Need help with a p0101 code

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
OK so I have a question. I've had this annoying p0101 maf code for some time had been having a hard time figuring it out. Here's the list of what I've done so far with no results.

1. Replaced the turbo with a VNT17
2. Had vw replace the EGR system per bulletin
3. Replace maf
4. Replaced pigtail for maf connector
5. Stripped and checked the wiring under the battery.
6. Replaced the camshaft
7. Replaced the timing belt (because it was due).
8. Silicone all the intake piping thinking there was a leak.
9. Took it to the dealer and they could not figure it out.

What I'm finding is that at 50 to 53 g on the maf it faults out and goes to 0 if I hold the pedal steady and it bounces up and down but the intake pressure stays the same. At the dealer they said the camshaft sensor was not reading on their computer. Wondering if I should spend the money and replace it or could the adjustable cam timing be off. This has had me stumped for awhile. I have pictures of a few screen shots from my logger I'll try and load later tonight.

Thanks.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Did you check all the boost pipes/hoses? I had the same P0101 DTC when the lower hose on the IC popped off.

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
JB05, yeah I checked all that. Even siliconed all the pipes. I know it's bad but getting to the end of my rope.

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
TDIjarhead, I did not get a Bosch but the problem did not get better or worse. The read out on my scanner shows the same issues on both.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
TDIjarhead, I did not get a Bosch but the problem did not get better or worse. The read out on my scanner shows the same issues on both.
So, you had MAF issue and swapped in a junk MAF and still have an issue? Go figure.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So, you had MAF issue and swapped in a junk MAF and still have an issue? Go figure.

I think you’re going to have to eat the junk MAF and get a new Bosch. Lesson learned, junk parts taste terrible.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16485/P0101/000257
Some dumb stuff I thought about after reading your post and the Ross Tech wiki-
Clogged cat
Clogged air snorkel or filter

Wires/Connectors seem to pop up more and more as these cars get old.
Then there's the mention of mechanical problems. Maybe run a compression check.
Not mentioned is the vacuum hoses. Many devices use vacuum.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just one more thing to consider - split in boost hose, cut/damaged seal on boost hose ends.

But from the air flow readings you posted I would pull the HO2 sensor out and see if they improve. As @BobnOH mentioned, a clogged cat will stop engine from breathing and MAF readings will drop off.

Jason

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
pictures of the readings

So here are the pictures of what I see on my scanner (hopefully this works, not very forum savvy). Right at 50G/S on the MAF it drops out but then comes back. Ill order up a new Bosch MAF and see what happens. I did replace the cam position sensor and it does run a lot better. Turns out my old one had zero signal going to the ECM.

Clogged cat:
It's not that. It was removed, inspected, test pipe, then put back in. Same problem as before, even with the test pipe just more check engine lights.

Intake lines:
Those have all been removed and inspected, plus if it leaked due to a crack I would have a drop in the intake pressure. my pressure holds between 15-17psi on my gauge.

Air snorkel:
I even removed that as well as the snow screen thinking the same thing. No luck so went back on.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMVrb6CGtIL71Aiqth3ZFsAqPOAzGCDnjjdAb2x
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMzbxJ2yxWo1XTSR631_9kJgkWZ5z7omQTHtGm5

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
Also I want to thank everyone for their input on this. This has been a long road for me and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Dkreisher

TDI
1.9 BEW
One thing was just brought up by a buddy of mine. Do you guys think it could possibly be in the ECU? I'd hate to replace it on a whim. I may leave that as a very last resort.

Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
One thing was just brought up by a buddy of mine. Do you guys think it could possibly be in the ECU? I'd hate to replace it on a whim. I may leave that as a very last resort.

Thanks
That's smart, they do fail, but it's rare.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Sounds like a boost leak, check the barbs on the hose where it's connected to the turbo outlet, when they wear boost leaks from the hole it creates in the barb.

Another hard to spot boost leak is the intake manifold, check that the bolts aren't loose.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Put a 1.8t maf in it they are better for some reason just solved mine by doing such