www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:23   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Aisins use an external TCM. The DSG has an internal one.

I think the Tig's J217 TCM is on the left inner fender somewhere, maybe under the fender liner.

And of course the J492 AWD controller is on the Haldex unit itself in the rear of the car.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:45   #17
2002tdi

Fuel Economy: 38ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The Aisins use an external TCM. The DSG has an internal one.

I think the Tig's J217 TCM is on the left inner fender somewhere, maybe under the fender liner.

And of course the J492 AWD controller is on the Haldex unit itself in the rear of the car.
See, that might be another issue, will the tdi ECM communicate with that tcm? that might be a whole other level of issues
2002 jetta tdi 5 speed TD tuned 48.6 avg. SOLD
1999 beetle 5 speed whitbread built. SOLD
2002tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 15:12   #18
kyle_h
Veteran Member

I hate seeing these good threads die
Old October 15th, 2018, 05:08   #19
2002tdi

i still want to do it. i just dont want to run into anything crazy.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:31   #20
vwztips
Veteran Member

Last year I converted a 2012 Tiguan S, FWD manual to a CR TDI, complete with Mircon2 filter and "upgraded" fuel pump. Donor car was a 2013 Golf with 6 speed.

Mike at TDTuning did the ECU programming.
Marin did the instrument cluster and Immo work.

Mechanically it was a direct swap. Only issue was that the gas cars use different fittings for the intercooler vs TDI and the IC sits 4" higher on the Tig than a Golf or Jetta. So I found the correct IC and plumbing for a TDI Tig from Europe on Ebay.

Definitely doable and worth it. Consistently got 32 MPG in town with my heavy foot and low to mid 40's on hwy.

Currently have a 2011 Tig 4mo. Bought it with a bad chain tensioner and 8 bent intake valves. Got that running.

Picked up a wrecked 2011 Jetta TDI with DSG. Once my 2004 Passat TDI wagon, 4mo, 5 speed manual sells, going to swap the Tig over to a TDI FWD. Have located a 4mo DSG in Europe in case I decide to go the 4WD route once I get the FWD up and running.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:37   #21
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Last year I converted a 2012 Tiguan S, FWD manual to a CR TDI, complete with Mircon2 filter and "upgraded" fuel pump. Donor car was a 2013 Golf with 6 speed. Definitely doable and worth it.
I bought the Tiguan from vwztips a while back. I've put over 10,000 miles on it It's a great daily driver. We were also using it to pull our Casita travel trailer. It did OK, but have recently bought a TDI Touareg for that.

Quote:
Consistently got 32 MPG in town with my heavy foot and low to mid 40's on hwy.
I get mid 30's for the most part. The best I've got is 39. Mileage drops to 19 towing, but that is still not bad. All in all, it's a great all around vehicle. When we were using it to pull the Casita I was going to convert to 4Motion. I sourced the rear suspension and had bought a TDI 6 speed 4Motion gearbox and transfer box. However, FedEx lost it (how do you lose something that big?). It took several months to get that sorted and we decided to get the Touareg so the 4Motion conversion has been put on hold.

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 05:22   #22
2002tdi

Quote:
Last year I converted a 2012 Tiguan S, FWD manual to a CR TDI, complete with Mircon2 filter and "upgraded" fuel pump. Donor car was a 2013 Golf with 6 speed.

Mechanically it was a direct swap. Only issue was that the gas cars use different fittings for the intercooler vs TDI and the IC sits 4" higher on the Tig than a Golf or Jetta. So I found the correct IC and plumbing for a TDI Tig from Europe on Ebay.

Definitely doable and worth it. Consistently got 32 MPG in town with my heavy foot and low to mid 40's on hwy.

Currently have a 2011 Tig 4mo. Bought it with a bad chain tensioner and 8 bent intake valves. Got that running.

Picked up a wrecked 2011 Jetta TDI with DSG. Once my 2004 Passat TDI wagon, 4mo, 5 speed manual sells, going to swap the Tig over to a TDI FWD. Have located a 4mo DSG in Europe in case I decide to go the 4WD route once I get the FWD up and running.

what did you do about fuel tank and fuel lines?
Old June 4th, 2019, 20:10   #23
2002tdi

Back from the dead. Just picked up a 2010 Tiguan 6 speed that is getting a common rail. Is there a year to buy that the harness and pcm will plug in and talk to each other?
Old June 4th, 2019, 20:14   #24
2002tdi

Quote:

Can you message me the person name who did the cluster. And did you use the Tdi or the Tiguan cluster?
Old June 5th, 2019, 13:34   #25
vwztips
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002tdi View Post
Back from the dead. Just picked up a 2010 Tiguan 6 speed that is getting a common rail. Is there a year to buy that the harness and pcm will plug in and talk to each other?
No, there is not a plug and play harness from gas to TDI. There are significant differences between the wire and fuse locations between the 2.

Much better to use a Golf as the wiring and fuse box is closer than the Jetta/Tig

Jetta ,97 (Marin) is the tuner's name that did the cluster work. He wound up using half the Golf cluster and half the Tiguan. The Golf cluster could not read the fuel level correctly since the Tig has 2 senders and the Golf has 1.

For my current TDI/DSG into a Tig project, i purchased a Tig TDI cluster from UK eBay which should resolve the issue. Plus the donor Jetta had a very basic cluster and the current Tig cluster was basic as well.

Just be warned. Wiring is the biggest challenge on this conversion
Old June 5th, 2019, 15:35   #26
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Wiring is the biggest challenge on this conversion
^^^

CR harnesses are not for the faint of heart. erwinvw has pinouts but even then the full cars harness barely fits in a 9x5ft area and will take many hours to untangle and depin. Quickly shrinks with deletes and removing body side components but it's a royal pita compared to an alh or pd.

DSG would be awesome, there's one with a euro TC auto floating around on the east coast with awd, guy who built it for the customer is very far off the deep end in terms of ability and shenanigans though.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 08:41   #27
vwztips
Veteran Member

Yes but I also found some inconsistencies from what Erwin says and what actually is in the car, in regards to the SB fuse block. Took a while to figure that one out.

The 2012 Tig I am working on is an SEL 4mo. The added bells and whistles are making it interesting just to make sure I am not screwing something up.

Short term goal is to get it running with the Jetta FWD DSG.
Long term goal is to source a DSG 4motion and replace FWD DSG.