mk3 jetta gtb1756vk swap-a-roo - TONS of pics :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't know how I didn't see this thread until now. Nice to see that car again. Here it is post detail a few years back.

I still think you should have hung on to those RCs.

Nice build. I'll be interesting to see how this ends up: hope you're ready for Dyno Day this fall.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
the mk3s have no room up front for a fmic unless you start hacking up the front support and then you have much longer IC piping runs..........
I'm confident that I can use a NACA style duct, or have something similar fabricated into the hood, and minimize or eliminate any ghetto factor. I don't plan on dealing with that until the fall, so plenty of time to think about it. Trust me, it'll look nice.... :)

justin

I did not know about this lack of room for FMIC... not very familiar w/ mk3s... Judging by how nice you car looks I am sure you will find a way to make this look great and eliminate any ghetto look... What a great project.... Keep up the good work!! Subscribed

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
I don't know how I didn't see this thread until now. Nice to see that car again. Here it is post detail a few years back.

I still think you should have hung on to those RCs.

Nice build. I'll be interesting to see how this ends up: hope you're ready for Dyno Day this fall.
I still think I should have kept those RCs too! :rolleyes:

justin

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I also considered upgrading the stock SMIC but there is no room there either.
I'm considering THIS SMIC which was made for BFI:

It's a little pricey. But it uses the factory mounting points and pipe configuration. That's the "easy button" in my book. ;)

Scott

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
Hey Scott,
Great find! I haven't seen this one before.
Pwrhaus has 20% discount till June 30 with coupon code: 20off
With shipping its a little over 450$

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
hey scott,

that's a nice smic. one thing i considered was sending my smic out to bell and having them manufacture me one just like that one. how much is it?

justin

edit: just saw the price. i think it's worth it, assuming you'd see nice gains. if i had known, i'd have gone that route before going the route i'm on now! :\

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
hey scott,

that's a nice smic. one thing i considered was sending my smic out to bell and having them manufacture me one just like that one. how much is it?

justin

edit: just saw the price. i think it's worth it, assuming you'd see nice gains. if i had known, i'd have gone that route before going the route i'm on now! :\
Your set up is Simply Unique :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Subaru drivers say that the hood mounted IC isn't that effective over 100 MPH because the air flow is above the hood at those speeds. That may not be a problem for you.

My .02 would be to buy another hood to put the scoop/duct in, so you can go back to the original paint stock one if you make a change.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
Subaru drivers say that the hood mounted IC isn't that effective over 100 MPH because the air flow is above the hood at those speeds. That may not be a problem for you.

My .02 would be to buy another hood to put the scoop/duct in, so you can go back to the original paint stock one if you make a change.
i do have another hood i'm going to sacrifice for this project... :)

one of the things i'm looking to study/consider is having the intercool fed from air coming in through the bumper and exiting through the hood, similar to how a v-mount intercooler functions but i think that will prove challenging as well.

justin

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on this project... I ditched the top mount style in favor of the SMIC made by PwrHaus only to find that it doesn't even come close to fitting. The mounting brackets are off and even when it's kind of in place, the bumper cover doesn't come close to going back on. not sure how BFI got this IC to fit on their GTI. :confused:

so I'm going to return it and go with the stock one for now. :mad:

justin

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
If it's of any comfort, AThreeTDI made 149 whp with a stock intercooler, stock airbox and no lift pump. I don't think the stock SMIC will kill us. It may not be a major handicap, especially for short bursts. ;) That said, I tried many "innovations" over the years that were supposed to fit or work as advertised. It was VERY irritating to be let down. I'd be pissed if I had received that non-fitting IC. But that's just because I've grown tired of all of the over-promising from certain vendors. :( I would have taken photos and then rained in that "1.8T conversion kit" thread at VWV.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
I sent Daniel a PM about the IC not fitting, so let's see what he says. I'm hoping they're willing to try and swap it out for another IC. Worst case, I'll send it back...

I read in that 1.8t thread that they were using a euro bumper, but I don't see how that'd change anything?

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
ended up going with the stock ic for now, had gtitdi button up the ic piping and wiring of the 4-bar map/iat. he did an amazing job, i couldn't be happier... (well, yes i could, moar powah!)

final setup is:

- "wild bill" ported head
- bhw manifold w/custom tapped auburn egt probe
- colt cam
- pp764 nozzles (iq @ 2.6-2.8)
- 2.5" t304 stainless exhaust, straight pipe with chrome turn down
- 4 bar map (mk4 iat/map)
- lift pump
- stock ic (sucks!)
- aac airbox
- 28psi tune from mike@tdtuning.com
- stock ip for now
- southbend stage 2 endurance clutch, 14lb smf

all i have to say is WOW. this car is scary fast! :D it revs faster than the tachometer can move... spins the tires in 3rd!

still running stock internals, so eventually i'll build out the bottom end and go to the next step from there.

here's a pic of the vehicle for reference... 107k miles :)

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
Good!!!

You dont need bottom upgrade, head stud upgrade are better choice...
At 28psi, the small intercooler dont be efficient, you need bigger intercooler, is good to test and run the setup to see if all is ok.

Dieseleux

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
for the intercooler, i think i'll send a stock IC out to bell intercoolers and have them make a replacement IC with their core and custom end caps. that won't be for a little while though...

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
I took my stock intercooler and sealed it airtight to the duct with foam.
and if you look at the top and bottom of the aluminum finned core right at the end plates that crimp to the endcaps, there is a gap that goes thru, front to back, that i assumed would allow air to bypass the core so i closed those gaps off with silicone.
With that being the only change it seemed to not heatsoak as quick, but didnt take logs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
At 28 PSI you'll bend rods eventually. Ask me how I know. Car still looks nice. I miss it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Revs, timing, boost, fuel. Too much of any or all will bend rods. Less will not. But then you have less power.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The IE Tuscan rods are great for the AHU / 1Z. They actually FIT and clear the intermediate shaft drive gear. I used them on my build. Price is quite reasonable too considering they include ARP bolts as well.

Add in a set of ASV pistons and you are set!

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
A good 24psi by efficient turbo, cold by big intercooler with right air/fuel do a pretty nice power and you never bend or broke any internal engine part...
Add 4psi dont make a big change, for same air/fuel and at same IAT, +4psi make only 10% more power!
At 90hp, stock engine work at aprox 20:1 air fuel and 14psi with medium efficient turbo.
When you push air/fuel to 16:1 and 24psi with high efficient turbo (GTBxxxx serie turbo), you have another engine under the hood!

Few year ago, i brake my head gasket a very cold winter night, -34c with 32psi on my old AHU...
This engine work great and alway use bigger turbo, chip and fuel between 370,000km to the end at 530,000km without bend rod.

Dieseleux