Does the VIN number tell the manufacture Date, day and month

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The exact date is not directly coded into the VIN, but the factory will have records of which VINs left the production line on any given day. Who has access to those records and how long they are retained are quite another matter.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The exact date is not directly coded into the VIN, but the factory will have records of which VINs left the production line on any given day. Who has access to those records and how long they are retained are quite another matter.
Thanks Brian

Reason for asking.

If I had a choice of 2 (more or less exact cars) I would prefer to own the newest unit.. And for the same reasons we were all studying regarding sequestered TDI units. Not worried about "flat" tires. Am concerned about moon roof water leaks, sun fade paint, and sun interior damage.

My cars are garaged. Dealer units are not. Maybe that is why I have no trouble selling my old rolling stock on the CURB.

Any way, thanks again

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wrong assumption. My dealer has a parking garage for storage. Space in town being at a premium I guess they built up instead of out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.345...4!1s0GXujLrlh4eBbDdKUjLf3A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Good for Round Rock -- and you + your VW dealer

This Tulsa Okie is not aware of even one local car dealer with "covered" new car parking. Surely there is, I just am not aware.

Regarding my personal CURB selling, some of those cars are in the 10-15 year old range.

Meaning a NADA - KBB valued unit (say $4,500 full bore retail) I have it on C. L. Ebay, etc., at say $5,500 OBO. Works for me.

I shoot for full bore dealer NADA-KBB retail, because I sincerely think my use cars are equal or better than dealers comp units.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You aren't doing anything that any other seller isn't doing. Everyone wants the most for their car and they generally think it is in better condition than it really is. The first place anyone checks is NADA/KBB and current sales to get some idea of the price they can charge. Dealers seldom handle cars over 2-5 years old anyway. Used car lots and private sales are the general domain of cars this old. In the end it is what people are willing to pay and not what it is worth. Sounds like you have a workable plan though.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You aren't doing anything that any other seller isn't doing. Everyone wants the most for their car and they generally think it is in better condition than it really is.
....... One big difference is more people "trade" their used units. CURB sellers gain 'bout $2,500 for the trouble.

..... regarding condition, (or miles) dealers can not undue the wear tear and miles.

The first place anyone checks is NADA/KBB and current sales to get some idea of the price they can charge. Dealers seldom handle cars over 2-5 years old anyway. Used car lots and private sales are the general domain of cars this old. In the end it is what people are willing to pay and not what it is worth. Sounds like you have a workable plan though.
.... and as important --- who has either the credit or CASH to pony up.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
UP-DATE Does the VIN number tell the manufacture Date, day and month

I just was looking at a particular 2017 Golf on the net.

Last PIC on the 20 PIC show was of the "door jam" info.

Big as Dallas, this one was dated June 2017 (in Mexico) :D:D:D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
....... One big difference is more people "trade" their used units. CURB sellers gain 'bout $2,500 for the trouble.
..... regarding condition, (or miles) dealers can not undue the wear tear and miles.
.... and as important --- who has either the credit or CASH to pony up.
Wear and tear can be mitigated by repairing the car. Usually done to a limited degree and mostly the cosmetic stuff done cheaply to make it "look" good and pass inspection. Highly doubtful you can get $2500 more for a car worth $4500 than the next owner can. Most people trade because they don't want to mess with stupid buyers and they need another car right now. Trade-in assures these two things.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Highly doubtful you can get $2500 more for a car worth $4500 than the next owner can.

The "trick" here is in HAVING a low mileage. garage kept, one owner CARFAX, all scheduled maintained car with paper documents from a fraternized dealer, etc. Including gas tickets, if you are using upscale gas as an example.

See below on NADA definition on "EXCEPTIONAL CLEAN"

Clean Retail - Clean Retail values reflect a vehicle in clean condition. This means a vehicle with no mechanical defects and passes all necessary inspections with ease. Paint, body and wheels have minor surface scratching with a high gloss finish and shine.

Interior reflects minimal soiling and wear with all equipment in complete working order. Vehicle has a clean title history.

Because individual vehicle condition varies greatly, users of NADAguides.com may need to make independent adjustments for actual vehicle condition. Note: Vehicles with low mileage that are in exceptionally good condition and/or include a manufacturer certification can be worth a significantly higher value than the Clean Retail price shown.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good if you can get it. I bought a 2004 Excursion with the things you mentioned for way less than the NADA/KBB listed price. In my experience it rarely happens that anyone will pay more than the listed price for very good condition unless there is some unusual demand for the car. Your experience is different than anyone else I have heard of.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good if you can get it. I bought a 2004 Excursion with the things you mentioned for way less than the NADA/KBB listed price. In my experience it rarely happens that anyone will pay more than the listed price for very good condition unless there is some unusual demand for the car. Your experience is different than anyone else I have heard of.

...In general

Money flows to the stronger willed, better informed, more patent, persons (with the right goods) from the lesser.

Case in point. After my Father passed. Mom told me to sell Dad's OLDs
Two of my uncles laughted as Moms said $2,000. They said $200 and $400 MAX.

Long story short. After many $800 - $1,200 offers, I have a small bidding war going between 2 buyers starring at $1,500

I would check with the boss with ever $25-$50 bump.

Mom caved at $1,875.:eek:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I must be missing that $2500 extra profit you made on it. Money only flows "if" a deal can be worked out. If you are priced too high nothing happens.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Back to the original question: there is a sticker on the driver's side front door jamb that indicates month and year of manufacture. That should be the information you requested.

Cheers,

PH

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your car rolled off the line 09/30/2016 and became a US citizen (arrived in port) on 10/1

8/16.
THANKS

Looks like this bad boy is getting close to 400 days on the floor plan.

... reading the cost of "floor plan interest rates" it may have cost the dealer at least $2,000 already :eek:

.... makes you wonder why the dealer did not aggressively whack it months ago.

.... BTW the color is black.

Last edited: