02 jetta fuel issue

Hb7194

TDI
02 Jetta
Hello. I have a 02 jetta 1.9 tdi. Have had it about a month now. First tdi but have had other diesels and have above average mechanical skills. Have a issue that i need help with since i dont know much about the 1.9 tdi yet.

Car running fine and came to end of off ramp and it died. Had just been filled with fuel within 15 miles but was run very near empty before filling. Had no glow plug light. Read about 109 relay and pulled it. Took the cover off and inspeced it. Couldnt see anything wrong. Put it back in. Car started and drove 10 miles before cutting off again when pulling in driveway. Ordered 2 new 109 relays. Installed new relay 4 days later when they came in. Car started but idled and ran kinda rough. No smoke tho. Idled for about 10 mins then drove 5 miles. Car seemed down on power but in the last mile it went to running normal. Idled another 5 mins and when pulling out of driveway it died. Wouldnt start. Car sat a day and then started. Drove 5 miles back home with it and it ran fine. Shut it off and went to move it and wont start.

Im not sure where to start at now and would appreciate any and all advice yall have. Love this car and engine so wanna get it back going asap. Thanks

Hb7194

TDI
02 Jetta
Ok i have found the issue. My wife filled it up with non ethanol gas. Yay. Whats the best way to drain and refill the system?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The tank is easy to get to, passenger side back seat pops right out, big plastic nut/cap.
Connect a sucking device (mity-vac) to the return line coming out of the injection pump, put some fresh #2 in the tank (or even biodiesel if available), suck out maybe 1 or 2 quarts, change the filter (pre-fill), crack all 4 injector nuts and crank for a bit, put down some rags. That should purge the lines and any air that may have been introduced.
Oh, and never use the word "gas". People think we're being smarta$$s for that, but if you're like me, and you let anyone borrow your car, the label on the filler door is not enough.