1.4 TDI tuning/info

moxx

TDI
1.4 TDI
Hi!
It seems like the balance shaft is one of the main weak points with the 1.4 TDI.
Since I've fitted the GT1749VB and the Firad 50+ Nozzles, this is now the second time my balance shaft broke in half.
The car has run on 2 Bar boost and 75mg until 4200 RPM and made around 170-175hp.
The max RPM was programmed to be 5100 RPM.
Either this or the torque is way too much for the balance shaft.
The engine itself has ARL pistons, H-style conrods and has barely 20000km on it.
Does anyone know why the balance shaft is always breaking?
This time it shattered my oil pan which isn't quite so nice when it happens in regular driving.
How are others running 210hp with a 1.4 tdi? What have they done to the balance shaft?
You put a SACHS Performance clutch kit so I suppose you used a custom flywheel like 228mm G60 ?
But did you rebalance the flywheel like the original one with the little notches on one side ?
I did it and the guy who did the job said that the unbalance was very important at 4500rpm

dnnjunior

TDI
AMF 1.4TDI
hi guys
i have got an a2 1.4 tdi with AMF engine so it's wastegated turbo!!!
allready mapped!!!
Now i was searching to add a bigger turbo vnt and injectors
can someone tell me a very good setup trustworthy for my car?

Kind regards
Nick:cool:

tchouki85

TDI
lupo,golf iv,polo
hello, I contact you because I have a project on my Lupo 1.4tdi to have 150hp for 320Nm here is the material that I intend to use
turbo gtc1446vz
tdi150 injector
the concern that I would like to solve is the diagram for past from a fixed geometry to a variable geometry, do you or can you tell me how to do
amicably

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Just use the ATL map (Audi A2 90hp), it already uses the correct bit sets for VNT

Last edited:

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
No just take the whole file from ATL, put your injector map in there and tune from there on. Then flash the ATL file to your ecu ^^
With PD1.3 injectors you will need to change BIP maps

vnn23

TDI
LUPO 1.4 TDI 170hp 378Nm
Incredible thread with lots of information!

I'm doing a project of my own with my LUPO 1.4 TDI AMF

I did a custom 60mm (2.3") straight pipe with a small muffler at the tip cuz the exhaust was too loud to be daily driven. From the exhaust upgrade, itself car got to 82hp. (+7hp from stock)
After that, I did a custom map tuning and we managed to get to 108hp and 271Nm at peak performance with only 150mbar increase from stock.

I'm planning to follow some of your steps like: a bigger intercooler, will try to fit a front one.
New injectors, probably PD130 or 150.
And an ARL turbo, although some of you said there is quite some lag with the GT1749VB so I might look at V/VA and chose one from the 3 turbos. And lastly if needed, I guess it will - better clutch/flywheel or even a 1.9tdi gearbox.

I would love if anyone can give me some tips during the process to watch out for or point my attention during the slow transformation.

Heres a picture of the dyno results:

Last edited:

vnn23

TDI
LUPO 1.4 TDI 170hp 378Nm
HELLO! It's me again.

I recently finished STAGE 2 of my LUPO 1.4 TDI AMF project.

Mounted FMIC with upgraded turbo hard pipes.
AL nozzles
GT1749VB @ 1.8bar
Brand new OEM Zasch clutch. (stock gearbox)
2.3" straight through exhaust.
new 4bar MAP sensor
EGR Delete

We got 170hp 378 Nm running on 1.8bar till limiter at 5k

Here's a picture of the dyno pull:

Last edited:

PedroFR2K

TDI
Seat Ibiza 6L 1.4TDI AMF
We got 170hp 378 Nm running on 1.8bar till limiter at 5k
Neat! That's one hell of a pocket rocket. Would love to see a video of it. Does it make a lot of smoke?

I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4TDI and I'm thinking of tuning it up to 140HP, however I want to keep the smoke to a minimum due to strict MOT here in Portugal. I already have many mods in mind thanks to this mega thread, but I rarely see mentions of the smoke they produce.

