Advice needed: rebuild all suspension bushings/wearable

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
My 2002 TDI has about 167,000 miles on it. I recently heard a clunking which I'm pretty sure is the rear axle bushing. While I'm at it, I might as well replace everything else while I'm back there. Since I'm doing a Stage 4 and have a cam waiting for install, I might as well upgrade everything as well.

1. Is there a comprehensive list of components bushings and wearables while I'm in there?

2. I purchased the rear axle installation and removal tool kit before I left on TDY, but is there anything else I should look into getting?

3. What company should I go through? Should I get polyurethane?

4. What struts/coils setup should I upgrade to that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance.

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
As I redo the front ends on my A4's, A3, and B4's I have been using polyurethane bushings and have not looked back. Ride was just a bit less plush but hardly a noticeable difference. I think they will hold up much better and mean less maintenance in the future. Prothane had the best deal either on Ebay or their own website. They sell a kit with a complete bushing kit for A4's but I found a lot of the bushings in the kit were not applicable to my cars. Less expensive to order the ones you need, lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and end links.

The exception on the A4's is to stay away from the polyurethane bushings for the dogbone mount-stick with rubber as the poly's on the dog mount really transmit the vibrations of the engine into the cabin.

There are two subframe bushings that are aluminium-mine didn't look that bad but as far as I know they are not available as a poly.

Don't forget a lot of these have one time stretch bolts so get those ordered and don't tighten up the bolts to final torque specs until the suspension is loaded.

Haven't had the displeasure of dealing with the rear axle bushing.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Seat Leon Cupra R rear axle bushings. They are a solid rubber bush of a higher durometer than the OE rubber- much stiffer but still good NVH characteristics.

I'm not much one for the poly. I've got a buddy with a full-poly 2000 Jetta and I helped him move from Colorado with it, he in the UHaul, me in the Jetta. I can tell you about 2 hours in to the 1000 mile drive I was getting pretty over the NVH increase. Definitely was more fatiguing to drive, even with it loaded down with miscellaneous stuff to the hilt.
Now I can say it was a marked improvement in the canyons when we both still lived in CO. I just don't think for myself it would be worth the increase in NVH.
It really is down to personal preference though.