project caddy 08 1.9tdi

thesupervisor

TDI
1.9 tdi 08 caddy maxi 6 dsg
]hello from australia , new to this forum
ive had my caddy for nearly a year always wanted more power
though i loved how it went for such a small diesel it did have a squeek when turbo came on boost thought this was normal
last month finnally got it tuned from a local shop here
was great got it to 230kph on a recent trip
a week later the squeek sounded more like a budgie getting molested under the bonnet and power would just fade to zero ,took it inn to shop to inspect as i thought it was the dsg slipping or a boost leak was told turbo is broken ,so went back to a few emails id had with darkside bit the bullit and purchased a kit comprising of
  • 1 x 4 BAR MAP Manifold Pressure Sensor
  • 1 x Darkside GTB Turbo Kit for 1.9 8v TDI Engines
    (Turbocharger: GTB1756VK)
  • manifold
  • 1 x Darkside 1.9 8v TDI PD130 / PD150 EGR Delete / Race Pipe (57mm)
  • 1 x Hard Pipework Kit for 1.9 8v TDi BLS / BRM PD105 and BMM PD140 Engine
    (BLS EGR / ASV: EGR and ASV Removed , Turbo: GTB Turbo Kit)
just waiting for the timn belt to rock up and in she goes to get fitted im hoping for 200hp but amd bit worried about ther dsg time will tell
now im removing the egr and the dpf and will get a exust done at same time think ill go 2.5 with a resonater i dont want much noise in cabin
any thoughts or suggestions on what im doing?

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Hi Rob

Great you have a build thread up for this! Hope the install goes well! Just make sure the turbo coming off does not have any FOD, otherwise you will need to clean everything out before fitting the new setup.

Cheers

Ry

thesupervisor

TDI
FOD (foreign object damage)
learn something new everyday
im still driving the car so unlikely but you never know
cars booked inn for monday
tow truck to exhust shop then back and fire it up

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
FOD = Foreign Object Damage

When something gets into the turbocharger causing damage.

Usually when this happens, the objects are still in the breather system, air filter and TIP Pipe, Intercooler and Pipework etc so they all need cleaning. We also run without the breather connected to the TIP for a few 100 miles.

Cheers

thesupervisor

TDI
on the subject of intercooler im guessing i have a small one under the wheel arch bumper ?
any advantage of putting a front mount on at this stage or wont achive much
only thing i can see it doing will be to lower egt it gets hot here in summer a week of 40deg is not uncommon

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
the later caddy's have a FMIC as standard, it has plastic end tanks but is still full size!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI

thesupervisor

TDI
well install is compleate
just need a different sensor for the darkside gtb mainfold
now the sensor for the new manifold is a m10
and mine is a m14 part number 03L088bs
my guy says we need part number 045906088g but as we never had that engine here 2 week wait from germany i need it yesterday can any one help?
ive sent a few emails
darkiside
and id parts

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Just replied Rob, 045906088G looks the same size as the one on there.

Did you try the Bung in the Turbocharger?

Didn't see the bit about priming the Turbocharger. Yes, we do it by disconnecting the Injector harness and cranking the engine over a few times. It might bring up a fault in VAG-COM but you just clear it once it is sorted.

Cheers

thesupervisor

TDI
yeah guys primed it up like that
cant see any bung do you have a pic?
do you put sensor in the bung hole and block the one in manifold?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Nice one. Just replied to your email. The GTB1756VK does not have the Sensor Hole.

Cheers

thesupervisor

TDI
just a update
it has been very hard to get this set up tuned in perth
thanks to ryan have a obd being sent out and a tune
darkside have been most helpful
in a few weeks will be fitting pd150 injectors
any one have any vids of how fast my set up should be with a dsg?
i just hope im not expecting too much but once injectors are done ill be to close $10,000 spent on mods id like it doing 14sec 1/4 o-100 8sec
will put it on dyno once the injectrs go in

thesupervisor

TDI
thanks for all the replies
not sure why i even joined this site no one even replies

i have learnt lots by reading thanks
ill prob just leave now

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
You have to realize that most of us don't relate to the Caddy. We don't have much to contribute for that project. I believe Ryan had done one/has one and does relate. It isn't personal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
]purchased a kit comprising of
  • 1 x 4 BAR MAP Manifold Pressure Sensor
  • 1 x Darkside GTB Turbo Kit for 1.9 8v TDI Engines
    (Turbocharger: GTB1756VK)

• Is this a misprint? Did you really only get a 1756 turbo? Especially for that big ole Caddy? Then you got a 4 bar MAP?

Are you having any head work done? Just curious not criticizing.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
The GTB1756Vk with Pd150 Injectors will do ~220bhp, so it should go pretty well

Rob has the BLS Engine in his Caddy, which is pretty much the same as the BRM in the Jetta TDis.

