Quaker State 507.00 Oil?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Bob_Fout said:
What specs does it meet?
I don't know, I didn't look at it because it was neither a 5-40 nor a 5-30 and I was primarily there to look at the Q-State and Penn oils tat were mentioned earlier at the beginning of this thread.

Jules Pacheco

TDI
09 sportwagon tdi
Went to vw dealership in Wellesley Ma. and went to parts dept. Asked for oil used in 2009 TDI's. Was given a bottle of Castrol SLX orofessional LLO3 5w-30. On the container says vw50400/50700. $14.00/l Ouch!!!

Jules Pacheco

TDI
09 sportwagon tdi
I called another vw dealership in Braintree Ma.and asked them what oil they used in new TDI's. They said they used Castrol SLX prof. LL03 5w-30. I asked them the price and they said $7.39/L. What's up with the Wellesley VW price ? ??

Simca1204

TDI
2005 Golf , 2006 Jetta
Dealer Price

Jules Pacheco said:
I called another vw dealership in Braintree Ma.and asked them what oil they used in new TDI's. They said they used Castrol SLX prof. LL03 5w-30. I asked them the price and they said $7.39/L. What's up with the Wellesley VW price ? ??
Dealers set their own prices. Some like you and your money, some just like your money. In Richmond, Va. it's $7 something. Also the M.Benz dealer is cheaper on Mobil 1 than Walmart ( but it's packaged just for Benz w/o the other specs on the bottle.)

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Simca1204 said:
Also the M.Benz dealer is cheaper on Mobil 1 than Walmart ( but it's packaged just for Benz w/o the other specs on the bottle.)
Be careful here, There are 2 different Mobil 1 ESPs here, one is 5W-30 and the other 5W-40.
5W-30 is VAG 507.00 and MB 229.51 (and quite a few more)
5W-40 is only MB 229.51

The other way to tell the difference (because the numbers on the back of the 5W-30 are very small) is that the MB only oil is in quarts.
The Mobil 1 VAG 507.00 oil that you need is in liters only.

If you can find a Chrysler dealer that has it it's part # 68001334AA but they are phasing it out in favor of Pennzoil (i.e. the product this thread is about)

Pic of 5W-40 (and delvac btw)

Pic of 5W-30

If you want it even cheaper than avlube.com I just noticed that 1stchryslerparts.com has it for $6.47/liter plus shipping (never even ordered from them but probably will soon) You'll have to get to where you can look it up by part #. (edit--They have a company policy that prevents them from shipping oil. what a pity)

So, the Mercedes dealers do not have what you want (unless of course your lucky enough to drive one).

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
FL2AK-tdi said:
Because of the data sheets that are linked in the earliest part of this thread. Do you really think that a petroleum company is making two differnt formulations of light duty diesel vehicle engine oil to two different standards in the same viscosity?
Maybe. Remember the whole green/gold Castrol 0w30 fascination? AutoZone had two different versions of Castrol 0w30, one from Europe and one from the US, both carried the same stock number. One was the good stuff, the other wasn't, and no one at AZ had a clue about the products they stocked and sold.

To the OP: if the dealership says they are using a Quaker State oil that meets VW 507.00, simply ask to see one of the containers. And if they are going to change the oil for you, ask to see all five liters of the oil on the parts counter before you hand over the keys to a service advisor.

And ask for them to only pour in 4.5 liters and leave the other 0.5 liters so you'll have some for topping-up. If the container with the 0.5 liters remaining says 507.00 in the fine print, then you should be okay. But for warranty purposes, ask them to put 507.00 on the work order too.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
TornadoRed said:
To the OP: if the dealership says they are using a Quaker State oil that meets VW 507.00, simply ask to see one of the containers. And if they are going to change the oil for you, ask to see all five liters of the oil on the parts counter before you hand over the keys to a service advisor.

And ask for them to only pour in 4.5 liters and leave the other 0.5 liters so you'll have some for topping-up. If the container with the 0.5 liters remaining says 507.00 in the fine print, then you should be okay. But for warranty purposes, ask them to put 507.00 on the work order too.
its too early for the service, my car has only 80mi on it, and I would change oil myself anyway, with their oil, of course. I just cant afford having someone else do the job for free.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Its nice to see that other oil manufactures have begin to make on spec oil's for our cars.
I have been looking around the thread's, and have seen many people using different types of oil grades. The dealer had told me only to use SAE 5w40 for my 2000 vw jetta tdi, other grade oil's will ruin the engine.
Can I use 0w40 and 5w30 full synthetic in my car, without any demage?
And oh yea, the dealer said, the oil has to be Castrol Syntec, no other oil will do, which made me return the Shell Rotella T.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI said:
I have been looking around the thread's, and have seen many people using different types of oil grades. The dealer had told me only to use SAE 5w40 for my 2000 vw jetta tdi, other grade oil's will ruin the engine.
Can I use 0w40 and 5w30 full synthetic in my car, without any demage?
And oh yea, the dealer said, the oil has to be Castrol Syntec, no other oil will do, which made me return the Shell Rotella T.
5w40 is a safe choice for your model and year, because all 5w40 oils are synthetic and all are diesel-rated. SOME 5w30 and 0w40 oils are suitable, but may not be the best. MOST 5w30 synthetics are for gasoline engines only, in particular the ones you are most likely to see at the usual auto parts stores.

