Golf 2005 1.9Tdi no power steering

rs_cossie

TDI
golf
hi all, i changed front suspension parts on this and when i started it the steering light was showing in the dash and it is hard to turn steering thus electric assistance not working,

I pluged in Vag and it came up with fault 00573

00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269)
008 - Implausible Signal
00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269)
008 - Implausible Signal

i checked all conections and all ok, cant understand why it has this fault when none of the steering wires were touched when putting in shocks

i also carried out the following check -

** To Checking Steering Torque Sensor (G269)**

Prerequisites:

* Ignition ON
* Engine ON (Idle)
* System voltage at least 11.0 V.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 001
[Go!]
Field 2: Steering Torque Sensor (G269)

Turn the Steering Wheel multiple times completely to the left and right. The Torque Values should change.
If the Torque Values do change, it's most likely an intermittent Fault in the Wiring/Connectors.
If the Torque Values do NOT change, the Sensor itself or the Power Supply (Terminal 15) might be faulty.

Group 004
[Go!]
Field 2: Power Supply (Terminal 15), Specification: "Term. 15 ON"
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

torque values didnt change for me so it would point to sensor or power supply, power supply ok so it points to sensor but how could the sensor have failed while just changing the 2 shocks,

can anyone shed some info on this and a possiable cure because there must be another reason for it to have stopped working ?

regards
marty :)

Last edited:

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Save the codes and then clear them. should work. If not, charge your battery completely, clear codes and it should work. If not, I can't help you.

rs_cossie

TDI
golf
hi, had done all wha you say already but the codes just come straight back up . ive checked all fuses, relays and all ok, i doubt the sensor is causing it because i wasnt near the motor so maybe by moving a wire harness in the engine bay caused a wire to get damaged, would Implausible Signal mean a damaged/ broken wire or a faulty sensor ? this Power Supply (Terminal 15) wire the above test mentions, do you know where it runs from (fuse to motor ?) , and is the terminal 15 on motor or where ?

regards
marty

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Steering control sensor

Unplug sensor>spray contact cleaner on terminals>connect plug several times to work solution on. If code does not clear and you have voltage to plug then replace sensor.

gizmo25

TDI
vw mk5 1.9 TDI
same thing happened to me 4 weeks ago.
lost the power steering, took it a garage they cleared the the fault, then 1 hour later it came back on, took it again to a vw garage,after diagnostic, been told it's a common fault in electric power steering,no choice, had to replace it with a new steering rack that cost £650+vat+labour, total in £1145. not a cheap one ,

check out watchdog on bbc iplayer from 4 weeks ago, happened on vauxhalls as well.

rs_cossie

TDI
golf
hi all, quick update,to clear the codes i used diagnostics, disconnected battery etc etc but the same fault codes kept coming up again straight away when ignition was switched on. eventually the only way i could permanently get rid of codes was to disconnect all 3 block connections going to rack when ignition was on, rather strange why it only done it this way.

anyway took for drive and all was ok until it hit full lock and codes came back up, cleared them agian, kicked the wheel and they came back on, so cleared them again and hit the housing around the torque sensor a slight tap and sure enough codes came back again so obviously was a faulty sensor, cant get the sensor seperately ( stupid design VW ! ) , opened cover on rack to inspect but couldnt see any obvious cause so got a rack and fitted and now all ok ! really annoying when it happened when working on another problem with da car but sur thats da joys of cars !!