Is this alternator clutch pulley bad or is the alternator shaft bent?

atikovi

Veteran Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtcR9ko_kE&feature=youtu.be
2006 Jetta TDI. I hear an annoying squealling or chirping noise when accellerating. At steady speeds the noise comes and goes for a few seconds and with no set pattern. Sometimes when the noise changes, the engine feels like it has more power, similar to when the load of the a/c compressor is turned off. Removed the serpentine belt, revved the engine and the noise was gone. The serpentine tensioner pulley bearing was loose so I replaced the pulley thinking that was the problem but that didn't stop it. Next in line is the alternator or it's clutch pulley in the video. Is the wobbling pulley causing the noise or should I replace it anyway for the wobble? Or is it wobbling because the alternator shaft is bent and I should replace the alternator?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Video works. Jam a screwdriver in there and see if it’s clutch pulley still works, where it will only spin one way. If the pulley works, just replace the whole thing. So far I’m pleased with the one I got from metal man. Though I am more contented than most to simply swap parts and think of all the money and time saved

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
$10 on bent shaft. I had a clutch go out on my Chevy and my dads Buick. They do not rotate that smoothly when they go bad.
either way that SOB is a belt eater!
Go OEM

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Seems like a bent shaft but also my understanding is that the pulley should not be free to spin in both directions. The clutched pulley should only allow it to spin in the direction of the serpentine belt rotation and not the opposite way as to not allow the alternator to spin reverse when you shut the motor down and the engine turns backwards a little from the compression bounce.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Seems like a bent shaft but also my understanding is that the pulley should not be free to spin in both directions. The clutched pulley should only allow it to spin in the direction of the serpentine belt rotation and not the opposite way as to not allow the alternator to spin reverse when you shut the motor down and the engine turns backwards a little from the compression bounce.
The pulley should spin in both directions but the internal will only spin one way due to the clutch slipping and doing its job, otherwise the belt would wear when the engine is shut down and a bit of a back chirp like you said happens.
This is my understanding

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Yes, spinning the pulley the direction you did the pulley should slip. If the pulley is locked solid the tensioner will jump around and you will have noise. I would replace the alternator including a new pulley.

ejoskf

TDI
1.9 tdi passat 2004
Grinding noise from alternator is ok, I've bought brand new and it was making that noise and I've had the same wobble on shaft. Remove the alternator, remove pulley (specific tool required £8 eBay) and impact gun. And check for wobble on shaft without pulley. If you don't have time new alternator. Take your old to the shop some give you 100-200 off if you bring old alternator. What country are you at?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, your not far from me and my shop. If you wanted, you could bring it up my way in Frederick and work on it? not sure if its driveable. If you have a garage or a shop and your tools, id be happy to hop down and lend you a hand for a few beers!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Great news. I have no idea how an alternator could develop a bent shaft.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No lower engine cover. I woulda guessed OPs was bent, nice that it wasn't. Some piece of junk flying off a truck in high speed urban traffic, you may not even notice.