13'Golf TDI--Gas in Diesel: My Story

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
A week ago, in a state of almost incomprehensible absent-mindedness and utter stupidity, I unknowingly put 9 gallons of 87 octane regular in my 15 gallon '13 Golf TDI, completely filing the tank (9 gallons of gas w/ 6 gallons of diesel). Drove home (1 mile) completely oblivious. Car ran fine (on the diesel still in the lines).

The following morning, I started the car and let it idle for15 minutes while I loaded some things for work. When I went to move the car, it would only reach about 1500 rpms and would barely move (I was able to move it about 100' from my home office entry to my garage). Still in a state or utter ignorance, I loaded some more stuff (5 more minutes of idle) and then tried to drive the car away. The engine would not rev past idle and I was getting an engine code "service immediately" (or something like that). The engine quit, but restarted instantly.

At that point, my head popped out of my rectum and I realized what I'd done. Needless to say, I had a lot of anxiety wondering whether I'd ruined the fuel pump and damaged the engine.

Here is how I fixed the problem and the outcome (at this point):

1. Remove the rear seat (lots of vids on YouTube---piece of cake).

2. Remove "in-tank" fuel pump (lots of vids on YouTube---piece of cake).

3. Siphon 15 gals of contaminated fuel from the tank using an electric drill-powered transfer pump ($12 bucks at Napa). You must use a corded drill because you need 1200 rpms. You'll also need a helper to manage the two hose and also priming the siphon pump can be a bit of a challenge. (Use a funnel to pour diesel down the output hose and reverse the drill so you are putting the diesel you are funneling into the output end of the hose into the tank. When the hose seems full, reverse the drill immediately and put the output end into your 5 gallon cans. You should be able to siphon out all but about 3/4 of a gallon remaining in the tank. You can reach in through the fuel pump access hole and mop out the remaining fuel if you want. I chose not to.

4. Refill with 15 gallons of diesel and a lubricity additive.

5. Reinstall in-tank fuel pump.

6. Replace fuel filter (more on this later).

7. Purchase the Ross-Tech HexV-2 VCDS module and download the software to your laptop.

8. Use the VCDS tool and software to prime your fuel system (cycle at least 3xs for at least 60 seconds each cycle. (See YouTube videos----piece of cake.)

After doing all this I restarted my engine. Took about 30-40 seconds of intermittent cranking before she would fire and keep running. Several times the engine seemed to seize up (starter wouldn't turn the engine). I kept bumping the starter and eventually she turned, fired and stayed running. Lots of grey smoke. The reason I went this route (not purge injector pump or injectors and all lines) is because I found no metal particles in my filter when I changed it. No particles in the filter pleats. None on top of the filter. Swept the filter cannister with a magnet and picked up zero metal particles. Wiped out the canister with a rag and saw 4-5 small glints of light (probably aluminum particles). The filter had 12,000 miles on it so 4-5 minute particles of probable aluminum did not suggest to me that the contaminated fuel had damaged the fuel pump, hence the decision (albeit risky) to run the rest of the contaminated fuel in the injector pump and lines through the engine.

Took a couple of minutes at idle and a minute or two at 40 mph to blow out all the gray smoke. Time will tell, but the engine seems to run fine. Power seems the same. Not showing any engine codes. I will run for a week and then recheck the filter cannister for metal particles. I'll also check fuel economy in the coming week.

I estimate my engine ran close to 20 minutes at idle with a mixture of 2/3 gas and 1/3 diesel and it appears I have escaped serious damage.

Total repair cost: About $280.00 ($200.00 for the Ross-Tec Hex V2, $12.00 for the drill powered siphon pump. $10.00 for some cheap garden hose at Ace. Around $50.00 for new fuel and then $10-12 bucks for the lubricity additive.

It could have been far, far worse.:eek:

Smokin Joe

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It would have been easier to use the in tank pump to pump out the contaminated fuel. I'd put the misfueling guard on the filler neck, and never speak of the incident to the dealer if the hpfp craps out down the road. Maybe consider trading the car around the time the warranty runs out.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Not to put you on the spot but how are you disposing of so much junk fuel?

Good luck, hope it ends up with no damage. You are lucky you had that much diesel in the tank.

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
I just dumped it in the backyard. Just kidding!!! I gave it to my mechanic. He's going to dispose of it for me. I think he might just dump it in some trucks with 100 gallon fuel tanks.;) It would be pretty diluted.:D

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Yes. If I'd had my Ross-Tech computer earlier, I would have gone that route (just used the in-tank pump). What is the hpfp?

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Forgot to add the cost of three 5 gallon paint pails with lids (can't remember the cost) and a 5 gallon plastic fuel can ($21.00).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, high pressure fuel pump. You could have jumped 12 volts to the terminals on the in-tank pump to run it without vcds. Definitely install a misfueling guard asap. The dealership will deny warranty coverage of the fuel system without one in place. Plus it should prevent the same mistake from happening again.

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Thank you for the advise. I did not realize I could jump the in-tank pump. Should have realized that. I agree---would have been much easier. I paid $5.00 to on-line VW wrench (mechanic---allegedly) and he was the one who suggested pulling the in-tank pump and siphoning by hand. Lesson learned.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
I hope your fuel system survives this episode but you need to keep an eye on it still. You mentioned that you cleaned and inspected the filter housing for metal and found none, this is to be expected. The HPFP (which is the part most susceptible to damage by mixed fuel) is located AFTER the filter and is driven by the timing belt, you will not find metal from it in your fuel filter if it is damaged. IF the HPFP fails it will send its tiny shards downstream and more than likely distroy the injectors as well. You may have gotten lucky this time around and I truly hope you did. If I where in your shoes I would start saving up for the possible future purchase of every fuel system component from the fuel filter forward just in case (HPFP, lines, injectors, seals ect). If the contamination didnt ruin the pump this time around it probably has shortened its service life dramatically.

