www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 10th, 2019, 04:59   #1
nikolay_ss

TDI(s): 1.9TDI ALH
Default ALH TDI Overboost problems

Hello guys,

I have modified ALH with 11mm pump, DE143, Bosio DLC 1019 (0.216um), GT1749VA, 3 bar map sensor, air intake and intake manifold from PD130/150 and some more minor mods.
I use stock N75 map from ASZ and boost target map till 50mg also stock from ASZ, for 60mg-65mg(near 4V pump voltage) I did set it to go at 2400mbar at 2000rpm, 2500mbar at 2250rpm till 3750rpm.
The problem is that in any other gear, but not 5th it goes to like 3000mbar and don't go back if I did not let the gas pedal. If I WOT it at 5th gear it goes for peak of 2700mbar then goes back to 2500mbar and everything is good, but if I do this in 3rd gear it goes to 3000mbar and never come back until I release the gas pedal. Any ideas?
The geometry is clean, and actuator moves free. Not sure if this problem may be caused from N75. Because I have no problems at 5th gear, everything is as it needs to be.

Thanks!
nikolay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 13:46   #2
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-35mpg

How long has it been doing this? Could be sticky veins.
Yourbuddysatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 21:56   #3
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

I reckon its boost creep, gt1749va is a rater small turbo for 11mm pump and your nozzles... I suggest you go for a bigger turbo:gt1749vb, bv43, gtb1749vk,etc...
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 09:02   #4
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-35mpg

I’d check the actuator setting. Myturbodiesel.com has good videos on your tube of how to check and adjust your actuator. Also check your vacuum lines and vac pump.

I made a mistake and thought I had a loose vac line and plugged it. Well my turbo was crushing over 30lbs and holding. Wasn’t a good ending. Then I tried to increase the boost by adjusting the actuator only by 1inhg and it made too too much boost in lower gears.
Yourbuddysatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 03:19   #5
nikolay_ss

Okay, so I got all the maps from ASZ engine, because my turbo is from ASZ.
I got turbo related maps, PID maps and drivers wish from ASZ, now boost is acting way better I still have some big peaks, but it's because I'm MAP smoke limited and if I press harder it pushes a lot of unburnt fuel and turbo spins a lot.
Thanks for your help!
Old June 17th, 2019, 21:37   #6
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

As i said, you have too much fuel and turbo is not man enough for the job ! Its spiking too quick and you will kill it that way ! I do hope you know how to stop the engine in case of a runaway ! Get a larger turbo there, pushing too much fuel wont do it much good ! Get a 3 bar map sensor if you don't have one already...
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:41   #7
nikolay_ss

Thanks, Adams.
Well I'm not injecting maximum fuel, everything is set correctly, just in case I smash the gas pedal then I got peaks, because of MAP smoke limiter which is not calculating the fuel I can burn. The last 2 days even if I smash it, the turbo is not going more than 1.6 peak, I did open the geometry a bit more at max mg and everything seems to work fine now. And yes I do have 3 bar map sensor
Old June 21st, 2019, 14:43   #8
jeff@tdiecutuning

Fuel Economy: 5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
How long has it been doing this? Could be sticky veins.

I would bet the vnt is sticky i see this all the time and if its not sticky the ring on the inside could be starting to wear out. best way to check this is to remove the vnt actuator off the arm and move it by hand it should move free and not hang up at all.
jeff@tdiecutuning is offline   Reply With Quote