www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:44   #196
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian2170 View Post
I got the car 5 days ago and am getting 55 to 57 MPG. Anybody else see numbers like this? It's most highway driving.

They are certainly capable of that. I too have a 2015 Sportwagen, and my best tank was 62.6 mpg (hand-calculated, not the car's highly-optimistic display). You can see all of my fill-ups in my clickable Fuelly signature.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:25   #197
ranger pete

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Read the first few, then last few pages of this thread. Will read the rest later.

Some good info, but I do have a nit or two to pick.

It was said that coasting is always more efficient than engine braking. I disagree slightly.

Coasting in neutral uses fuel. Not much, but some. engine braking, in general, uses none.

Therefore if you have any need at all for deceleration leave it in gear.

I have a lot of experience hypermiling manual gassers and I would generally use engine off coasting when possible, bump starting when power was needed.

I am guessing that this might not be a wise idea with a newer TDI due to the emission system. I read somewhere that these things like long drives and that frequent very short drives will wreak havoc with the emission system as it is interrupted while running through its cycle.

EOCing is simulating short drives, so should I avoid it? Or maybe only do it when I can benefit from very long coasts?

I also wonder about using P&G. It is a no brainer for gassers as you always want to be in the full load sweet spot. But diesels don't have this sweet spot, to the best of my knowledge, or do they?

Last edited by ranger pete; April 14th, 2019 at 06:28.
ranger pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:14   #198
Mako
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=ranger pete;5499930]Read the first few, then last few pages of this thread. Will read the rest later.
I have a lot of experience hypermiling manual gassers and I would generally use engine off coasting when possible, bump starting when power was needed.

Diesels don't have throttle plates and a high vacuum induction path at low loads (small throttle openings) which is the primary reason for P&G in a gasser
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:57   #199
Webbie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntmeister View Post
To boot - CVT transmissions are actually very simple in design - much simpler than geared automatics and, quite frankly, simpler than manual transmissions as well.

They are likely to be highly reliable and, in the event of a failure, more likely to be repairable by a DIYer than either manual or automatic transmissions.

Basically, they win hands down. I can see a day in the future where all cars are CVT, and manual is not even an option any more. Which blows, cuz I like shifting.
The CVT vehicles that I have driven (rental cars mostly) have led me to the conclusion that I NEVER want one. It's a horrible driving experience. On top of that, do you know of any shops that actually service them? The info that I have, which may be dated, indicated that nobody was actually rebuilding them, but it was a very expensive replacement when something broke on them. I wouldn't own one just based on the miserable driving experience, but the replacement cost on them doubles down on that thought. As usual, opinions vary.

Warner
Webbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 18:37   #200
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

the cvt is very heavy compared slush-boxes and ridiculously heavy compared to any manual.....

they are expensive to repair if they can be fixed without a total replacement compared to a slushbox, and they do fail!....that chain stretches, just like all chains do!.....

that chain that runs back & forth is heavy and very expensive to replace along with the other parts required to fix it when it stretches &/or breaks.....

when that chain goes bad most of the time the CVT eats itself to point most of the time rendering the CVT to be serviceable.....

I know from first hand observations of a nissan car that had one that got far worse mpgs in city driving than a slushbox car over similar city only driving....

today most automakers have decided cvt transmissions do not make sense compared to current multi-speed slushbox(6,7,8,9 speeds , ect...) in their offerings in reliability and real world mpgs...

I have no intention of ever owning a vehicle with one of the current pieces of junk current CVT offerings....
Old June 9th, 2019, 17:08   #201
johnsTDI

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

on my Canadian 2012 TDI i get around 4.5 - 5.2 Liters per every 100km's and that"s using "cruise control set at 115 km's early morning i hit no traffic." so when converted over in u.s.a miles im ruffly getting around 47-50 MPG. Just wondering if leaving cruise control on is best for fuel econo? or turning it off and feathering the gas pedal be better.??
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 05:53   #202
mr_y82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
the cvt is very heavy compared slush-boxes and ridiculously heavy compared to any manual.....
they are expensive to repair if they can be fixed without a total replacement compared to a slushbox, and they do fail!....that chain stretches, just like all chains do!.....
that chain that runs back & forth is heavy and very expensive to replace along with the other parts required to fix it when it stretches &/or breaks.....
when that chain goes bad most of the time the CVT eats itself to point most of the time rendering the CVT to be serviceable.....
I know from first hand observations of a nissan car that had one that got far worse mpgs in city driving than a slushbox car over similar city only driving....
today most automakers have decided cvt transmissions do not make sense compared to current multi-speed slushbox(6,7,8,9 speeds , ect...) in their offerings in reliability and real world mpgs...
I have no intention of ever owning a vehicle with one of the current pieces of junk current CVT offerings....
Well said...

We have a 2011 Legacy with CVT... we are getting about 26mpgs (and it is not like we drive it like a sports car)... They have been problematic for a lot of people (TSBs, but we are holding out for a recall for some sub pars parts). Anyway, my 2001 AWD e46 (BMW 325xi) gets abut 27mpgs with my heavy foot (albeit it always get premium fuel, and has to for the tune...)... They are both 2.5s but the Bimmer has 2 extra cylinders and is faster (weights are comparable due to the BMW being AWD)... So, I have trouble buying that CVTs are 15% more efficient in the real world.

Pre-tune: ~10k-70k mi = 40.5 mpgs; mpgs since tune_f_u_e_l_l_y_ ^
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 08:55   #203
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
on my Canadian 2012 TDI i get around 4.5 - 5.2 Liters per every 100km's and that"s using "cruise control set at 115 km's early morning i hit no traffic." so when converted over in u.s.a miles im ruffly getting around 47-50 MPG. Just wondering if leaving cruise control on is best for fuel econo? or turning it off and feathering the gas pedal be better.??
If you know what you are doing, cruise control isn't the best. If you were on completely level ground with no traffic at all then maybe. Look up pulse and glide as a technique. I have read of those who have used it properly and it seems to work better, but requires constant attention to detail. It would seem to be hard to keep up for any great length of time though. Can be a detriment in traffic if used. My opinion only.
Old June 15th, 2019, 18:34   #204
johnsTDI

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If you know what you are doing, cruise control isn't the best. If you were on completely level ground with no traffic at all then maybe. Look up pulse and glide as a technique. I have read of those who have used it properly and it seems to work better, but requires constant attention to detail. It would seem to be hard to keep up for any great length of time though. Can be a detriment in traffic if used. My opinion only.
at 3:00am in the mornining way before rush hour hits i dont care im setting Cruise Control on the highway and letting it drive me
i see awesome fuel mileage numbers in the 47-50 mpg's range alot better than what was originally posted by EPA.?
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 18:57   #205
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Why did you ask then? I just answered your question about is cruise control the best for economy. Use it or don't, whichever you choose.