www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > South Central Regional States

South Central Regional States Local discussions for those on the South Central US. (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas)

Old January 9th, 2016, 12:07   #1
alphaseinor

Default RIP Bryan Dunbar aka Redneck Truck

Hey it's with a heavy heart that I am writing this.

Bryan Dunbar, a.k.a. Redneck Truck was killed recently in a motorcycle accident.

While Bryan and me were not always on the best of terms, I still considered him a friend, and someone who was always willing to succeed doing something new with VW and Audi vehicles.

He was one of the smartest people I knew, and he will be missed

I don't have information on when his funeral will be, but I'll see if I can post more info as I receive it.
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:24   #2
Ashleigh2006

This is the most heart breaking thing I've ever been through. Bryan was not just my boyfriend, but my absolute best friend. I know he had so many friends here on this forum and all the other forums. He talked about you guys frequently and loved learning all things VW/Audi and TDI.

I am still a member here and will continue working on cars in his honor.

Thank you all for being great friends to Bryan.
Old January 9th, 2016, 13:34   #3
Elysian
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf

I knew Bryan well before he got into the TDI's, back when he had a junk Pathfinder behind his house and the city used to send him letters about it. He's always been extremely helpful, welcoming, and just a nice guy all around. I'm going to miss our conversations. Ashleigh if you need any help let me know.

Adam
Old January 9th, 2016, 14:54   #4
LordZ
Veteran Member

Rest in peace my friend. The world has lost an amazing person.
LordZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 18:15   #5
reissue

Bryan was a great guy. He helped me so much over the last year. It was an honor to meet him in person at SoWo2015. He was very intelligent and always willing to lend his knowledge to a stranger. He would always pop in and start up a conversation through Facebook even though we didn't know each other too well. Here's the requested information on the memorial service

http://www.tjmfuneral.com/obituaries/bryan-dunbar-51529
reissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 18:16   #6
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good

This was most shocking news for me today when I heard it.
I still can not believe it . I really lost a good friend , and amazing person.

Rest in peace my friend.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:42   #7
Diesel-Dan1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Good dude. Was just getting into the swing of thing with the guy with my upcoming auto to manual swap. Also this last weekends cam issue. Rip buddy. You'll be missed.

2002.5 Jetta TDi, 5 speed swap, unlocked ECM with small tune, Studs, Stage 2 cam. Slowing working stuff over from wrecked car.
Diesel-Dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 15:57   #8
GotEuroCorrado

damn... i spoke with him a lot regarding his v10.
smoking deals on TIMING BELT KITS: http://tinyurl.com/ov57jfl
GotEuroCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:13   #9
Elysian
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf

Wanted to crosspost this, as this explains what happened:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Anthony Quarm
Last night as I was going to pick up the kids there was an accident right between our house and the daycare at Indian Run and Old Denton. There were several fire trucks, ambulances, and police on the scene and as I passed I saw a Honda RC51 (sport motorcycle) upside down and otherwise crushed. On the curb was a silver sedan with the passenger side looking like it was hit by a battering ram.

The motorcycle driver's name was Bryan Dunbar. He died in the ER due to blunt force trauma. The lady driving the silver car was turning left across Old Denton on a yellow blinking yield. Bryan had right of way and either she didn't see him, wasn't paying attention, or thought she could make it. Whether it was distraction, blindness, or ego, it got him killed.

I didn't know Bryan, but I found his name by looking at the tarrant county death records for yesterday. He was only a few years younger than me. He was obviously very proud of his bike as there are several pictures of it on his facebook page. It's the same bike that was crushed and upside down yesterday.

I would say that every tenth time or so that I take my bike out, someone moves into my lane blindly, cuts me off, or turns right in front of me. When I went to pick up my new bike Bryan was driving behind me and saw no less than two (or three?) cars nearly hit me. I typically take the time to look a driver in the eye when they do something like this. I don't flip them off, or start yelling under my helmet, or anything like that. I just look at them and hope they see a human under that helmet.

