01slvrTDi's TDI bit the dust

Windowlicker

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 TDI / MK1 Caddy 1.5L NA
Posting for him as he hasn't been able to access the forums recently. .

This past wed night at about 7pm traveling to my parents in Elk Groove east bound on Hwy12 I was struck by a drunk driver traveling the opposite direction.... She lost control of the car off onto her right shoulder then swerved back across the middle line and into the front side of my TDi.... According to the first CHP officer on scene he had arrested her 2-3weeks earlier for a DUI..... my brother and I spent 6plus hours at the hospital, we're more or less ok, bruised, battered, and very sore... my left arm is in a sling for 3-4days...... and now for pics...

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Wow, this is bad! It looks like Jonathan ... is it! Dude that suck!
I am so sorry for the accident and for your loss of a very nice Tdi.
I wonder now what the insurance company is going to give it as a bluebook value! I heard they tend to lowball the value of them.
Lets be safe out there!

Last edited:

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Ouch, I cant believe it didnt rip the wheels off from the look of it. What side swiped him?

dclark

Veteran Member
NewTdi said:
Wow, this is bad! It looks like Jonathan ... is it! Dude that suck!
I am so sorry for the accident and for your loss of a very nice Tdi.
I wonder now what the insurance company is going to give it as a bluebook value! I heard they tend to lowball the value of them.
Lets be safe out there!
Bluebook is a trademark for a company (Peterson?) I forget, it undervalues cars. There are other guides out there, but it is important to note that the value of a TDi can vary greatly from one area to another. Insurance companies are required to give you enough money to replace that vehicle.
It would help if you collect classified ads, ebay listings, etc, to make a case.
Fwiw, I used to be a claims adjuster and this is my advice. Hold tough, real tough on the value of the car. In my experience, adjusters want to settle the property damage asap so as to close that out and focus on bodily injury.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those pictures are great proof as to why VWs are worth the cost and hassle. I am glad you're both OK, and shudder to think what it would have been like with a car that wasn't so structurally sound and airbag heavy. Cars can be replaced. People cannot. You'll find another, I'm sure.

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
Hey, guys, yeah it's me Jonathan.... haven't been around lately because for some reason I can't sign in, and it won't send me a password change... so I created a new account.... Thanks for the kind words all.... very many people are surprised that my brother and I both got out of the car under our own power...... my brothers cat however did suffer a dislocated hip... it might heal alright.... and yes.... I am looking for a gasser:eek: preferably a '05 GLI... just want a change for a bit.... as far as reimbursment, I've got esurance so I'm bookmarking all TDi ads on C-list and autotrader so that I can attach them to an e-mail whenever they offer me a settlement for the car.... I'm hopeing for between 12-13k... judgeing by what they are asking for them on-line right now car had 122k miles on it at time of accident, and mild mods...

Oh, and thanks for posting the pics for me Anders

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
you call your mild mods? I'll buy them if they are mild? A Gli would be a nice change but then again after filling up with Bio and #2, you'll have to remember that it will be unleaded going forward ... sometimes habints are hard to break.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Yeah Yeah said:
ach them to an e-mail whenever they offer me a settlement for the car.... I'm hopeing for between 12-13k... judgeing by what they are asking for them on-line right now car had 122k miles on it at time of accident, and mild mods...
$12k sounds just about right for a 2001, in the current California marketplace.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
My biggest fear is that my TDI will fall victim to something like this. Glad you and your brother are ok, sorry to hear about the cat.

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
Well, went and drove a mkIV gli, and i'm not too sure I'm really all that keen on it.... it was fast don't get me wrong... but it didn't seem to have that raw grunt that my tdi had.... I kept thinkin wow, my TDi might be able to hang/take this thing to 90mph.... so the search for a good replacement golf TDi has begun.... this one will come back bigger and badder I'm thinkin... IF all goes well...........

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Best way to show value of used TDI's.

Sorry for your loss and the harm done to you all.

Others have been where you are and have found the TDI Club members that are dealers and sell used TDI's quite helpful with offering letters of current market valuation of equivalent TDI's with similiar features and mileage to present to insurance appraisers.

Do a Forum search and locate the threads where they have offered just such services in the past. They show up in this sub forum and in others; I'm just not sure right now exactly who offered what. I do know one dealer was in LA area and the other in Oregon but at this late hour and me being tired from a trip I just do not recall their ID's.

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
Jackbear said:
Sorry for your loss and the harm done to you all.

Others have been where you are and have found the TDI Club members that are dealers and sell used TDI's quite helpful with offering letters of current market valuation of equivalent TDI's with similiar features and mileage to present to insurance appraisers.