The mods I have in mind are:

KKK VB39A turbo
PD130 injectors
PD160 air intake + KN Filter
Remap

I'd love to install a FMIC but MOT and police here are very aware of that mod, which is an obvious sign that the car is modded, so I'll have to run with a stock IC.

I'll also keep the exhaust stock, due to smoke concerns.

Last edited:

PedroFR2K

TDI
Seat Ibiza 6L 1.4TDI AMF
With stock IC it's not worth doing any other modifications, as you run into IAT limiter within seconds....
Sorry, what does IAT mean?

Is there a good option for a side mounted IC that fits in the original spot?

I can also improve the airflow by cutting a gap on my wheel covers (don't know how they're called) and put a mesh on the hole. I've seen someone do it here with the stock IC.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
IAT = Intake Air Temperature

Even with every possible modification to guide max. airflow to the IC directly the core is just to small, even with stock boost pressure levels these cars reach the IAT limiter pretty fast in normal weather conditions (ambient temperature ~20 degrees celcius). When its really hot outside (30+ degrees celcius) it runs into the limiter even faster.
I am not aware of any kind of SMIC upgrade which could show an real world and worthwhile improvement.
IMHO a FMIC is the only way to go. You can use the Ibiza CUPRA BPX/BUK engine code FMIC and OE brackets (If they are still available, I dont know)
Or some FMIC Kit from Airtec or Darkside.

PedroFR2K

TDI
Seat Ibiza 6L 1.4TDI AMF
IMHO a FMIC is the only way to go. You can use the Ibiza CUPRA BPX/BUK engine code FMIC and OE brackets (If they are still available, I dont know)
Or some FMIC Kit from Airtec or Darkside.
Understood. I might paint the FMIC in matte black to avoid any unwanted attention. I still have the original base model front bumper so it is more discrete, but when I upgrade to the FR bumper it will be a little bit more noticeable.

Hoping police won't notice lol.

vnn23

TDI
LUPO 1.4 TDI 170hp 378Nm
Neat! That's one hell of a pocket rocket. Would love to see a video of it. Does it make a lot of smoke?

I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4TDI and I'm thinking of tuning it up to 140HP, however I want to keep the smoke to a minimum due to strict MOT here in Portugal. I already have many mods in mind thanks to this mega thread, but I rarely see mentions of the smoke they produce.

KKK VB39A turbo
PD130 injectors
Remap

I'd love to install a FMIC but MOT and police here are very aware of that mod, which is an obvious sign that the car is modded, so I'll have to run with a stock IC.

hey, there is some smoke but i think its normal for this kind of tune, and its i only on full gas after 3k+ rpm
You will definitely need to upgrade the intercoolers in some way, try to fit it behind the bumper or some mod to hide it with a vent.

Im not really sure about the KKK turbo but I'm not that qualities to really give a opinion about it.

The MAP is the most important, find a really good tuner, the people who know their stuff can do great results with minimum smoke.

Dannyday1

TDI
Tdi 80
Hello guys,
My car is 1.4tdi PD80 ibiza. When u look at the title you will be shock or you will not believe that. Yes its a 3 cal PD80 tdi engine.
My goal was tuning to 1.9tdi engine. unfortunately in my country there is not much PD160 engine and they are not at good condition. Because of that i change my way to tune myown car.
As a result we got really satisfied with that engine.
First part of my works;
Big turbo,
5 litres intercooler,
Downpipe 63mm,
Filter
(2.0 bar)
Result;

Second part of my works;
Big nozzles (FIRAD 80%)
Big clutch kit (not bronze)
(2.1 - 2.2 bar)
Result;
video here
Finally
Seat Sport Intercooler
ARP head studs for more pressure (2.5 or 3.0 bar)
Bronze clutch
Boost coming :)
Hi I was wondering which intercooler
You running as struggling to fine on for my pd80

Dannyday1

TDI
Tdi 80
V

KKK VB39A turbo
PD130 injectors
Remap

Hi I was wondering if you have a link to were to get the turbo from please