I have no earthly idea what anyone out there finds so damned important on their phone that they can't wait until they get to where they are going. I struggle to understand why checking blindspots and using turn signals have suddenly become optional. Maybe it is all the new safety features on cars, where if we clip someone or bump into them the biggest problem is the delay it causes us in that afternoon - let insurance sort out the rest.

It doesn't work like that on a bike.

If you look at fatality statistics, more motorcycle deaths are causes my cars turning left across a motoryclists path than any thing else. Intersections and parking lot exists are the most dangerous places for a bike to cross. Not the interstate. Not the freeway. Not the tollway.

I didn't know Bryan Dunbar, but it very easily could have been me.

I know. Some of you are thinking, well, just don't ride your bike then. I can't explain why I ride to anyone. I can say that i don't do it for speed or thrills. I can say that it is the best form of relaxation available to me. Even a short trip to pick up something for the house at Loews is enough to help get my thoughts straight. It's my own form of meditation. Avoiding it because there are ass clowns on the road who have better things to do than worry about my life isn't really a great option. At that point I might as well tell my kids to stay off the sidewalks, don't ride their bikes, or do anything else in public where people can possibly run over them.

Tonight there is a lady at home right now doing whatever it is she does on a Thursday night. Maybe she's just finished dinner and put the kids to bed. Maybe she is out on a date. Maybe she is sitting in bed reading a novel. Whatever it is she is doing, last night she killed someone because she decided to make a left hand turn without looking. And because of that, whatever it was that Bryan Dunbar had planned on doing this evening isn't happening.

I honestly hope she spends the rest of her life living with that guilt.
I knew as soon as I heard it was a motorcycle accident that Bryan wasn't at fault.
Old January 11th, 2016, 13:29   #10
no-blue-screen
TDI Nut

TDI(s): TDI

My deepest condolences go out to Bryan's family and friends. I didn't know Bryan but I tend to think of fellow TDI folks as extended family.

To all of Bryan's friends and family I will pray that you have the strength to make it through this difficult time.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 17:15   #11
alphaseinor

I hate those flashing yellows, people get confused by them, thinking they still have right of way... not sure if that's what happened or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they did. They are a stupid idea.
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 18:31   #12
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

My condolences go out to Bryan's family and friends. I didn't know Bryan but,I did follow him on his TT conversion.
Old January 11th, 2016, 20:02   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

I didn't know Bryan either but this is just a devastating for his family and friends.....RIP

A similar situation occurred around my Family and workplace 2 weeks ago tonight......however it was a Bicycle......my daughters Housemate Frank was riding his Bike that I bought him for Christmas 3 days before was riding home from work My Families Business he went to cross a major road at a Crosswalk with flashing lights 2 cars stopped However the 3rd didn't....he died in the ER of Multiple Traumatic Injuries.....At this point no charges have been placed.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:43   #14
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

My condolences go out to Bryan, his family, friends, and acquaintances. I have updated his user title to reflect his passing.
Old January 17th, 2016, 14:14   #15
kbrenny
Veteran Member

I just returned from his memorial service, it was a sad day to say the least.
There was a huge turnout, showing just how many people he touched on his short time here with us.

I spent many evenings working on TDI's with Bryan. I met him through this forum and we quickly became friends having similar interest in cars and projects. He lived rather close to me and we shared tools, parts, and advice quite often.

At first I was saddened by the loss of a close friend, and then it dawned on me, this will be a loss to everyone. He was a very special person and even if he knew it or not, he had a positive impact on many people.

I was blessed to get to meet Bryan and become friends over the past 8 years. I learned a lot from Bryan, but not just the mechanical knowledge. More importantly was personal insight and life lessons I acquired through my friendship with him. I was lucky to have known him.

I met several TDI owners through Bryan, mostly at evening gatherings at his house to play with our TDI's. I would like to invite all of those I knew or met through Bryan to keep in touch with me. Bryan would have wanted us to continue sharing knowledge and help with each other. I am not far from Bryan's house (Sachse), and you can usually catch me in the garage most evenings working on some project TDI or otherwise.
kbrenny is offline   Reply With Quote