Do a Forum search and locate the threads where they have offered just such services in the past. They show up in this sub forum and in others; I'm just not sure right now exactly who offered what. I do know one dealer was in LA area and the other in Oregon but at this late hour and me being tired from a trip I just do not recall their ID's.
Yeah, after searchin around last night I came across a TDi dealership right next door to me in walnut creek.... maybe I'll swing by and chat it up with them.... we TDi'ers gotta stick together.....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I know you'd like to replace your Golf as soon as possible. But there are many TDIs being offered for sale that are not in good condition. Most of the time dealers have no information on how a car was maintained, and very little idea of what it needs in immediate repairs.

Don't jump on the first thing you find, unless the price is so attractive that you just can't pass it by.

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
TornadoRed said:
I know you'd like to replace your Golf as soon as possible. But there are many TDIs being offered for sale that are not in good condition. Most of the time dealers have no information on how a car was maintained, and very little idea of what it needs in immediate repairs.

Don't jump on the first thing you find, unless the price is so attractive that you just can't pass it by.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the one I looked at today is in need of a TB...it's got 88k on it and the paper work they DID have sugest no recent work....but it does give me some ammo on talkin them down aleast enough to get it done... any obvious way to tell if it has been done????... if things fall together perfectly maybe I can get up to Tahoe this weekend for the tb gtg there... gotta talk to the folks gettin that together, see if Aaron can roll with another kit....

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
Well the official word from the insurance company: totaled... $18k worth of damage...so now to find a decent replacement, anybody feel like going to pleasanton automall with me tomorow to take a look at an '02..... it's got 88k not sure the belt has been done... and it felt sorta sluggish when I drove it yesterday, i'm thinkin glogged intake and poss sticky vanes??(then again I'm used to my mild mods;))

oops, same car as mentioned above....

Gage

TDI
98 Jetta
Yeah Yeah said:
Yeah, after searchin around last night I came across a TDi dealership right next door to me in walnut creek.... maybe I'll swing by and chat it up with them.... we TDi'ers gotta stick together.....
What is the name of the place in Walnut Creek? There is also a place up in Ukiah that my dad got an 05 Passat TDI from them, I think their name is AHL or ALH or something like that.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Are you going to buy back your TDI and part it out?

What happens to your poor Golf that got creamed?

Are you in a place where you could get a dead-engine gasser Golf with a good body and do a TDI swap out?

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
Gage said:
What is the name of the place in Walnut Creek? There is also a place up in Ukiah that my dad got an 05 Passat TDI from them, I think their name is AHL or ALH or something like that.
http://www.lehmannmotors.com/

And as far as the car goes.... I do have the option to buy it back... only issue is the space... there just isn't any between the '56, the rail, the flatbed trailer, and the owner/friend is supposed to be bringing his '57, and his boat home soon enough....

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Yeah Yeah said:
http://www.lehmannmotors.com/

And as far as the car goes.... I do have the option to buy it back... only issue is the space... there just isn't any between the '56, the rail, the flatbed trailer, and the owner/friend is supposed to be bringing his '57, and his boat home soon enough....
Jonathan,
you can store it at my warehouse and then once the engine and all the parts are out then get it picked-up.

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
NewTdi said:
Jonathan,
you can store it at my warehouse and then once the engine and all the parts are out then get it picked-up.
Well, my buddy Adam says I could keep it out at his place.... just got off the phone with lehmann motors.... really nice guy, sorta a mom and pop gig.... they just might have something for me in the form of a Golf PD.... we'll see how things go

oh, yeah, the car in pleasanton got sold this morning at 9:(

Last edited:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Yeah Yeah said:
Well, my buddy Adam says I could keep it out at his place.... just got off the phone with lehmann motors.... really nice guy, sorta a mom and pop gig.... they just might have something for me in the form of a Golf PD.... we'll see how things go

oh, yeah, the car in pleasanton got sold this morning at 9:(
Jonathan, if you get that PD Golf, make sure it's had the right 501.01 oil in it during it's life...

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
dlai said:
Jonathan, if you get that PD Golf, make sure it's had the right 501.01 oil in it during it's life...

duly noted, told the guy I will deff need to see actual paperwork on the maintanance... esp. for 18.5k for an '04-'05 golf with 55k on it... i'm pretty sure that after our conversation he is quite aware of the fact that I am a TDI guy and not a random person that doesn't know exactly what's goin on with these cars.....

