rns 510 install... now car wont start

yoda254

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sedan
So the rns 510 in my 2014 passat tdi sel works when it wants to. Sometimes not coming for weeks. two days ago i found a guy selling a rns 510 out of his 2010 jetta sports wagon. i got the pin and installed it two days ago. The main problem i was getting is that it did not have sound. So i looked up what was needed to re-code using vcds. So I re-coded it using some of the info i found online mainly vwvortex and eurozonetuneing and completed a hard reset. Once i reset the head unit my car started acting funny. First it was a airbag error then a brake error, this turned into my car not able to start or turn off. The instrument panel is now flashing constantly on and off. Any tips etc will be appreciated.

yoda254

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sedan
Fixed the no start issue, somehow I killed the battery. Still not getting any sound out of the rns 510, also no reverse camera.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Your 2014 SEL has the Fender premium sound and the 2010 does not. I’m frankly not even sure if they’re swappable due to them being completely different generations of cars. Considering reverse cameras weren’t added to VWs until 2013, I’m not surprised it’s not working.

But the difference in amplification is why you’re not getting any sound. You need to see if you can use VCDS to code your new unit to output a line-level signal that your Fender amp accepts.

Moreover, the RNS is a terrible unit with dizzying amount of revisions. Get an RCD-330 (specifically 6RD 035 187E) instead and enjoy Android Auto or CarPlay with your Fender system.

Also, it’s dangerous to do these installs with the battery connected. The Airbag warning was triggered when you disconnected (or perhaps just moved) the triangle/hazard button.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Your 2014 SEL has the Fender premium sound and the 2010 does not. I’m frankly not even sure if they’re swappable due to them being completely different generations of cars. Considering reverse cameras weren’t added to VWs until 2013, I’m not surprised it’s not working.

But the difference in amplification is why you’re not getting any sound. You need to see if you can use VCDS to code your new unit to output a line-level signal that your Fender amp accepts.

Moreover, the RNS is a terrible unit with dizzying amount of revisions. Get an RCD-330 (specifically 6RD 035 187E) instead and enjoy Android Auto or CarPlay with your Fender system.

Also, it’s dangerous to do these installs with the battery connected. The Airbag warning was triggered when you disconnected (or perhaps just moved) the triangle/hazard button.
While reverse cameras weren't added per OEM cut sheet/bean counters before 2013, I believe the RNS could always accept the back up camera just needed the camera and coding change, this was the case for our 2012 RNS315, and I believe I remember seeing 2010 jettas able to do the same mod.

I'd have to question the quality and condition of the used unit, i could be the source off the head aches and dead battery.

Agree with disconnecting the battery to avoid the air bag warning light, but seeing you had VCDS out for coding it must have been a simple reset to avoid the dash light.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
While reverse cameras weren't added per OEM cut sheet/bean counters before 2013, I believe the RNS could always accept the back up camera just needed the camera and coding change, this was the case for our 2012 RNS315, and I believe I remember seeing 2010 jettas able to do the same mod.
Then we need to assume that a 2010's RNS can accept the signal from a 2014 Passat's camera module. A cursory look suggests they are different parts from the Golf/Jetta.

Agree with disconnecting the battery to avoid the air bag warning light,
While the VCDS can clear errors. It can't prevent modules from being fried due to connection/disconnection while live.

yoda254

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sedan

Other then the cd player what would features would i lose going with the rcd 330? Thanks for the input.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Other then the cd player what would features would i lose going with the rcd 330? Thanks for the input.
pretty sure the RCD-330 doesnt have the Sirius receiver built in either.

But if you have Pandora or Spotify, that wouldnt be an issue.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
It sounds like you may have a battery issue.

What’s the original RNS-510 doing? I can probably repair it for you.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Then we need to assume that a 2010's RNS can accept the signal from a 2014 Passat's camera module. A cursory look suggests they are different parts from the Golf/Jetta.
While the VCDS can clear errors. It can't prevent modules from being fried due to connection/disconnection while live.

Agreed as I believe we installed a jetta (MK5 Golf sedan) camera module in our 2012 Passat, its amazing at the cross shopping vw parts bin can get you.

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/volkswagen-oem-trunklid-rear-view-camera-kit?variant=9728422981

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7YrkNOiV5HeU2dHM202MHFBdEU/view

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There wasn’t an MK5 camera. There’s a MK6 camera. The metal on the trunk lid has to be cut to install a camera on the MK5.

The Passat, Tiguan, JSW, and MK6 sedan use the same camera. It may also fit an Audi Q5.

yoda254

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sedan
It sounds like you may have a battery issue.

What’s the original RNS-510 doing? I can probably repair it for you.
I got the older rns510 working for a few weeks now. The original rns510 from the passat would work when it wanted to. Sometimes turning on and playing like normal and then going weeks without powering on. It also had a CD error so it didnt play CD. So sometimes it would power on but the screen would flicker.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I got the older rns510 working for a few weeks now. The original rns510 from the passat would work when it wanted to. Sometimes turning on and playing like normal and then going weeks without powering on. It also had a CD error so it didnt play CD. So sometimes it would power on but the screen would flicker.
It sounds like you have a firmware issue and the laser in the DVD drive is bad. Both can be repaired.