www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 17:12   #1
yoda254

Default rns 510 install... now car wont start

So the rns 510 in my 2014 passat tdi sel works when it wants to. Sometimes not coming for weeks. two days ago i found a guy selling a rns 510 out of his 2010 jetta sports wagon. i got the pin and installed it two days ago. The main problem i was getting is that it did not have sound. So i looked up what was needed to re-code using vcds. So I re-coded it using some of the info i found online mainly vwvortex and eurozonetuneing and completed a hard reset. Once i reset the head unit my car started acting funny. First it was a airbag error then a brake error, this turned into my car not able to start or turn off. The instrument panel is now flashing constantly on and off. Any tips etc will be appreciated.
yoda254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 19:36   #2
yoda254

Fixed the no start issue, somehow I killed the battery. Still not getting any sound out of the rns 510, also no reverse camera.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:35   #3
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Your 2014 SEL has the Fender premium sound and the 2010 does not. I’m frankly not even sure if they’re swappable due to them being completely different generations of cars. Considering reverse cameras weren’t added to VWs until 2013, I’m not surprised it’s not working.

But the difference in amplification is why you’re not getting any sound. You need to see if you can use VCDS to code your new unit to output a line-level signal that your Fender amp accepts.

Moreover, the RNS is a terrible unit with dizzying amount of revisions. Get an RCD-330 (specifically 6RD 035 187E) instead and enjoy Android Auto or CarPlay with your Fender system.

Also, it’s dangerous to do these installs with the battery connected. The Airbag warning was triggered when you disconnected (or perhaps just moved) the triangle/hazard button.
2010 VW Jetta TDI RIP

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; May 3rd, 2019 at 01:44.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:29   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Your 2014 SEL has the Fender premium sound and the 2010 does not. Iím frankly not even sure if theyíre swappable due to them being completely different generations of cars. Considering reverse cameras werenít added to VWs until 2013, Iím not surprised itís not working.

But the difference in amplification is why youíre not getting any sound. You need to see if you can use VCDS to code your new unit to output a line-level signal that your Fender amp accepts.

Moreover, the RNS is a terrible unit with dizzying amount of revisions. Get an RCD-330 (specifically 6RD 035 187E) instead and enjoy Android Auto or CarPlay with your Fender system.

Also, itís dangerous to do these installs with the battery connected. The Airbag warning was triggered when you disconnected (or perhaps just moved) the triangle/hazard button.
While reverse cameras weren't added per OEM cut sheet/bean counters before 2013, I believe the RNS could always accept the back up camera just needed the camera and coding change, this was the case for our 2012 RNS315, and I believe I remember seeing 2010 jettas able to do the same mod.

I'd have to question the quality and condition of the used unit, i could be the source off the head aches and dead battery.

Agree with disconnecting the battery to avoid the air bag warning light, but seeing you had VCDS out for coding it must have been a simple reset to avoid the dash light.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:01   #5
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
While reverse cameras weren't added per OEM cut sheet/bean counters before 2013, I believe the RNS could always accept the back up camera just needed the camera and coding change, this was the case for our 2012 RNS315, and I believe I remember seeing 2010 jettas able to do the same mod.
Then we need to assume that a 2010's RNS can accept the signal from a 2014 Passat's camera module. A cursory look suggests they are different parts from the Golf/Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Agree with disconnecting the battery to avoid the air bag warning light,
While the VCDS can clear errors. It can't prevent modules from being fried due to connection/disconnection while live.
2010 VW Jetta TDI RIP
Old May 3rd, 2019, 20:36   #6
yoda254

Quote:
Your 2014 SEL has the Fender premium sound and the 2010 does not. Iím frankly not even sure if theyíre swappable due to them being completely different generations of cars. Considering reverse cameras werenít added to VWs until 2013, Iím not surprised itís not working.

But the difference in amplification is why youíre not getting any sound. You need to see if you can use VCDS to code your new unit to output a line-level signal that your Fender amp accepts.

Also, itís dangerous to do these installs with the battery connected. The Airbag warning was triggered when you disconnected (or perhaps just moved) the triangle/hazard button.

Other then the cd player what would features would i lose going with the rcd 330? Thanks for the input.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:55   #7
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda254 View Post
Other then the cd player what would features would i lose going with the rcd 330? Thanks for the input.
Integrated navigation, but if you have CarPlay, you can use Google Maps instead.
2010 VW Jetta TDI RIP
Old May 4th, 2019, 15:45   #8
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
pretty sure the RCD-330 doesnt have the Sirius receiver built in either.

But if you have Pandora or Spotify, that wouldnt be an issue.
Old June 5th, 2019, 03:10   #9
BarryT82
Veteran Member

It sounds like you may have a battery issue.

What’s the original RNS-510 doing? I can probably repair it for you.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:19   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Then we need to assume that a 2010's RNS can accept the signal from a 2014 Passat's camera module. A cursory look suggests they are different parts from the Golf/Jetta.
While the VCDS can clear errors. It can't prevent modules from being fried due to connection/disconnection while live.

Agreed as I believe we installed a jetta (MK5 Golf sedan) camera module in our 2012 Passat, its amazing at the cross shopping vw parts bin can get you.

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/...ant=9728422981

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Y...02MHFBdEU/view

Last edited by 740GLE; June 5th, 2019 at 07:24.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 03:26   #11
BarryT82
Veteran Member

There wasn’t an MK5 camera. There’s a MK6 camera. The metal on the trunk lid has to be cut to install a camera on the MK5.

The Passat, Tiguan, JSW, and MK6 sedan use the same camera. It may also fit an Audi Q5.
Old June 10th, 2019, 11:41   #12
yoda254

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
It sounds like you may have a battery issue.

What’s the original RNS-510 doing? I can probably repair it for you.
I got the older rns510 working for a few weeks now. The original rns510 from the passat would work when it wanted to. Sometimes turning on and playing like normal and then going weeks without powering on. It also had a CD error so it didnt play CD. So sometimes it would power on but the screen would flicker.
Old June 21st, 2019, 03:09   #13
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
I got the older rns510 working for a few weeks now. The original rns510 from the passat would work when it wanted to. Sometimes turning on and playing like normal and then going weeks without powering on. It also had a CD error so it didnt play CD. So sometimes it would power on but the screen would flicker.
It sounds like you have a firmware issue and the laser in the DVD drive is bad. Both can be repaired.