Strange BV43 turbo performance - suggestions?

K Brondbjerg

TDI
Passat 2003 Limousin AVF 6g.
I upgraded my Passat 2003 Limousin PD 130 AVF with a P&P BV43 turbo part number 03G145702H / engine codes BRD and BVA
I ordered one of the best performance-pros in Denmark to chip my car, but he toeld that the boost pressure was weak by 2000 rev, and first hit max. pressure 1,5 - 1,6 bar by 2500 revs. :-( - see picture below.
The Nm. is also strange between 2.500 and 3.500, and it is not the same figure every time?

He toeld me that it might be a old katalysator that must be exchanged and/or the BV 43 turbo might be faulty?
Any suggestions?
Ps. I run my car in limp mode (55 Ps) for 1.000 km. before chipping it.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Run VCDS Log file, channels 3,8 and 11. 4.gear, Wot, 1500rpm@-> limiter.

Last edited:

K Brondbjerg

TDI
Passat 2003 Limousin AVF 6g.
Weak pump or untight hoses?

I have asked another mechanic, and he toeld me that he has often repaired untight systems or old pumps. There is also some times a kind of valve in between that some times need to be bypassed?
He has first time in a few weeks, but I will report back - Tanks for the help

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
170hp bv43 I find never spools really good. feels dead below 2k but shines at 2k5-3k5.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
Sorry to wake up an old thread,but i think i have got the same strange things!
My car is 2003 audi a4 b6 1.9pdtdi AVF quattro 6 speed manual
With:
Bv43 from 170pd
Front mount intercooler
Egr off
Cat off
Kevlar clutch
Vac system simplyfication
My problem is that i have got my vnt system setted who do things like this all day!My emap and imap is nearly the same (like imap=emap+0,5bar)
Car feels dead under 2000-2200rpm....
i read with this turbo you can get nearly 200hp,but my can feels like i have got no turbo...its not that strong
i can post my ecu files and logs if thats help!

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
How much EMP at idle? 0.2bar is good adjust for stop screw.

What is AFR level when turbo is spooling up?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You wont get that good boost response from a bv43, i suggest you get a bv43a cartridge and swap it in, it has a billet compressor wheel and an extra set of blades compared with the pd170 bv43. With a bit of adjusting the duty cycle and PID you can get satisfactory spool from a kkk bv43 turbo just dont expect wonders ! As others said they do shine in midrange...

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
Yes i know about spool i dont want to spool as fast as 1749va but i think mine spools even worse i think i got 1bar at 2000 rpm.
At the moment i dont know about idle speed exhaust manifold pressure but how can i adjust the stop spcrew professionally ? At idle speed with watching emp adjust screw to read 0.2bar?
About the afr i dont know how can i check that from the software? I got a little black smoke when doing wot 3rd gear to 4000rpm.
And also rod lenght settings is question, with 4000rpm how much percentage is good to have in n75 readings i think now i got something like 74%
How can i check or adjust pid control?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Anyone has some suggestion how to reduce lagg below 2000rpm? Apart from turbo change.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!

aT the moment im making an emp adapter and guge to read emp.
I searched on this forum about vnt stop screw setting i got some news, when the tester is ready i will check for(forum writes 0.2bar amp at idle,and at 2000rpm in neutral my turbo should make 2-4psi)
Any suggestions about or anything i should check too?
And an other question how much emp is bad when the vanes are closed and accelerate the car?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
You wont get that good boost response from a bv43, i suggest you get a bv43a cartridge and swap it in, it has a billet compressor wheel and an extra set of blades compared with the pd170 bv43. With a bit of adjusting the duty cycle and PID you can get satisfactory spool from a kkk bv43 turbo just dont expect wonders ! As others said they do shine in midrange...
swaps right into the pd170 bv43 exhaust housing? what about compressor housing ? thanks!

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Swaps over into the pd housings both hot and cold... Its plug and play ! I would keep the CR exhaust housing as the flange outlet is bigger and can flow more however its rotated at a different angle and it will require a new flange ! I have done a pd 100 with a bv43a and that was really good !

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Swaps over into the pd housings both hot and cold... Its plug and play ! I would keep the CR exhaust housing as the flange outlet is bigger and can flow more however its rotated at a different angle and it will require a new flange ! I have done a pd 100 with a bv43a and that was really good !
awesome! thanks!

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!

So i made a ic boost leak tester and i got no leaks,made an emp gauge with 0-1bar at idle speed i got 0 ZERO pressure.....no matter where i screw the stop screw even took out the screw i got zero pressure.....with vcds engine 11 basic settings rpm go 1400 vnt on off and i got zero pressure in EMP boost is 959 to 1053mbar....but i got no emp pressure,then i tested i got 0.2bar emp at 1600rpm,and when i floor it in neutral it goes 1+ (the gauge reads 1 bar max pressure)
So my question is This blue BV43 from 2.0pdtdi really this slow and laggy and ****??
Im angry now.....
Guys what kind of turbos are good to make lets say 1.7bar stabile and builds boost fast,good to daily drive and cheap?

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
You have something mechanical problem with your turbo, vnt adjust or EMP Gauge. Maybe too long VNT rod or too low vacuum.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!

Nope my problem is still there!
Yucca : i think emp gauge is okay but i will check that 2x,i setted my rod lengt to minimal i can so there is no more thread on the rod the sympthom is the same,i have got a vc gauge and vac pump i measured my vac and its -0,7bar on the actuator.
Im really courious how this turbo works with the factory 2.0pdtdi 170hp....
Because with my setup 1.9pdtdi 130...its lagging like hell....dont even feel the power its like a non turboed car below 2000-2200rpm....above that its okay not fantastic but okay....my 1749va did better power all rev range than this turbo....
At the moment i dont have any idea....maybe my actuator can pull up enough to close vnt and produce boost or produce idle speed emp?
Any suggestions?

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you really need some emp@idle if you want to use all your low end potential of that turbo. What is n75 duty cycle at that point?

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello i have ot a video about but can upload yet im at basic settings, n75 duty cycle 0-100% rpm 1400 boost 959,4 to 1053 mbar.
EMP gauge shows 0 pressure.Emp gauge starts showing pressure ~ 1500-1600rpm (needle starts moving there)

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo cannot make that 1053mbar boost without EMP.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
How is hole where the original EGT sensor is fitted? Did you plugged something there without leaks?

On 1.9tdi, an original brd turbo makes at least 150mbar during basic settings,meaning 1100+mbar.
If you can't achieve that, then you have leaks,either in exhaust system (that's why the emp is 0) or in intake,but is less probable because after some rpm you gave boost.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Hello guys!
Yucca: i will check EMP again with a cummins pressure reader witch is digital and its very sensytive maybe my manual gauge cheats....
Arazvan: i have got an egt meter,visually there is no exhaust leaks,dont hear anything bad either here is a picture about my setup i hope you can see not the best pic!
[/URL][/IMG]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ7XTU2HFMI
Here is a video about the measurement!

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
Where do you measure your EMP? There is no gauge in EGR Plate.

Ricsi168

TDI
2.5 V6 TDI; 1.9PDTDI AVF
Yes on the picture there is no emp meter , i have got an egr blanking plate witch has a hole in the center abd there goes my gauge so i measured emp where the egr blanking plate is!