New brm turbo decisions

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks Clint :D

Yeah thats the turbo I went with. The actuator is considered a "dummy" since its not the electric one like what comes on stock. Malone will tune out that actuator and it will just run off a vacuum line. I know idparts has a smart actuator that they have or have fitted to their pd150 turbo upgrade but not sure how it would work with the 1749 but IMO its a waste of money considering the dummy will work just as well

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
It's a dsg so i know that will somewhat limit me anyway since there isn't any high hp/tq number cars with them that have had them on for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I wouldn't be too concerned with power limit on DSG. With that power you will be still in safe zone of OEM DSG clutches limit. Personally I think DSG transmission is a strong transmission and can handle alot more torque then our TDI's can produce. My only concern would be the DMF on TDI with high hp numbers, thats going to be the weakest point due to diesel's vibration nature DMF's tend to deteriate quicker then on gasoline engine. There are guys on FSI/TSFI/TSI gas engines making over 400hp on stock DSG without issues other at somepoint time require clutch pack replacement, wich is not a big deal there are few companies that sell upgraded clutches.

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Sent the ori to Malone today so they are working on getting it all set up for me.

Its not that I'm losing sleep over the dsg holding up because like you said I know guys pushing 400whp on the new golfr with the dsg. Its just the "what if" that scared me because as we all know it is mucho denero for a new or used one. Almost had a steal on a used mkv manual that needed engine work and I was going to do a full tranny swap but that sadly feel through :rolleyes:

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Update!!!!

So first impression of the whole turbo swap:
Not terribly hard, BUT there are some major hiccups and problem areas.
Stock turbo removal : pretty straight forward, took out the passenger side axel to get a better angle. I did the egr removal a while ago and if it was in it would have increased time by at least 2 hours and it would not come out from the bottom. Since there is a nice big hole there we went out through the bottom. Intake manifold was not removed.

The stock oil feed line for the turbo can be modified to work on the turbo, with that being said that line is STIFF! good luck getting it to where it needs to be to be threaded in.

That brings me to the new braided line for the oil. Getting the old line out is VERY hard without taking off the whole airbox and it is still challenging. We ended up cutting it in half after the mounting points on the block were removed and could get it out then. In the process of this the oil pressure sensor on the side of the oil filter housing ended up breaking off and had to be replaced.

New line is is and turbo is bolted to the block. The spot where the oil feed line goes inyo the turbo was giving us problems. Looks like the center part between the hot and cold sides was powder coated and we actually had to take a m10x1 tap into the threads to get the banjo bolt to actually go in. Can't stress enough how important it is to make sure you get every little burr and pieces of metal and powder coat out of that hole. We took an ear plug and jammed it down in the hole then vaccumed and took a magnet to it to make sure everything was out and cleaned.

Another kink... The accuator nipple broke off. Its the ****tiest metal ive ever felt and any little nick or bump on it can cause it to break off. Took a tap and die to a piece of pipe we had laying around and threaded it in there. Checked for leaks and its good.

First impression after loading the BASE tune... Severely unimpressed. I do understand it is a base tune only running 18 psi so I'm not going to jump the gun with a final decision yet. Running logs tomorrow.

Total work time i would guess took around 15 hours. This included everything i listed above.

Tlrd: broke some stuff that is imo poorly designed, had to replace /fix. Turbo in. Not impressed by the BASE tune for the amount of work involved. Still have injectors that need nozzles and to be installed as well. Will keep this updated with more when i get more tweaks on the tune done

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Sounds like you were a little brutal on the install!

Never seen a powder coated turbo CHRA, plus the fact everything is Genuine Garrett on the turbo. The threads would have been Left hand, hence the need to Tap.

Needs 150 injectors and a good tune to be able to make any sort of judgement

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Haha thanks, just stating exactly what happened and my opinions on the install.

We tried threading it in left handed but still no dice. It wouod grab one or two threads then get lose. It might not have been powder coated, that was an assumption after looking at what came out on the tap. The tubo might have been left handed but the banjo bolt wasnt hence the problem

Injectors and 783 nozzles will be installed in the next few months. Wasnt expecting the base tune to blow my mind thats why i said i would wait until its final stages to make judgments. :thumbup: :beer:

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Glad I didn't try this myself. Wow, certainly not plug n play like advertised? Especially since you were not overly impressed.

Big question: Would you but it again if you had the chance or go with a different setup?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Its not tuned so please dont jump to conclusions, it was plug and play other than a left hand banjo bolt as mentioned above.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
If OP was already tuned, then injection duration might be approaching the limits of the stock nozzles already, BRMs are limited in this way. Not only is a tune needed, but also bigger nozzles to see the true potential of that turbo. Will be more interested in what his R783s will yield.

