDX Justin.

Bruce, I am looking forward to it.

I just did a long, varied, data log with my mechanic today testing my engine. Then sent it to TDTUNING for analysis. I haven't plotted the data yet.

I have to say honestly, that I was terrified. What if I blew the engine? What if I snapped an axle or just broke something expensive? Because let me tell you I've dumped a lot of money into this and I really don't have much left. What didn't help was that when I started it up today, I couldn't get it shifted into gear. What I didn't find out till later, was that the new clutch still needed to be bled more and that there was a big air bubble in it.

So testing it, obviously, third, fourth and fifth gear I'm supposed to do a full WOT. Honestly I was only able to do it the last one or two times. The other times I was only able to get enough courage to go about 80 to 85% of full throttle. I'm laughing about it now but my hands were shaking and my heart was thumping a little.

We tested it in the Tacoma area and I also wanted to test out of a couple of the really steep hills in there. Now realize, I have a brand-new clutch. The clutch feels good and it's awesome. But I'm still not used to its release points, let alone on very steep hills with stoplights and cars behind me haha. Moreover, I hit those Tacoma hills when I still had adrenaline surging from the WOT testing. Long story short, I gassed it too much before letting out the clutch and peeled out every time and I was on steep hill stop light lol. My old set up required me to rev it almost that high. Nonetheless, it felt great and nothing broke!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I hear ya Darius, but you gotta think about it like this: You don't have a super low rpm torque monster anymore. This makes things much better on the engine and clutch. Plus, you have good mounts, strong 6 spd axles, and a large hairdryer with all the supporting mods. I think you'll be good. Just take run a couple back and forths with Mike and he'll get you running how you want in no time.
I don't launch my car hard practically ever for the same fears, but I absolutely go unhinged on the open freeway sometimes, go figure...

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Noticed this morning that there were a few inches of oil in the catch can tube today. There had only been about a half inch to inch during the 1st 1000 miles breaking in the motor without flooring it. It's just a half inch ID tube though. I figure that's normal, basically doing exactly what is designed to do. Provent 200 btw.

Here's a pic of the engine bay.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
1st:
So on another build thread, it was stated that the GTB2260VK pushes 35-37lbs/min. How much did my VNT15 do at 17PSI?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=451789

2nd:
I am curious about the best/worst/average MPG people get with builds close to mine. I am aware that several things contribute/take away from it. I am sure my aftermarket Euro front bumper, stage 2 R520 nozzles, Peloquin diff, heavy wheels, and bad front bearings are lowering my mph. Not to mention the WOT testing I just did. This is the 1st complete tank I have consumed as the only driver of the car. I am barely going to get 500 miles out of it. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I had a really bad alignment fixed (having put on new wheels and tires) part way through the tank i believe.

So what MPG are you 2260/head worked/diffed/6 speed/nozzled guys getting?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
My PD 2260 setup gets 38/44 or thereabouts. Depends on how fast you drive. I don't follow the posted speed suggestions very well on the highway.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Similar build, but running a 17/22, R520's, 11mm, 18:1 ARL Pistons, etc and will get low 50's on the highway. Took it from Milwaukee to Detroit and back a couple times driving 75-80 the whole way and got ~53 MPG. Normally right around 50 is what I've been getting.

Don't be nice to it while breaking it in - go beat the snot out of it, pull those long hills in a high gear, etc.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
MPG should go up a bit when rings seat

I agree with FUB don't go easy on it. Varied aggressive driving is what it needs

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a simple WOT log that I charted for the 1st time. Just an experiment. I will add more as I nail creating these on my IPad.

Blue is RPM
Yellow is requested boost
Green is actual boost

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
I had some strange behavior over the last week. I figured out what it was.

When I would accelerate hard I would here a funny sound and get a weird hesitation the surge. I degreased the engine so I could detect oil and fuel leaks.

When i checked for leaks, I found that the 3rd injector was not torqued down. There a lot of soot around it and it shot straight up onto the hood.

Torqued it down and now I have smooth acceleration.

On another note, I notice about 4" of oil in my 1/4" ID catch can drain hose, after about an hour of mixed to heavy driving. That said I over filled my oil a little after an oil change. I figure about 8-10oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Getting the oil fill just right is a PIA with those Amsoil bypass filters.

You're not the only one to do that so don't feel bad! ;)

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting the oil fill just right is a PIA with those Amsoil bypass filters.

You're not the only one to do that so don't feel bad! ;)
Thanks for letting me know that. I drove the car a couple hundred miles to visit and had a good ole time. My car still has the GTI markings on it so I confused a lot of other drivers. Especially other VW drivers. The big blasts of smoke after the shifts from 6-4th.

Same amount of accumulation in the catch can. I found that interesting. Half of what I expected. I wonder if that is because I got rid of the excess last time. Maybe it's just finding an equilibrium. I'll see how much driving back home.