Why are you going to a dealership with a nine-year-old TDI?

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'm currently running Mobil 1 0w40. I have also run 5w30 and 5w40 Castrol in the past. I woudln't worry to much, now that you're out of warranty.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
diesel plus

Fuel economy
Exceeds fuel economy requirements of VW cars.

I think this is one part worth noting about 507 specs

Aquila

TDI
*** SOLD 08-27-15***09 JSW - DSG, Nav, F1 Tint, MFSW w/paddles, APR Stage 1, Unitronic DSG flash, HAVE VCDS
Quaker State 507.00 Oil

Hate to see a thread die...

Just returned from a "courtesy inspection" of our 2009 JSW TDI (3500 miles) and was relieved to find that the local VW dealer service and parts departments knew what oil is required (just checking!). They use Quaker State Q Diesel Plus Synthetic (labeled as 507.00, etc.) which was $8.20 including tax. This oil is listed on Amazon.com (of all places!) for $6.99/qt with FREE shipping. See - http://www.amazon.com/Quaker-State-..._5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1248977439&sr=1-5

I don't know if there are any "gotchas" on the shipping...

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
KALaBenne said:
Be careful here, There are 2 different Mobil 1 ESPs here, one is 5W-30 and the other 5W-40.
5W-30 is VAG 507.00 and MB 229.51 (and quite a few more)
5W-40 is only MB 229.51

The other way to tell the difference (because the numbers on the back of the 5W-30 are very small) is that the MB only oil is in quarts.
The Mobil 1 VAG 507.00 oil that you need is in liters only.

If you can find a Chrysler dealer that has it it's part # 68001334AA but they are phasing it out in favor of Pennzoil (i.e. the product this thread is about)

Pic of 5W-40 (and delvac btw)

Pic of 5W-30

If you want it even cheaper than avlube.com I just noticed that 1stchryslerparts.com has it for $6.47/liter plus shipping (never even ordered from them but probably will soon) You'll have to get to where you can look it up by part #. (edit--They have a company policy that prevents them from shipping oil. what a pity)

So, the Mercedes dealers do not have what you want (unless of course your lucky enough to drive one).
Here's mine. I'm just curious, do you know where did DD get the Delvac 1 ESP?

Last edited:

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Hope this isn't a thread hijack, but Pep Boys now sells Mobile 1 ESP formula 504.00 / 507.00 for $6.99 / liter - at least in the west, and I'd suspect nation wide. The Pep Boys SKU (part number) is 98JA93 if your local PB doesn't have it in stock.

They also stock the ESP formula M (the Mercedes Benz 5W40 low ash stuff) for the same $6.99 price in case someone wants to give that a try in their CR... (not me, and I don't recommend anyone try it!)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
barshnik said:
Hope this isn't a thread hijack, but Pep Boys now sells Mobile 1 ESP formula 504.00 / 507.00 for $6.99 / liter - at least in the west, and I'd suspect nation wide. The Pep Boys SKU (part number) is 98JA93 if your local PB doesn't have it in stock.

They also stock the ESP formula M (the Mercedes Benz 5W40 low ash stuff) for the same $6.99 price in case someone wants to give that a try in their CR... (not me, and I don't recommend anyone try it!)
Thanks for the info. It's about time that Pep Boys carry M1 ESP & ESP Formula M.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I went to my local PepBoys today and they had several liters of the 5W-30 and one case of the 5W-40. The price for both products was $6,99 per bottle.

I have a local source for these oils plus the Delvac-1 ESP. The Delvac-1 has considerably higher additive levels which makes it prohibitive for me at the moment. Once the warranty is gone and the newness has worn off I might be inclined to use the Delvac. The Delvac is considerably thicker at 100ºC (14.7 cSt vs 13.35 for the Formula M) and I don't know if I need that.

There's not enough difference between the formula M 5W-40 and the VW 5W-30 to worry about.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Just got off the phone with my local Pep Boys. Sure enough, 12 in stock for $6.99 each. He also confirmed it's a new item for them and that it will be a normaly stocked item. YAY!!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If Pep Boys can get these oils, then NAPA and CarQuest can probably get them.