Bigger turbos don't make for more power alone, they just make bigger fueling possible. That is where the power will come from.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
15 hours of labor isn't plug and play.

So again I await the answer to my question. That will yield more answers.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
We do them in 3 hours maximum on a ramp, the problems were not entirely the turbos fault and a left hand bolt would have been in the post monday morning but the job was done already.

You would have exactly the same job with a PD140 turbo but please buy what is right for you. Im only stating facts

The BRM is dead without larger injectors as mentioned well before purchase and in this tjread many times!

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am just asking questions from the guy who purchased it. Don't need a lecture from a vendor.

He is simply stating his experience with the turbo. No need to get all undone.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Not trying to start war her or throw more wood in fire, but I do agree with RyanP it should only take 3-5hrs for turbo swap. Don't know why in world you had to remove turbo thru the bottom if it comes out pretty easy thru top. I never removed turbo on any ALH, BEW, or BRM thru bottom, on BRM its even easier when you remove backing plate at fire wall only 2 10mm bolt/nut and its slides out then you have lots of room. I can imagine why it took you 15hrs to swap it if you were trying to remove from the bottom, also I never had to remove axle either.

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I try to post what I went through to give the average mechanic would go through potentially. So thanks for your concerns on how long it took me, I like to take my time and make sure everything is right considering this is my first turbo install.

Chiro, let me put it this way...it is a plug and play turbo. We just happened to run into problems that were not supposed to happen, IE actuator nipple being broken off and wrong threaded banjo bolt. After getting a tune revision I would 100% say I would buy this turbo again. Not looking for a drag car or a street racer and I realized the limits of this motor long before i made my decision with this turbo. For the $$ it cost to get 50-75 more horse id rather get a VR6 and turbo that and have something scary fast. (puts on flame suit :p)

A5, I know they are severly limited without new injectors. We had already talked a while ago about doing the 783 nozzles on my bew bodies but i know others obviously wouldnt know this information.

Ryan, Im not trying to bash your product in anyway shape or form. And if it came off that way i sincerely apologize. I had several quotes for turbo r&r from different mechanics and they all quoted 9 hours labor. So with that being said it would have been done in about 7 if we didnt run into the problems we did.

Losha, we saw no need to remove the intake manifold since it was a clear shot from the bottom and the oil return line needed to have new seals put on anyway. We removed the axle just to give us more room. Its all of 8 bolts if i remember correctly and made working on everything much easier from the bottom. I could have sat indian style on the ground with my head in the opening if i wanted to. You have your ways of doing it and I have mine

Finally onto updates....
Emailed Mark Malone after running logs and everything checked out so he bumped the boost pressure.
NOW IM IMPRESSED!! I dont know how many times i needed to state that i was not making any final decisions until everything was at 100% capacity. I have full faith in the numbers you posted that your clients have received with this tune ryan as well as full faith in Mark Malone for tuning the car to its full potential.
Still need to run a few more logs to get the final boost pressures set and for some reason im still getting a MIL for the smart actuator, Mark said he did the exact same coding for another person running a wastegated turbo on a brm so he is going to tweak it to see if we can get it to go away.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That's what I have been waiting to hear. Whether you would buy I again. And whether there was a big difference after the tune. I do not plan to change injectors, so I was curious to see what you said.

Did you have a tune before?

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Yeah I had a stage 1 kerma tune, this is much more powerful on the top end. I catch myself easily getting up around 80s on on ramps now :D I dont have injectors in yet but got a deal that i couldnt pass up on some bew injectors so i went ahead and bought them

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
My slope inverter circuit works great. No cel and seems to hold up well. Robby has one or contact DanG for info. Plug or splice. Since there is no market I guess they will be free or donations accepted.

Charlie

Kerma06TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Just got back from a local show, water by the bridge here in Louisville ky. Had a dyno there and even without the boost all the way up still put down 161.2 hp and 260 torque

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
This is with a 22 PSI tune and the turbo supplier recommends 1.8 bar (26 PSI) max., so there is room for more power :) We've already nearly pushed the stock BRM injectors to their limit, and they flow less than stock BEW injectors to begin with. I just e-mailed a 26 PSI tune with some more fuel to squeeze out of the stock injectors.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Just got back from a local show, water by the bridge here in Louisville ky. Had a dyno there and even without the boost all the way up still put down 161.2 hp and 260 torque
You are getting nice numbers but what is that weird blip between 65 & 70?