Sufficient Boost gauge Malone Stage 2

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
What would you guys recommend? I am currently using a Scangauge II is this good enough or should I go for an analog gauge?

Or should I Drive more Worry Less?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
What exhaust do you have?

Did you log actual vs requested boost with your tuner? How did it look?

Scangauge won't catch boost spikes like an analog gauge will due to it's slow update rate.

If you had a stage 1 tune, I'd say drive more/worry less, but a stage 2 on a PD is really pushing the limits of the stock turbo typically. If you have stock exhaust, that helps. If you logged the performance and it was good/not creeping, that helps. If you drive "normal" that helps.

If you regularly use the power, have a open exhaust, didn't log, etc, then you best get a gauge.

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
I have the stock exhaust. vcds shows that the requested and actual are within 1/2 psi of each other. I however have not sent the logs to mark. with vcds I have not seen any boost creep. I have however seen boost spikes as high as 18.75 psi. Boost spikes are the same whether they are in vcds or on the scangauge.

Last edited:

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
As long as we are on the subject of turbo. I replaced the turbo with a cjaa cbaa factory turbo does this mean that I am still pushing the limits of the turbo? not sure about this... I also did not disclose this to mark. That was my bad.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
lol boost spikes @ 18.75 psi. that's nothing. you're fine. but a good analog boost gauge is what you need, not scangauge or vcds, those often won't catch it

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
lol boost spikes @ 18.75 psi. that's nothing. you're fine. but a good analog boost gauge is what you need, not scangauge or vcds, those often won't catch it
I will look into a good analog boost gauge do you have any recommendations? as far as a gauge and a good pod mount? could the boost spikes be limited by the way they read based on my map sensor?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i don't have any good recommendations for your car (if you've noticed i'm not into the newer cars). but i like the simplicity of the VDO ones and they are cheap..

as far as your second question, it makes no sense. just get an actual gauge

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The ECU reads the MAP sensor very quickly (100Hz or faster) so the map sensor is not a limitation on speed, however VCDS or Scangauge only get updated at ~3Hz so it's not the best. Especially the scangauge since you can't even save/plot the data to look at what happened. As burpod said, 18.75 is not really anything to worry about - even not knowing any details about your turbo other than it's for a CR TDI - I "think" they run ~23 psi stock

You really need to tell your tuner what turbo you're running. That's like going to the doctor for chest pains and not telling him that you had a heart attack 5 years ago - kind of important...anything else you're not telling us or your tuner about this car?

As for a boost gauge - this is my recommendation - especially since you have a different turbo and might need to adjust the actuator to get things dialed in for EMP's vs Boost.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Personally I like the Auberins gauges in my car, been running two without issues. They have settable alarms and can record the peak. I use them for my EGT and boost, two gauges take the same amount of room as a single 2" round version. The gauges are multifunctional, use depends on what sensore you have and how they are wired in.

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
As long as we are on the subject of turbo. I replaced the turbo with a cjaa cbaa factory turbo does this mean that I am still pushing the limits of the turbo? not sure about this... I also did not disclose this to mark. That was my bad.
Did you have to make any modifications to the CJAA turbo to fit it on your BRM?

It would be interesting to find out how much power you can squeeze out of CR170 turbo on a BRM motor...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
CJAA turbo won't bolt up to a BRM. You should probably verify that.

18.5 psi is fine, but if its stock you should tame that spike before you tune it. Any 30psi gauge should work well

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
Not sure exactly I will look into the turbo... it might have been a cbea turbo not sure though it has been a few years....... In any case should I go with a Vent pod or other ? I prefer to be able to see all my factory gauges.

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
Looked at the paperwork....... lol I was mis reading it...... I was looking at a gasket number lol. I have the stock bv39 turbo lol...... what is the highest safe boost that I can push with the turbo.....?