Boxes/Chips and Injectors for TDI

jelly

I'd first like to thank all of you guys here at TDIC for putting up with my questions...but I have one more for you.

On a Non-PD VW Diesel, how much power can you add by putting on a box/chip and injectors?

I've done some searching (when it's actually working!), but would like a current update if you don't mind.

In regards to power, who makes the best ECU chip and injectors/nozzles for the TDI? Anyone offer boxes for the TDI? Are they as good?

Also, once you start throwing power to it, does the TDI start smoking pretty good?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rough numbers only, don't come crying if yours makes 1 horsepower less. These are for A4 cars. The A3's and B4's make less power in every configuration (more restrictive turbo, some models have lower injection pressure).

Stock, 90(ish) hp to the wheels.

Chip only, 110-115 to the wheels. Doesn't make a difference whose chip you are talking about, they are all approximately the same.

Tuning box only, a few horses less than a chip. Reason - they can't play with the boost pressure and they can only minimally affect the injection timing.

Injectors, there are so many different ones available now that it's impossible to answer, it can be anything from mild to wild. The biggest commonly-available injectors (with NO other mods) will put it somewhere in the ballpark of a chip.

Stack big injectors on top of a chip that's meant for those injectors and you're talking 130-135ish. Bigger injector pump does about the same as one size bigger injectors. With the stock turbo and intercooler, the limitation at 135-ish horsepower is because of AIR, not fuel. Dumping in more fuel than this simply makes more black smoke, not more power. It will be smoky at 135-ish horsepower.

Getting more than this, properly, starts getting expensive. Stock cam is very conservative; stock ports are pretty small; turbo is on the limit with chip/injectors; peak cylinder pressure is on the limit with chip/injectors and that requires digging into the engine to address it.

There have been claims of higher numbers than this. The independent third parties that I'm aware of who have tried to duplicate those results still end up roadblocked at 135-ish horsepower.

For what it's worth, the European models that make more power than that in bone-stock form have the P-D injection system, lower compression ratio, stronger bottom end, stronger pistons, big turbo running WAY more boost pressure, big intercooler.