Oh Canada, Oh Canada, aux heaters of the external kind?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
I'm interested to learn the types of auxilary electric heaters that VW Canada uses for its A5 TDI's customers. I've heard of an "engine oil pan" heater in one thread that I'd searched, and also a DSG oil pan heater? Are these VW Canada provided items? The www.tdiheater is an aux engine heater that many here have had great success, however its not the focus of this thread. What is the VW factory or dealership providing?

Oh Canada, Oh Canada, any discriptions? Either engine or DSG placement? Where they installed when the vehicle was new, or VW dealer installed? Are such aux heaters installed at the VW Canada dealership's discretion?

Last edited:

BlueTDI2006

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wanted this same thing installed in my car...I complained about hard starting when really cold, took 10 tries...got it started, but I'm not happy, since this should not be happening to a fairly new car. The VW service dept said I needed to put in "one Shot" additive for anti gelling of the fuel...I asked if there was any heater, pan heater or block heater I could get installed...no, was the answer...I may call VW Canada since I am not getting any satisfaction here at such a large volume VW dealer...maybe a member out in western Canada, and Northern parts may have an answer as to what VW dealers are doing there...I would like to know as well.....

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
aux heaters

Go to your dealer and complain about starting issues when cold.Get the TSM involved.In my neck of the woods Vw has been paying for coolant heaters for TDI with DSG's.
BlueTDI2006 said:
I wanted this same thing installed in my car...I complained about hard starting when really cold, took 10 tries...got it started, but I'm not happy, since this should not be happening to a fairly new car. The VW service dept said I needed to put in "one Shot" additive for anti gelling of the fuel...I asked if there was any heater, pan heater or block heater I could get installed...no, was the answer...I may call VW Canada since I am not getting any satisfaction here at such a large volume VW dealer...maybe a member out in western Canada, and Northern parts may have an answer as to what VW dealers are doing there...I would like to know as well.....

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Diesel Dazzler, Thanks for the Canadian "Aux heater" clues. Could "Steele Volkswagen" be the shop in your neck of the woods refered to in your post? If not, would you know the name of the VW dealership or its whereabouts?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Tim Birney said:
With any heater, please use a timer to regulate the length of time the unit is on, and minimize that time as much as you can.
Could you elaborate on the suggested, minimal use of Aux Heaters?
Is it the heating element itself, or the component the heaters attached that's effected by the minimal use? What up? Possibly the expansion, contraction, metallurgy vs. time, etc?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2footbraker said:
My car came with an oil pan heater, dealer installed. It is a pad that is glued to the oil pan. Works well.
Hey 2footbraker, (great user name) Are you the 1st owner of your TDI? Either way, would you have any contact information of the VW dealership where you purchased the car. Or better yet, the brand name of the Aux Heater installed on your TDI?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
1998993C2S said:
Could you elaborate on the suggested, minimal use of Aux Heaters?
Is it the heating element itself, or the component the heaters attached that's effected by the minimal use? What up? Possibly the expansion, contraction, metallurgy vs. time, etc?
As stated in the link, the "stick on" Oil Pan heaters have a tendency to fall off. If it falls off 20 minutes after 5:00pm, and you are plugged in until 7:30am, you may find yourself looking for transportation.
The Frost Heaters need to be run for two hours to provide what you require, and "stick on" Oil Pan heaters should be treated in the same manner.

(I sure wish I could find the "Garage Fire" link.)

Now if you install a Steel Oil Pan, and get a magnetically coupled Oil Pan Heater, then there is a minimization of any pontential hazards.

Last edited:

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
During Xmas I installed a heater that I got from Frost heater ( found in this forum ). INCREDIBLE !!

I prefer this type cause it keeps the whole engine warm by heating coolant where the sticky ones only warm up the oil. Personnal choice !

As you might know, here in Montreal, Canada winters are pretty cold ( probably like yours). I've tried it a few times plugged all night when very cold ( -20C) and the next morning, start the car and the temp gauge is right in the middle. It does go down right after startup but a minute later back in the middle.

Love it, ordered it and 4 days later it was at the door. Also very easy install.

Good luck

Luc ( french for Luke)
Montreal, Canada

Last edited:

slauso

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not sure what everyone is talking about.I bought my 2006 from Auto Haus in the Winnipeg.It has the factory block heater(whatever that is). It works great...we have some -35c and -50 wind chill values the last month and I have no trouble at all starting the car.At these cold temps my scanguage shows around 75c to 80c instead of the normal 90c.I have a full winter front I had custom made here in Winnipeg.I try to keep the rpms up so it will generate more heat.It is a fact of life,these diesel cars do not warm up to operating temps in real cold weather.My 2 cents......

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'm glad my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 came with a factory installed engine block heater. I love it!
I wish my TDI had that.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Tim, I get the point.

Puff gone! Aux heaters have their risks, and that fire doesn't discriminate between life or property. The car's owner in the "garage fire" link is one lucky dude. Detached garage building and all. . .