Last edited:

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Let's go with the obvious question: is it fixed/ vw neutered? If so and it doesn't grenade before the warranty expires then EGBOK.

LIKE everyone else, get the misfuel device. Suprised it isn't installed. Must not be neutered.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Smokin Joe - to avoid this in the future - get OUT of the habit saying " I'm going to gas / fillup my Golf" and instead say "I'm going to FUEL UP my Golf". I've never had a misfueling in either of my TDIs keeping this in mind (also helps that I'm sometimes OCD about some things).

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Can't you add a filter after the HPFP? If so, I would as soon as the factory warranty was over.

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
So, is there no filter at all downstream from the HPFP? That does not seem to make sense since no filter means no protection if the HPFP grenades, which they've been known to do. I just assumed that the factory cannister filter was downstream from the injectors, but I guess that is incorrect?

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
The other question I have is, why then would there be any metal particles in the filter cannister---ever? There is at least one YouTube video advising to check for metal particles whenever the filter is changed to insure the HPFP is healthy. But if the HPFP is not downstream from the fuel pump, that makes no sense and the question then becomes, if there are ver minute metal particles in the filter, what is their source?

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
Smokin Joe - to avoid this in the future - get OUT of the habit saying " I'm going to gas / fillup my Golf" and instead say "I'm going to FUEL UP my Golf". I've never had a misfueling in either of my TDIs keeping this in mind (also helps that I'm sometimes OCD about some things).
Good advise. Thank you!

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
That was a close call... Good job catching it before it was too late. But it does show that these pumps will not be ruined immediately rather providing ample warnings to the driver before the permanent and costly damage is occurred.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just because the pump didn't immediately self destruct doesn't mean it's service life wasn't dramatically reduced. Hopefully that's not the case. Something to consider when the warranty is about to expire though.

The filter is upstream of the hpfp. A member here, 2micron, made a filtration kit that contained the debris in the event of a hpfp failure, but stopped making the kits, afaik. You might get very lucky and find a used one in the for sale section here.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
The other question I have is, why then would there be any metal particles in the filter cannister---ever? There is at least one YouTube video advising to check for metal particles whenever the filter is changed to insure the HPFP is healthy. But if the HPFP is not downstream from the fuel pump, that makes no sense and the question then becomes, if there are ver minute metal particles in the filter, what is their source?
You still have the in tank pump and another lift pump (I believe) that are electrically driven BEFORE the filter and the mechanically driven HPFP that can possibly supply the small debris that you should look for in the filter when you change it. The filter is there to make sure that those debris dont make it to the HPFP and distroy it, but it wont filter out gasoline which will also ruin it of course. A filter after the HPFP would be nice, and there may be a few kits still out there, but HPFP failures are not SUPER common, very few gave up for just no reason or original defect, many where due to misfueling. I like the video from The Humble Mechanic on the HPFP check it out https://youtu.be/sHUxDHJ9HIs
If the link doesnt work just search "why vw parts fail :TDI HPFP" on YouTube.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i dont have experience on CR vehicles, but from looking at the video jessie posted id say a few things. although you ve already done what you have, so if damage is done, no way to know right now from what your saying.
but like you say you did, drain tank as much as you can. the filter (<new of course)id fill up with diesel purge, a good lubricant, and add to inlet line. now it looks on rail there are injection lines. id loosen lines, so 1 motor wont run, but you can 2 purge fuel system and lines. try to get fuel up to filter, crank to purge system as best you can, and get gas and/or contaminants purged out. will come out of loose inj lines. after this maybe drain filter and add more purge (to filter)for a start, and try to start.
you will minimize the amount of gas in pressure pump and down fuel system, and purge thru before running.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the advise guys.
Actually quit worrying about this. Somewhere in Arkansas a number of years ago a pump jockey filled my 2002 Jetta with gas. Had exactly your symptoms.
Had the "repair" done at a VW dealer. The car was still going strong in 2016 when I moved to my Passat.

All others telling you doomsday stories haven't had it happen to them so have no first hand knowledge.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
sure there is dude. CR vehicles arent my forte, but you can see it can become a problem, and can be hard to trace down. one thing you say, your car was an '02, ALH i take it. gas and contamination in fuel are a concern and have to be rectified, but this is a CR. the HPFP can have premature wear that comes up later.
one thing i dont know about CRs and diagnosing a HPFP, is if there is a fuel pressure reading you can hook up that will help with diagnosis of a hpfp.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually quit worrying about this. Somewhere in Arkansas a number of years ago a pump jockey filled my 2002 Jetta with gas. Had exactly your symptoms.
Had the "repair" done at a VW dealer. The car was still going strong in 2016 when I moved to my Passat.
All others telling you doomsday stories haven't had it happen to them so have no first hand knowledge.

Your '02 didn't even have a hpfp. The common rails operate at nearly ten times the fuel pressure of the ALH. Completely different animal.

https://idpartsblog.com/2016/01/25/tdi-fuel-injection-systems-rotary-pd-and-common-rail/

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Hey Apple I'm on Orange... wanna hook up?

As explained, the difference of technology between an 02 and this guys car is not even on the same planet. I'd be worried, very worried.