www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 26th, 2014, 11:27   #1
Justinw303
Veteran Member

Default Anyone else heard this sound at high (100+ mph) speeds?

So today I having a little fun on my favorite stretch of interstate around here (easiest place to get some speed going) and took the Passat over 100 mph for the first time.

As I reached that point, and until I had decelerated enough, there was a flapping/knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. Sounded like plastic was involved, but I definitely wasn't sure. So I tried it again. Reached 100 and heard the same sound.

My hypothesis was the engine cover was flapping in the high air speeds under the hood, so I checked things out when I got home. Sure enough, the engine cover felt loose enough on one of the corners to do some flapping at high enough speeds.

So the point of this post is, anyone else experienced this? Did you confirm it was the cover and not something else? Anyone figured out a way to secure the cover better?
Justinw303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 14:09   #2
Driver_found
Veteran Member

No flapping here. The OEM securing points normally are very good unless someone took a shortcut and didn't secure things properly.
Driver_found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 15:16   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Was the cover pressed all the way down onto the mounting points? There is a very noticeable indentation when they're all the way on.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 18:21   #4
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

nope, quiet as a mouse when I broke mine in with several 110MPH runs up a 4% hill
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:10   #5
50pascals
Veteran Member

Never hear anything like that from up front.

I don'r know how the engine cover could get loose on it's own. You have to yank that thing hard to get it to pop off.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:42   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

OP says "engine cover", but I thought he was talking about the hood liner...My 2012 liner did shrink, pulled loose at the back, but I never heard it make any noise...never drove 100+!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 15:58   #7
nord
Veteran Member

Usually the noise is a siren accompanied by a light show. Then a racing award.
nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 16:16   #8
BMKruse
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord View Post
Usually the noise is a siren accompanied by a light show. Then a racing award.

LMAO... I have gotten a few racing awards... One with a special set of bracelets. They took them back once they couldn't prove I deserved them.
BMKruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 17:08   #9
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

I have hit the rev limiter several times and do 102-105 sort of often on the quiet stretches...no noise here.
mrmoto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 17:18   #10
passsattdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post
So today I having a little fun on my favorite stretch of interstate around here (easiest place to get some speed going) and took the Passat over 100 mph for the first time.

As I reached that point, and until I had decelerated enough, there was a flapping/knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. Sounded like plastic was involved, but I definitely wasn't sure. So I tried it again. Reached 100 and heard the same sound.

My hypothesis was the engine cover was flapping in the high air speeds under the hood, so I checked things out when I got home. Sure enough, the engine cover felt loose enough on one of the corners to do some flapping at high enough speeds.

So the point of this post is, anyone else experienced this? Did you confirm it was the cover and not something else? Anyone figured out a way to secure the cover better?
Remove it and see if it happens when you have some more fun. Will answer the question... I never heard it, but my cover is not loose.
Old April 29th, 2014, 17:53   #11
passatv6af
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B7 6MT

Maybe your grille was loose?
passatv6af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 18:00   #12
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post

Never drove that fast to have that experience........nor do I care to. You sir are a danger to me and my wife when we are out driving. Kids stuff and it could get somebody killed if it's just you that's fine with me, but there are other people out there on that highway. If you want to do that stuff take your car to the track. Nuff said
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 00:44   #13
Deepwater6

Fuel Economy: average 38-40 MPG

I have to chuckle each time I see the OP. I bet I'd hear things too over 100 mph......LOL!
Deepwater6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:20   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Where's the OP? ...hope he didn't get hauled off after his follow-up test drive...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:58   #15
Justinw303
Veteran Member

Haha sorry, I'm back. Got busy and briefly forgot about the thread.

Anyways, when I originally looked under the hood, I grabbed parts of the engine cover and tried to see what moved. The corner on the front passenger side of the engine I could move up and down an inch or so. It's not as if it's completely loose or floppy, it just has some definite give to it. Something that could maybe make noise at higher speeds. Just not sure.

I guess I'll take a look under there again and see if there's any other possible culprits, and maybe take off the engine cover and test it that way. Any chance it could have been a something more sinister, like an engine-related failure? No lights popped up on the dash, car has driven normally since then.

The next chance I'll have to stretch her legs will be thursday night, making an overnight roadtrip so there will definitely be an opportunity to safely make a test run.
Justinw303 is offline   Reply With Quote