mk4 six speed conversion

Wildhair377

TDI
2002 & 2003 Tdi Jetta
Hello, just working on a 02 TDI. I have 2 5 speed transmissions, one with all the shift cables and box. Are these 2 trans worth enough to sell and go six speed? I seen one pop up today for 2k.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
personally unless you're car came with a 6spd or you actually got the parts to do the swap for free. I don't see the benefit, IMO I'll just do a 5th gear swap and used the rest of funds in other places like suspension refresh, but it is you're car.
Good luck!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
If you're going to be putting down a lot of power and want the durability or just want to say "I have a 6 speed from Europe" then go for it.

If you're looking to save money in MPG's with lower cruising RPM's or just want lower highway RPM's for noise/comfort, etc, then just get a taller 5th gear. You'll have the same RPM's for ~$400.

Minimum cost for a 6 speed is $2k and that's if everything is good. Need a clutch - add $1k, want to fix the common shift fork issue - another $300-500. Add an LSD while you've got it apart for the shift fork issue - another $1k. Speed sensor broke in shipping - $80, Need an axle because one is bad - $200-700, etc...

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah I wanted the 6spd for strength and ended up costing my 4k when it was all said and done between clutch and LSD. If I drive it a couple more million miles maybe I'll recoup in fuel savings. But I did sell my 5spd swap when I was done that paid for some of it.

Wildhair377

TDI
2002 & 2003 Tdi Jetta
Yeah I seen the conversion also that goes in The five speed trans. I am most interested in better in mPG's. What are the diesel five-speeds going for to sell one with shift cables?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The 5 speed converted to a 6 speed seems to be a bit of a nitch solution for those who really don't want/need the strength of a 6 speed, but do a lot of driving in the 45-50 MPH range where the gap between 4th and a really tall 5th is an issue for some. I drove most of 100k miles with a 0.681 5th and 205/70/15's and never had a problem with the gap between gears and I drive 35 miles each day on roads at 40-55 MPH. Some don't like that though.

For MPG's only, I'd do the tallest 5th gear you can get. I had the 0.681 and would have gone taller but with all the trailer towing I do, it was the right compromise to not have to run in 4th all the time. If I didn't pull a trailer (or only pulled it once and a while or short distances) I'd for sure go with the 0.622 - A stock ALH TDI in proper running order will pull it just fine. You get the cruising RPM's of either 6 speed option, using all the axles/starter/clutch/shifter/etc that you already have, without the $2k-$5k price tag, without the extra 100lb of weight, without a weekend's worth of work. The compromise is a bigger gap between 4th and 5th.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yeah I wanted the 6spd for strength and ended up costing my 4k when it was all said and done between clutch and LSD. If I drive it a couple more million miles maybe I'll recoup in fuel savings. But I did sell my 5spd swap when I was done that paid for some of it.
Speed costs money. This is my quandary as well:

1) VNT17 and be done with it, considering my current mods, and leave the tranny alone. $900.
2) Add a 6th gear onto my current transmission, or do a 5th gear swap. $400 or $1,500.

Total $2,400 at the worst.

OR, the really expensive way, if I really want to get beyond 180hp/300 ft. lbs. of torque:

1) 1756vk or bigger
2) new downpipe/exhaust
3) 6-speed tranny with quaife ltd. slip, new clutch, etc.
4) Rosten rods, which means cracking open the engine.

$6,500 at best, and probably more, as it doesn't even include labor, minus sale of the 5-speed... And this is just the beginning, as I'd probably want to upgrade my intake, intercooler tubes, and etc.

YIKES!

I'm leaning towards the former, since this isn't a sports car. If I want a sports car, I should probably buy one designed to be one from the factory...

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I had the .658 in my 5spd. I didn't really ever have an issue with it as I like to drive fast.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
3.16 final drive,.717 5th and LSD is a nice combo in the 02J.Likely costs less than a 6 speed swap especially if one already has an upgraded clutch.

I found the used 3.16 from the CTN (02A/AHU).Used .717 from CHA (02A/AAZ). Bought a used 02J Quaife LSD locally from wortex ;)

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
What platform had the AAZ with an 02A? I thought they were all 020s?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Wildhair377

TDI
2002 & 2003 Tdi Jetta
This gives me a lot to think about. My 02 I'm building has a vnt17 big injectors, dual disc south bend, 3 bar map, kerma tune. I bought it blown up and I'm in the process of fixing now. I've scored an 11 mm pump and getting ready to fix. Looks like I should just go with a bigger 5th and be done with it.