newby MDI question for 2015 TDI SEL

sly

TDI
2015 TDI Sportswagen SEL
Hi,
new here and to the vw all together. Came from a 2013 Toyota Prius and decided life was too short to drive that. Traded it in for a 2015 TDI Sportswagen SEL w/ 25k on it. Seems like a really clean car. I took the car today but have been in the process of buying it for a while (love those dealerships). I was disappointed to discover Car Play was only avail on the 2016 and to upgrade required way more than I willing to pay. First world problems though.
I also messed up my research as I expected to find a usb and head phone jack in the little compartment behind the shifter (guess that's in later models). To my surprise, there is an MDI or MMI port there. (Even my '13 Prius had a usb port!).
Has anyone successfully changed this to a USB port?
It seems that Amazon sells some very poorly reviewed MDI cables that have a usb terminal but these only works to attach a USB hard drive to it and that you can't really attach a USB to USB-C extension to charge and play from your modern Android phone.
Hoping someone can tell me I am not looking the right places and that there exists a MDI to USB C cable to will let my phone charge and play (for better sound quality than bluetooth).
Thanks.
PS: Has anyone ever installed one of these: KCE-G7QI (link ) ?

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You'd have to upgrade to the MIB2 (2016+) system that supports a standard USB input. Thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=496721

Or unfortunately deal with expensive OEM MDI cables. Note that if you get the Female USB MDI cable, it will only charge a cell phone and not transfer any data:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mdi-adapter-cable-lightning/5n0035554h/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mdi-adapter-cable-usb/000051446b/

Last edited:

sly

TDI
2015 TDI Sportswagen SEL
Thanks JM.

I think I will just learn to live it (again first world problems). I have to admit that I find so much right w/ other parts of the car and the dash set up, that this one throws me a little bit for a loop in what the point of the MDI was in 2015.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Thanks JM.

I think I will just learn to live it (again first world problems). I have to admit that I find so much right w/ other parts of the car and the dash set up, that this one throws me a little bit for a loop in what the point of the MDI was in 2015.
It's my one gripe as well, when Spring finally comes I'm going to be switching the head unit myself. After my rental having CarPlay, I honestly can't live without it. Worth the ~$500 I anticipate it costing ($800 to buy parts and then $300 from selling the original).

In the mean time, Bluetooth and a vent mount works fine.

Oh and, the Lightning connector came out in 2011 and was widespread by 2013. Why the heck did my 2015 come with a 30-pin Dock connector from 2003 :confused::D?