Toyo Proxes R88R Tires thoughts

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Hey guys just ordered these tires in hoping for better traction anyone have experience with them(Toyo Proxes R88R Tires 225/45R17) is the size I got for my long beach rims. Once I get them in I will be doing a review to the difference from a normal tire. I posted this in the wrong thread before sorry for double posting.....

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Just seeing if you got the tires and how you like them? I'm currently running a set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs on my track car and have considered trying the Toyo R888Rs to see how they compare.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
It really depends on how hard you push the car on the track and how much you torture your tires. Also, do you have the capability for dedicated track tires? If so, maybe consider the Toyo RR.

The Toyo R888R should do better on the track if you are pushing the car hard and finding the limits of the RE-71R's. They have a nice reputation as a track tire - a lot of Porsche guys run them. They wear out fast though. They're considered a streetable track tire.

The RE-71R's that you're running are considered a trackable street tire. In my experience, they can overheat if pushed too hard on a track. The new Falken RT660's are very comparable to the RE-71R's - grippy as hell, but might give up something if they get too hot. I had the Falkens on my TDI for a little while; superb grip. The Falken RT615K+ is a good tire to step to for the track if you don't want to jump to something as aggressive as the R888R. NT-01's are another good track tire to consider. I think they're actually a bit cheaper.

The RT615K+ and the NT-01 are old tech tires though, which is also why they're a bit cheaper.

http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2017/3/19/tire-test-toyo-r888r-and-hankook-rs4

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/falken-azenis-rt-660-tire-test-autocross-and-track/

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link on the review of the R888R tires.:)

I think I'll always have a set of 200 TW tires for the days that aren't ideal. Kinda like having a set of "rain" tires to fall back on should the weather change from nice and sunny to dealing with afternoon showers.

I have kicked around the idea of getting a set of used slicks from this site, since they're located right here in WI and can bring the tires to Road America when I have a track day there, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping.:D
GTRacingTires.com.

Another site that does the same thing. https://usedracingtires.com/

With the limited number of track days I'll be going to this year and maybe next year, I won't be needing new track tires for a while.:(

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
From what I've seen others say, used race slicks are generally a good idea when you're doing a handful of track days a year or so. Nice and cheap, and they're already broken in!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. The used slicks cost less than a brand new set of 200 TW tires that I would normally run. I should probably think about buying a 3rd set of wheels to mount the slicks on, so I have 3 sets of tires to choose from depending on the weather. I just need to figure out what set of wheels to try and find in a 17" rim size...

The 2 options right now are Dunlop Direzza V2 Star Spec that are at about 50-60% on 17x8 OZ Superleggeras.

The other option is Bridgestone RE-71Rs that are ~95% on 17x8 OZ Superleggeras. I guess you could say I like the OZ Superleggeras.:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, but add a couple of pictures.:p

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
When I had my MK4 GTI, I had it on 17x8 RPF1's. Just a classic look and only 15.5 lbs. If you don't order them direct from Tire Rack, I'm sure you can get a better offset so the spokes are flush.

I had 17x8 RPF1's on my TDI, as well.

But they've since moved to a new home:

I've got Star Specs on my MK2, but on 15x7 Rota Slipsteams (10 lbs).

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
You've definitely had and currently have some very nice looking VWs!:eek: Great minds must think alike since you had a TDI for awhile and ended up with a Golf R.

Yeah, I've considered going with a set of RPF1s since they're readily available and they're one of the lightest wheels available for the MKIV chassis. Just like I have an affinity to the Superleggeras, you seem to like the RPF1s.;)

Wow! Those are some insanely light rims for your MK2.

I'll have to keep an eye on the classifieds on here and Vortex for a set of RPF1s that'll work for my cars.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Just seeing if you got the tires and how you like them? I'm currently running a set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs on my track car and have considered trying the Toyo R888Rs to see how they compare.
Man sorry took so long for reply but I love them no issues at all with traction let me tell you