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
New news, spoke with the person responsible for the total loss of the car, and preliminary is they are offering 8.9k:mad: although it doesn't surprise me..... apparently they use an outside company to base the offer off of.... I asked if this is per blue book or fair market value, and she said fair market, blue book is usually too much:eek::confused::rolleyes: so I said ok.... well have they looked at the prices her in the bay area, she said well, they are having issues trying to find a comprably vehicle(no ****, tell me about it, i'm trying to find a replacement)... apparently they've only been able to find two comprable cars and they are both down south....... I'm friggin speachless right now, or not seeing as how more I can ramble on about these idiots....

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Do your research and don't let them low ball you. When my BMW 528e was totaled I had just replaced the rotors, tires, done a major service, etc. They told me that was regular maint. and they were not responsible for my recent repairs. State Farm tried to tell me may car was only worth three thousand. I fought hard and got nearly six on a car that was easily worth eight. Not only was it pristine but it had a really clean Boston Acoustics sound system with an Alpine head unit and CD changer. Keep in mind this was ten years ago.

I called their supposed comps. One was a car that needed a transmission! Five grand for a BMW transmission! That car sold for about three thousand!!!

It happened to me again on my one ton van. Actually I've had a couple companies try to total that one out. One when a tree fell on it and another when someone drove into the side of me. I fought and won both times by proving my van is not comparable to the vehicles they were using as comps. My van was built to spec and it cost me twenty five thousand to purchase in 1994. It's book value is low but it's a great vehicle. Still drives as smooth as a caddy and solid as an ox! You don't want to get hit by that hunk of steel.

The key is to make the point that your car is or was pristine and unique. Get your own comps and stick to your guns. I bet you can negotiate them up at lease two or three thousand if you work at it. I won't not take anything less then ten. Oh, and get rental car coverage too. They should be paying you at least twenty-five to fifty per day regardless of whether you actually rent a car. They are on the hook for that from the date of the incident until they deliver you a check.

Last edited:

Yeah Yeah

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 slvr TDi(R.I.P)
NFSTDI said:
Do your research and don't let them low ball you. When my BMW 528e was totaled I had just replaced the rotors, tires, done a major service, etc. They told me that was regular maint. and they were not responsible for my recent repairs. State Farm tried to tell me may car was only worth three thousand. I fought hard and got nearly six on a car that was easily worth eight. Not only was it pristine but it had a really clean Boston Acoustics sound system with an Alpine head unit and CD changer. Keep in mind this was ten years ago.

I called their supposed comps. One was a car that needed a transmission! Five grand for a BMW transmission! That car sold for about three thousand!!!

It happened to me again on my one ton van. Actually I've had a couple companies try to total that one out. One when a tree fell on it and another when someone drove into the side of me. I fought and won both times by proving my van is not comparable to the vehicles they were using as comps. My van was built to spec and it cost me twenty five thousand to purchase in 1994. It's book value is low but it's a great vehicle. Still drives as smooth as a caddy and solid as an ox! You don't want to get hit by that hunk of steel.

The key is to make the point that your car is or was pristine and unique. Get your own comps and stick to your guns. I bet you can negotiate them up at lease two or three thousand if you work at it. I won't not take anything less then ten. Oh, and get rental car coverage too. They should be paying you at least twenty-five to fifty per day regardless of whether you actually rent a car. They are on the hook for that from the date of the incident until they deliver you a check.

Oh trust me, they haven't seen me roll over and show them my belly yet.... Both cars were on the market like a month ago... one at a wholesale house... the other I found an old ad for on autotrader I think and it was beat to crap..... I'll only be mildly satisfied if they give me enough to pay it off(just over 10k)... and as far as rental, yeah I have rental coverage, a measly 25 a day better than nothin, and the rental car company bumped me up to a slightly larger car for free when they saw how tall I was.....

dclark

Veteran Member
Please, don't let them low ball. Remember, I used to be a claims adjuster; i know how this works all too well. Ask for what you want, then stick to it. Generally, if it isn't outrageous, they'll settle for it to close out the PD part of the claim. Seriously, demand it ! You know that any used car you get carries risks that most don't, like clooged intakes, bad turbos, etc.
The one example that came to mind was a wrecked toyota dually- these things were rare and rarely up for sale because they valued as being reliable and econonmical by those who owned them. The rarity of your car will work in your favor. The insurance company knows that they have legal obligation to make you whole. Also, do you have an attorney? if you don't, threaten to get one, or allude, if you don't get what you want. If you have any specific questions, drop me a pm.

Also, a lot of people don't know that they negotiate to keep the car that is totaled. Generally, the insurance company is supposed to get bids for the salvage, but you can make a go for it.I tell you what, if you have the garage and the know how, that TDI powertrain, dropped into an old rabbit convertible, would make a for a fine, fun in the sun thumper of a car!