One of my customers in Sweden posted a video on our Facebook Wall of his Caddy with the same kit. That was a DSG as well. I could not find it when I had a quick look this morning

Cheers

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
All I'll say say, is that I went big so I wouldn't have to keep spending money on change after change. I went from my little 1749 (VNT15) to the 2260. Of course when I bought one of RyanP's 1st kits that was really as big as you could go. It's plenty for my 8 valve in the Golf which is around 3000 lbs US. How heavy is that Caddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesupervisor

TDI
1700kg i think but it feels very light even corner pretty well for what it is
does your 2260 have much lag? whats the power delivery like?
and have you got a dsg?

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm 3750 lbs according to my conversion app.

I just did a long, varied, data log with my mechanic today testing my engine. I haven't plotted the data yet. My observation would say no. Let me tell you why and from what point of view.

1st. The boost gauge tells me pressure and I can roughly see at what rpm a certain boost is at. I saw rapid boost at around 1800 rpm. That seemed on par with my 1749VA(VNT15). It seemed to spool at about the same rate. However, my old turbo stops at 15-17 PSI. This 1st break in tune I am running keeps boosting to 25-30PSI.

2nd. My original turbo had factory piping and SMIC with a race pipe, original cam and head, original down pipe and exhaust with an EGR delete, with Race 520 nozzles and a custom tune. My new setup is the Darkside kit, with 2.5 inch FMIC, ported and polished head (with swirl left in), new modified cam from Frank06, a 3 inch exhaust with a resonator muffler mount where the original catalytic converter was. New Bosio Stage 2 Race 520 (7 hole vs. 5 hole I believe). The point is that while the pressure and spool rate seem close, the difference is the volume of air. The difference is the acceleration That translates to power and torque.

3rd. I have never driven GTB1749VK.

If laggy is: does it take longer to get to fool boost. Then yes. Does it take longer to get to the same boost my previous setup did. I don't think so. Maybe a little bit like a 200 rpm difference if I try not to be biased.

That said, it keeps on pulling long after my previous setup did.

Did you ever see the end of the movie Secretariat, the horse movie? The horse ran the race, like a short track race, even though it was the longest of the triple crown races. The horse shattered the track record.

My car doesn't seem less quick. It feels as quick as before. However, when full boost is achieved, it feels like a freight train that just keeps pulling hard.

(This is subjective of course)

thesupervisor

TDI
I based my turbo selection on the list on darksides site
I chose the 1749 due to the 230hp and 31 psi at 2100rpm looking back I think I thought it would be full boost from 2100 and max power at 3000 I think I made the wrong choice so may just sell it and but the 2260
so if I went to the bigger 2260 would the turbo boost be noticably different? As in when it starts to come on boost im more after quick 0 to 100 times and its a seven seater not a race car haha I just love driving it when I was stock im addicted to horse power and changing cars

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
Without doing headwork and exhaust and I am sure I am forgetting a thing or two, it will be a little bit more laggy.

Ask yourself where and when you want the power. I am NOT the kind of guy that likes to drag race from stop light to stop light. I AM the kind of guy that likes to get by slow drivers that block everybody else on the highways.

In the states, the left Lane is supposed to be the passing lane. What happens is that you get long distance drivers that set the cruise control to 3 mph above the limit and think that is okay to camp in that lane.

The other type are what I call herders. The speed up to catch the group and then slow down to match the speed of the pack and do the speed limit or less in the passing lanes usually women btw (yeah I said it).

I like to drive mostly alone and feel the need to break away from that pack. The point is that the windows of opportunity to escape from the herds are very brief. Therefore, I need acceleration right now while at highway speeds.

I also need that kind of power to pass heavy hauler trucks on tiny two lane mountain pass roads where I need to get by them in the oncoming traffic lanes. Especially when climbing those hills and mountains.

On top of that I want to tow on those rural mountain roads. I feel the 2260 was better suited for the style I just described.

I like to accelerate from 60-100mph as fast as possible. 0-60mph I don't care as much about.

Smaller turbos start off real quick but tend trail off because they can't move as much volume of air as big turbos. They can also overheat faster I believe.

Ask yourself how you like to drive. Make your decision based on that. I hope that helps.

thesupervisor

TDI
i want the power from 1500 rpm idealy
speed limit is 70kph mostly and 100kph on free way 110kph country and is getting expensive to get caught
i like to blast away at the lights hit 80 to 100 then coast back to 75 ish when i feel in the mood
still waiting to drive it and get the pd150 injectors inn it

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot that you have PD motor. You will more performance out of it compare to my rotary pumped VE. Plus with your driving style, stick with what has been specified in my opinion.

thesupervisor

TDI
Well just a update been dealing with vvt tuning in netherlands its just not happening and to be honest im done with them amd the pos powergate 3
I need a new tuner would prefer malone
Im happy to pay for quality service so if anyone is up to the task pm me and lets get the ball rolling I have acces to a bdm unit and can read files written in winols
I dont really want to buy anothe obd unit but if I have to I will I just want my car running low smoke 200hp+ and no code throwing its not too much to ask

bgcarter1

TDI
07 DSG Jetta, 06 Manual Jetta both sold Now Touareg V6 TDI
I replied to one of your other posts. Do a dsg tune add water injection, get rid of a little weight, get malone to tune (i talked to dax at skunkwerx racing, Google them or they are on here)