Diesel fuel high in Michigan?

Rjamesohio

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I just got back to Dayton from a quick jaunt to Detroit. I noticed Diesel was 3.59 there!

Back here in Ohio I saw Premium fuel costs actually MORE than diesel over the last week; diesel was down to $2.57

Why such a large swing in two adjacent states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Taxes, taxes, taxes. Here in PA it’s high also. Because of 99.some cents per gallon in taxes.
About 3.29-3.59 per gallon

Europe faces the same situation only worse several dollars per gallon in taxes.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I just got back to Dayton from a quick jaunt to Detroit. I noticed Diesel was 3.59 there!

Back here in Ohio I saw Premium fuel costs actually MORE than diesel over the last week; diesel was down to $2.57

Why such a large swing in two adjacent states?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't know but that's why I buy my fuel in Toledo and live in Michigan! Truth be told, I also work in Ohio and do 90% of my shopping in Ohio.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That price is not typical of my area, $2.59-2.79

GTPlus

TDI
2013 Jetta
I'm in the Detroit area. Not sure where you went, but the price around here is mostly 2.59 - 2.89

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
You must not be to far from me
I'm in Central MI as well... but I drive my gasser now. I was going to do the math and see if my current 32-34 mpg on gas is close to what my 46-48 mpg on diesel would be considering the high costs...

but then I realized I was too lazy to care.

PS - I really like having a warm defrosted car when it is time to leave work. Maybe I'll dig the TDI out in the summer... oh wait, my air doesn't work and it's black.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
PS - I really like having a warm defrosted car when it is time to leave work. Maybe I'll dig the TDI out in the summer... oh wait, my air doesn't work and it's black.

-24 cold start yesterday, not plugged in.

let idle for 2 mins, and drove away nicely. no more than 3000 RPM, in town driving, 2nd gear. she was blowing very warm (temp gauge moved off the peg) within 1.1km (.7 miles).

thank god for new thermostats!

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Diesel $2.85 in Knoxville, TN. This appears to be the new normal. What sucks is regular is $1.91. Thus no $ savings driving the TDI over a gas sipper. Just less time spent at the pump. If the diesel price doesn't get close to parity with gas soon the diesel passenger car will be extinct in the US. Perhaps that is the goal?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Diesels

Diesel $2.85 in Knoxville, TN. This appears to be the new normal. What sucks is regular is $1.91. Thus no $ savings driving the TDI over a gas sipper. Just less time spent at the pump. If the diesel price doesn't get close to parity with gas soon the diesel passenger car will be extinct in the US. Perhaps that is the goal?
With all the emissions on current diesels and the cost of maintaining those systems, including government mandates for 5 year OE warranties on dpf’s, it doesn’t look good. Electric and driverless look to be the future of freight and mass transit in my opinion. Still keeping my diesels until one of us wears out

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
$2.69 in Cook Co., Il and $2.59 in DuPage Co. I shop in the latter county.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
let idle for 2 mins, and drove away nicely. no more than 3000 RPM, in town driving, 2nd gear. she was blowing very warm (temp gauge moved off the peg) within 1.1km (.7 miles).
or... Hit the remote start button about 15 minutes before you leave for work. Walk out to your warm defrosted car and leave with little to no fanfare.

I did what you talk about, but when there is a layer of ice on the windscreen it makes for a very un-enjoyable morning. I even had a frostheater, you still needed to use that silly ice scraper... and make sure you don't run over your cord when you are snowblowing. [don't ask]

Don't get me wrong, I loved my TDI, but there are times where a gasser is just a hell of a lot more convenient.