Westfalia Interchange

GLHTurbo

TDI
2005 Spice Red Jetta (MKIV)
I just put a Westfalia detachable hitch on my car, and I'd love to get another quick-mount ball assembly so I can weld a 2" receiver tube to it so I can run a cargo tray off the back.

Does anyone know if all model quick releases will fit each other? Does Westfalia have the male/female coupler design standard across the board? I can get just the part I want from overseas and have a friend ship it over.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I contacted idi parts on my bosal hitch and they said you can't purchase the parts seperately. so I'm going to talk to my local fabricator and see what they can do.

GLHTurbo

TDI
2005 Spice Red Jetta (MKIV)
I contacted idi parts on my bosal hitch and they said you can't purchase the parts seperately. so I'm going to talk to my local fabricator and see what they can do.
I can get them from Ebay overseas- people have them listed, I guess they sold their car without it.

I bought mine from PF Jones, I can contact them too I suppose.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
PM sent.

Not my mod but this has been done:

I actually have 2 goosenecks for my car as a result of having been rear ended. A new hitch was installed (thru insurance) and the new hitch had a new gooseneck....sorry but I am not selling it as having a spare is kinda good to have....

Last edited:

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I just put a Westfalia detachable hitch on my car, and I'd love to get another quick-mount ball assembly so I can weld a 2" receiver tube to it so I can run a cargo tray off the back.

Does anyone know if all model quick releases will fit each other? Does Westfalia have the male/female coupler design standard across the board? I can get just the part I want from overseas and have a friend ship it over.
Did you ever get an answer? I would like to know if this quick mount option would work with the Westfalia - http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Bosal/BSL043964.html

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
Looks only goes so far, I read that the locking mechanism may be different so that would be an issue if true. Can anyone confirm? Is there any advantage that the Westfalia hitch has over the Bosal one found here? - http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=845

If the Westfalia isn't a better product, I will likely just get the bosal for the sake of knowing the 2" receiver adapter will be compatible.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Looks only goes so far, I read that the locking mechanism may be different so that would be an issue if true. Can anyone confirm? Is there any advantage that the Westfalia hitch has over the Bosal one found here? - http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=845

If the Westfalia isn't a better product, I will likely just get the bosal for the sake of knowing the 2" receiver adapter will be compatible.
Compare the two:

Do both have side wedges?
Do both have the same shape/length of the receiver post?
Do both use ball bearing type retaining pins?

I do see that the release knob is slightly different; the Bosal is less "flanged" than yours (yours might give a better hand grip)

As for your question on the Bosal hitch sold by IDParts:

Both mount the same way as far as I know
Both use the same type vertical receiver
The Bosal swan neck is more like a "U" without the sharp angle that your's has (this might be why it doesn't fit in the storage slot in my Jetta):

Last edited:

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to bump an ancient thread but did you ever find out if the bosal and the WEstfalia socket system interchange?

I want to get a bosal AK40/41 style hitch for my new Audi to match the one on my TDI but quickly found out Oris/bosal non longer sell towbars as aftermarket (only OEM) so sourcing one has sucked. Westfalia ones are easy to find (albeit pricey)... Curious to know if they interchange.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to bump an ancient thread but did you ever find out if the bosal and the WEstfalia socket system interchange?

I want to get a bosal AK40/41 style hitch for my new Audi to match the one on my TDI but quickly found out Oris/bosal non longer sell towbars as aftermarket (only OEM) so sourcing one has sucked. Westfalia ones are easy to find (albeit pricey)... Curious to know if they interchange.

You might ask PF Jones in the U.K as they should know.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/audi-towbars.html

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like you'll have to wait until Monday for a reply as they just closed an hour ago.